The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-26-2016, 08:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Soundport looks cool. It will be interesting to hear how you think it affects the sound if any. The overall theme is coming together nicely.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-27-2016, 05:23 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Really nice looking guitar. It's good to see Jonathan's work finally coming together, and that there are some people who are patient enough to hang in there. I love the wood choices and the appointments. Nicely done!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Soundport looks cool. It will be interesting to hear how you think it affects the sound if any. The overall theme is coming together nicely.
Thanks, Ryan--I'm stoked to check it out in SB and see how the soundport compares to my others. Looking forward to seeing you and Steve as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Really nice looking guitar. It's good to see Jonathan's work finally coming together, and that there are some people who are patient enough to hang in there. I love the wood choices and the appointments. Nicely done!
Thanks, Mike--it's been a long road, but well worth the wait!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Close to the finish...

Winding down to the final details...

Jonathan and I discussed several options for the headstock, but finally decided to keep it fairly simple to match the other elements we had going on. Jonathan came up with the idea of turning the Malaysian grain pattern side to side on the headstock with a burl segment running up and down. This way it would match the way the grain runs on the soundport. It ended up being a pretty cool touch in my opinion.

Originally we thought we'd leave the fretboard blank, but I thought I'd like to see some of the burl color as a 12th fret marker. Jonathan was concerned that we might be overplaying the burl card, so I left the final decision up to him. He was going to take a look at things once the neck was in place and see what he thought. Ultimately, he decided to put in a 12th fret marker--I'm glad he did because it turned out awesome!

So here are some shots "in the white" before going into finishing. Don't know if Jonathan will have time for final glamour shots, so this may be the balance of the pictures for awhile. For those of you going to SB, play stop by the Razo table and take it for a spin. Jonathan will also have a beautiful Coco OM with him as well for folks to try out.

Thanks again for checking out Razo 19...

And a couple of teaser shots during the finishing process...

Life is good!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Interesting take on the sound port! A close up would be nice really like the 12th fret inlay, the slanted heel, the bevel... very nice guitar overall! Would definitely go check it out if I were going!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Razo OM

Kevin, that set of Malaysian BW looks amazing under finish! The sound port, bevel and burl accents work together very well too. I look forward to checking out your new Razo OM and hopefully meeting up with you at SBAIC later this week.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Sorry I am a little late to the party, but made it just before all the adult beverages are gone I hope!

Congrats nemoman on a great build. It sounds like it came out EXACTLY as you had in your minds eye, which is really cool. I hope it sounds as good as it looks because it looks really good!

Looking forward to updates as you find time. I am interested in the port as well as it is so different from any I have seen and wonder with the size how much sound you will get from there!
Old 09-27-2016, 01:29 PM

That's a beautiful set of Malaysian Blackwood !!!!

In regards to the soundport question, I've been building with what I call a transverse soundport for a few years now. I've included a photo below. The location is slightly different than what Razo is doing; however, the size and shape of the soundport is very similar. I find this style of soundport to have a more subtle tonal effect on my guitars as opposed to the larger oval port that I offer which I place between the waist and apex of the lower bout. I imagine the same will hold true on this guitar.

Some guitars benefit greatly from soundports and others don't. My instruments are more in the latter group but I do personally enjoy soundports when their effects are subtle rather than predominant.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Interesting take on the sound port! A close up would be nice really like the 12th fret inlay, the slanted heel, the bevel... very nice guitar overall! Would definitely go check it out if I were going!
Wish you could be there to put it through the paces--would love to hear what it would do in your capable hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Kevin, that set of Malaysian BW looks amazing under finish! The sound port, bevel and burl accents work together very well too. I look forward to checking out your new Razo OM and hopefully meeting up with you at SBAIC later this week.
Thanks, Doug--I look forward to having you compare it to your new Razo and meeting up with you. I'll be at the show on Sunday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Sorry I am a little late to the party, but made it just before all the adult beverages are gone I hope!

Congrats nemoman on a great build. It sounds like it came out EXACTLY as you had in your minds eye, which is really cool. I hope it sounds as good as it looks because it looks really good!

Looking forward to updates as you find time. I am interested in the port as well as it is so different from any I have seen and wonder with the size how much sound you will get from there!
Thanks, Tom--it was really a fun build process working out all the details with Jonathan. He was great to work with and a very talented young man. I'm really looking forward to meeting Jonathan and #19 in person and hearing those first few notes and chords. Checking out this style of soundport should be an interesting experience--I'll keep you posted! Thanks again for checking it out...
Old 09-27-2016, 02:28 PM

Kevin,

Looks like it turned out beautifully. I look forward to hearing your opinion about how it sounds and how it is to actually play it. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
That's a beautiful set of Malaysian Blackwood

In regards to the soundport question, I've been building with what I call a transverse soundport for a few years now. I've included a photo below. The location is slightly different than what Razo is doing; however, the size and shape of the soundport is very similar. I find this style of soundport to have a more subtle tonal effect on my guitars as opposed to the larger oval port that I offer which I place between the waist and apex of the lower bout. I imagine the same will hold true on this guitar.

Some guitars benefit greatly from soundports and others don't. My instruments are more in the latter group but I do personally enjoy soundports when their effects are subtle rather than predominant.
Thanks, Simon--if I'm not mistaken you're very familiar with this set of MB?!

Thanks also for your comments and insight regarding the "transverse" soundport. I'm hoping that your experience with them holds true for me. I'm hard of hearing, so I appreciate the playing experience that a soundport affords--it would be nice to have a more subtle tonal effect than the typical round-shaped ones provide.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
...I've been building with what I call a transverse soundport for a few years now...I find this style of soundport to have a more subtle tonal effect on my guitars as opposed to the larger oval port that I offer which I place between the waist and apex of the lower bout. I imagine the same will hold true on this guitar.
I'm not a fan of the visual aspect of sound ports in general, but I think this style looks much better than the typical sound port. I know Jonathan has experimented with this look since 2013 starting with build #13. He had a really cool variation on #15.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Very nice guitar.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:00 PM

Congrats on your awesome Build! I love the Aesthetics and beautiful set of Malaysian. Jonathan did an amazing job. Let us know how you enjoy the sound but I'm pretty sure it will sound as good as it looks.

I am really glad to see your build come to fruition as I am next on Jonathan's list!!
2014 Charis SJ Florentine Cutaway(Sinker/Braz)
2015 Martin Custom OMDBH (Adi/Koa)
2017 Razo #20 Florentine Cutaway (German/Madagascar)
Old 09-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstar View Post
Kevin,

Looks like it turned out beautifully. I look forward to hearing your opinion about how it sounds and how it is to actually play it. Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks, gstar--I'll be sure to report back once I've had a chance to put it through the paces for a bit. Thanks for checking it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Very nice guitar.
Thanks, Sage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
Congrats on your awesome Build! I love the Aesthetics and beautiful set of Malaysian. Jonathan did an amazing job. Let us know how you enjoy the sound but I'm pretty sure it will sound as good as it looks.

I am really glad to see your build come to fruition as I am next on Jonathan's list!!
Thanks, Rixter--your wait is almost over! Please start a build thread once it gets going--would love to follow the progress...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop