The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Zomby...I think you are somewhat near to me...should the itch need scratching, let me know (PM me) and we can get together, I can bring the DS and T-DR...

Your wife sounds very very much like mine...or, maybe YOU do?...you are a lucky pair
Old 09-14-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Brucebubs, you're killing me...that is one beautiful guitar!
Old 09-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
Maybe I need to get my ears checked lol. I do have a cold...
Lol... I think that could explain it!

I need to restring my H&D. Think this thread has made me do it. Thanks, guys.

Those Virginia boys can make some fine guitars!
Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM

Huss & Dalton instruments are made just down the road a bit from me, and I've had the chance to play quite a few models over the years. My buddy had a T-OO14 and a TOM-M, and I've been able to spend some significant time on both of those. Wonderful guitars, but I believe they have their own sound—not one I'd necessarily equate to either Martin or Gibson. And of course different models sound very different from guitar to guitar, as do different wood combinations, etc.

My favorite was one just like the maple-bodied model Brucebubs posted above. I played that one at Fret Mill Music Store in Roanoke, VA years ago and it just sang.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
Huss & Dalton instruments are made just down the road a bit from me, and I've had the chance to play quite a few models over the years. My buddy had a T-OO14 and a TOM-M, and I've been able to spend some significant time on both of those. Wonderful guitars, but I believe they have their own sound—not one I'd necessarily equate to either Martin or Gibson. And of course different models sound very different from guitar to guitar, as do different wood combinations, etc.

My favorite was one just like the maple-bodied model Brucebubs posted above. I played that one at Fret Mill Music Store in Roanoke, VA years ago and it just sang.

Now, on my third H&D (all dreadnoughts), I, too, hear Huss & Dalton guitars as having their own kind of tone; very open, forward, and complex while having clear note articulation. If I was to recommend a stellar-toned H&D model that doesn't seem to get much mention on AGF, it would be the Huss & Dalton D-RH, which I had. This model is a full and resonant lap-piano with power! I also had the Huss & Dalton DS (Rosewood) Slope-Shouldered Dreadnought, which was a boomer!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-14-2019, 04:58 PM

The only Huss and Dalton guitar I picked up was a dreadnought which looked and sounded like a Martin.

Nice enough guitar though!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:30 PM

My DS Crossroads is my favorite guitar. It is certainly one of the best guitars I've ever played if not the best. Do I think it sounds like a Gibson or Martin? No. It is certainly a Gibson J-45 inspired model, but much more lively and sweeter than any of the J45s I've played.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-15-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I guess I can see where H&D is sort of a mix of Gibson and Martin tones. But I think the result is a unique tone of their own. These are amazing guitars. My Crossroads is one of those guitars that always floors me if I haven't played it in a while and pick it up. When a guitar you've had for more than 6 years still has that "wow" factor, you know it's a good one. And I've had my 00 even longer and have the same reaction.

We all have our own personal tastes and I suppose there might be people who just don't care for Huss & Dalton guitars. But there's no denying that they are top-quality instruments consistent with the best and longest-standing traditions of American guitar making. I've owned three, still own two, and have played a bunch of others. I'm in a post GAS stage of life now. I haven't acquired anything in about two years and that was a guitar I literally was able to get for free. But if there were any guitar brand that would tempt me, I think it's H&D.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 AM

I own a Huss & Dalton TOM-M with an Italian Spruce top and a Martin CS-00-21. I love them both but it's tough to compare tones as it's mahogany to rosewood, but I'll just agree with everyone else and say that H&D has its own thing going on.

I've always thought of Martins as having a growl to them, but H&D has a bite. My guitar is warm, resonant, sweet in the trebles, and clear for sure -- but I can definitely hear an edge to it that reveals the bluegrass influence of the makers.

As for Gibson, I don't really have enough experience to make any conclusions, except that when I think Gibson, I think thump, quick decay, and sweetness. Not much like my H&D (but it could be different with the Crossroad series).

The bottom line is that Huss & Dalton guitars are awesome.

I recently visited Rudy's guitars in SoHo and they currently have about five H&D guitars on the floor, and just as many Collings and Santa Cruzes. They also have a handful of Martins and Gibsons, so if anyone's interested in comparing for themselves -- make a trip to NYC.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
While they have a voice of their own, they usually get compared to the Martin camp. I actually think they lean more towards Gibson’s. Even my TOM-R has kind of a woody/jangly sound. But it also has a ton of clarity and lushness to its voice. Basically it’s almost the perfect cross between the Gibson and Martin tone in some ways, with a heavier lean towards Gibson.

The clarity of a Taylor
The woody jangle of a Gibson
The bass/overtones and lushness of a good Martin

Talk about a complex voice.

Pretty awesome guitars
Hi pp

I have a friend with a 15 year old Huss and Dalton D-28 copy that sounds more like a D-28 than most D-28s do. It sounds and plays like my old Martin D-28 did.

Perhaps they are good at building different models of instruments which reflect the character of the company they mimic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-15-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I don't have a lot of experience with H&D, but I hear Martin low end coupled with Collings mids and highs.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-15-2019, 09:07 AM

In between Martin and Gibson. In my opinion its a better sound than either but different people like different things.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
In between Martin and Gibson. In my opinion its a better sound than either but different people like different things.
I am fortunate to own a T-00 14 and have to agree here. This H&D is the most balanced guitar I have ever played. Deep bass with very defined mids and sparkling highs.....with a voice all its own.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM

Default H&D

I played a few different H&D's last weekend in Nashville. I didn't here any Gibson tone from any of them. Like others have said - they have their own tone. I think a cross between Collings and Martin.

I fell in love with a custom 00 that I am selling some gear to buy. It had Bubinga back/sides with an Italian spruce top and koa binding. Stuning to look at and play. Again - nothing like a Gibson.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:39 PM

I am fortunate to have two H&D’s. To me they have their own voice. Very balanced, clean and articulate, with impressive sustain and harmonics.

My 000-12 fret is the best sounding guitar I have yet played.

Yes, the folks in Staunton are doing things very well indeed.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200

Last edited by dhockenbury; 09-16-2019 at 07:26 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion