The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2020, 08:16 AM

Default Collings D1A-Traditional or Martin D-18GE?

It seems to me that these are comparable guitars, but I cannot compare them in person.
Which would you choose and why? Any info regarding differences in sound and especially neck profile would be appreciated.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-31-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

They are NOT similar sounding in any way. A Martin does not sound like a Collings and despite what you may have heard, the Collings Traditional series don't sound like Martins either. You have to decide what kind of tonal profile you prefer. Both are awesome guitars. The Collings will be louder, have a hot midrange, will cut a little better, and have a tight quick bass response. It will also demand your very best playing to sound its best. The Martin will have a much darker voicing, deeper bass response, be more mellow sounding, and be the better strummer. As an all-arounder, the D-18GE is the better choice.

As far as the neck, they are similar.

Happy hunting.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-31-2020, 08:47 AM

I've only tried the Collings but it was a fantastic guitar, it was much warmer than the usual Collings guitars but seemed very balanced and clear. I went back to the store two weeks later determined to trade a guitar or two to get it but it was gone
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 01-31-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Brendan. Having owned both (still have the D-18GE) the Martin is a better all round guitar for me. That being said I just traded Sound Pure my Collings Custom D1 with Baked Sitka shade top. It's a great guitar but a little more forward in the midrange and would probably make a fine guitar for lead runs which I don't do. The Martin also seems to be a more forgiving guitar than the Collings from a playability standpoint. Necks are similar but the Martin is a bit more "cheeky" up the neck. Comparable yes but very different in voicing and playability at least in my opinion. No right or wrong...just different.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I agree with Brendan. Having owned both (still have the D-18GE) the Martin is a better all round guitar for me. That being said I just traded Sound Pure my Collings Custom D1 with Baked Sitka shade top. It's a great guitar but a little more forward in the midrange and would probably make a fine guitar for lead runs which I don't do. The Martin also seems to be a more forgiving guitar than the Collings from a playability standpoint. Necks are similar but the Martin is a bit more "cheeky" up the neck. Comparable yes but very different in voicing and playability at least in my opinion. No right or wrong...just different.
I agree with all of this, and what Brendan shared as well. I find the Collings excel with midrange cutting well in a mix. They are exceptional in so many ways, but after a few years with a couple "great" Collings, I found my personal True North in Martin Dreads. I love the D18GE sound, but you need to be at peace with the neck profile. I landed on D-18 standard, a D-18 Cutaway and even a Cutaway HD-28 (HDC-28E). I also have an obscenely wonderful Marin Outlaw 17 Limited Edition Mahogany/Adi top/ Adi braced dread with herringbone purfling. But that was a $7995 1-of-100 Limited Edition. (No I didn't pay quite that much, but it has a great Martin sound with the friendlier MLO/PA neck shape that fits my smaller hands better than the larger D-18GE neck.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-31-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
They are NOT similar sounding in any way.
I played a lot of spruce/mahogany dreadnoughts between 2012 and 2018 and found that while there were some noticeable differences between brands and series levels, there were plenty of similarities in tone and sound profile, even between Collings and Martin.

Yes, Collings is going to be a little brighter, a little crisper, and a little more clinical, for lack of a better word. The Traditional series guitars I’ve played are less so of each of those characteristics. The Martins are going to have a bit more natural compression, less zingy treble in comparison to Collings, and typically a little more emphasis in the low mids and bass.

But I have to shake my head at statements that make it sound like these guitars have absolutely nothing in common. These guitars sound like mahogany dreadnoughts and are each fine examples of that. It’s like different restaurants’ take on a burger or a pizza — yes, you’re going to get variety, yes, people will have a natural preference, often subjective, but at the end of the day, it’s a similar enough flavor profile and format that you know exactly what you’re eating.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:56 AM

Wow this is interesting. I did not expect them to be characterized as sounding so different. The guitar will be used pretty much for flatpicking only. I'd like it to be loud and to cut, but also have good bass.
Really leaning towards Collings if I can get on with the neck. I can't deal with too big of a profile.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-31-2020, 11:13 AM

Both will be fine pickin' guitars.
They will each have their own voice.
As much as I like Collings guitars, I'm a Martin man and would pick the D-18 myself.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

If you’re a flat picker with well developed RHand technique I’d go for the D1A T, no contest. The Martin GE is a very nice guitar as well, but the Collings will have additional attributes that can be accessed by the right player.

You’re likely going to be much happier with the level of finish, not to mention customer service, of the Collings.

It’s too bad you can’t play them side by side for an extended period. That’s clearly the best way to decide.

Best wishes for your successful choice!
Old 01-31-2020, 11:31 AM

They are extremely similar in most ways. They are different in tone as any two guitars will be. Most people dream of owning something similar to either. If you know, like and desire that very Martin tone, get the D-18. If you know that you tend to prefer a little brighter tone, get the Collings. You'll be happy with either.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
If you’re a flat picker with well developed RHand technique I’d go for the D1A T, no contest.
I am not at present but I'm working on it, and that's what I want the guitar for. I have other guitars for other things. Looking more like Collings is the more appropriate choice for my situation.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-31-2020, 04:11 PM

Default My .02 Cents

Both fine guitars. My experience with Collings is that they are precision oriented - very clear, defined, a bit brighter and someone above used the word "clinical" which makes sense to me.

I have a D18GE which I would consider substantially warmer, and having a more relaxed tone. It's a versatile guitar for flat picking, fingerpicking, strumming and pretty much anything you throw at it.

While Collings makes exceptional guitars, they just don't have the Martin qualities that I prefer which is why I no longer have any Collings these days.

It's all a matter of preference - and others feel the opposite of me. You should definitely get yourself to some shop where you can spend time with both sounds to see what suits you more. It's worth the trip even if it requires several hours of driving.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I agree with consensus above. Also, the Martin is cheaper (arguably the better VALUE).
Old 01-31-2020, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I would make sure to play the Martin 18 GEs first, my experience is about 3-4 in 10 are great. Collings D1As are far more consistent- the Traditional series hit all the marks of a great guitars. About 9 of 10 are great Just try them
Old 01-31-2020, 10:51 PM

Interesting. I've never played a GE that wasn't great. Even as a Collings owner/player I've sold Collings I didn't like and not purchased others similarly. No brand is going to produce guitars that will please every player all the time but, Martin does it as well as any other maker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion