The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Like many, I too believe there is a 'Martin sound'. I came to this realization in an odd way. When I first started to play the acoustic guitar I had no idea what I wanted in a guitar. The one thing I was fairly certain about was that I didn't want a Martin, which is odd because my last name IS Martin so you would think I'd play a Martin, right? Why didn't I want a Martin? I'm ashamed to admit that it's because I hated the shape/look of their headstocks!

Fast forward and after playing many other guitars I eventually had a Martin in my hands and the tone just felt and sounded 'right'. Even so I still played/bought/sold/traded many, many guitars here on AGF. But no matter how often I strayed from the brand I'd always end up coming back to Martin. Why? The tone. Just something about that tone. I love that dark, warm, classic sound. I think maybe it's just the sound I hear in my head from my youth when many of the classic songs from the 70's was played on Martin guitars.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:59 PM

The big question might be, how many would know it when they heard it, with a blind fold on ? Or even playing it with a blindfold on ? It doesn't appear that in this thread the description of "it" is consistent.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 10-16-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
The big question might be, how many would know it when they heard it, with a blind fold on ? Or even playing it with a blindfold on ? It doesn't appear that in this thread the description of "it" is consistent.
Pandora's box just opened

Can of worms dumped out
Old 10-18-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I would say if anyone has claim to a sound it would be Martin. I mean, you could argue that any steel string guitar has Martin DNA, especially if it's X-braced.
Yet so many 'copies' can't get that sound. In fact, I've never heard a 'copy' that nailed it and I've been playing for over 40 years.

I believe Martin absolutely has a signature sound. For my what seems to be the real defining quality is the unique chime they have on the high end. No other brand gets that as sweet as Martin gets it.

Listen to Norman Blake. His tone is, for me, a great example of the "Martin" sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEhkL2l_CQ
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

I would say yes. Sure, other guitars sometimes sound the same, and some martins dont have it. I am always impressed with John Prine and Paul Simon’s tone they get. Check out any of their solo acoustic videos, for what I would consider the Martin sound.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 AM

I believe that there is a Martin sound, already well-described in this thread.

I personally prefer a more modern sound, with an evener balance across the strings. But the Martin sound seems to have a lot of fans.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:13 PM

Of course there is a definitive Martin sound, they started this whole steel string acoustic guitar-thing; they are the gold standard. And as a sound distinct from that of other makers, Martins have a power, balance and a warbly reverb (in rosewood-backed guitars) that is seldom heard from other makers. And when you do hear it from another maker, you know that you're hearing the Martin sound.

You definitely hear the difference between Martins and the modern Martin copycats like Collings. Collings have an airy clarity that you don't get from Martins.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion