The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I doubt that I would even notice that. Play on and enjoy your beautiful guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I don't know if that's a dent or a small chisel divot. I am fussy about my guitars and that tiny divot would bother me for about 7 seconds - assuming I even found it. For a guitar that sounds beautiful I wouldn't dream of returning it for that.

But it obviously bothers you more than it would me, so you have to know yourself. If you're going to spend the next 5 years fixated on that spot every time you pick up the guitar you should probably return it.
This is pretty much what I think about it. Small and annoying (on a new guitar) but I'd probably not notice it and if it otherwise looks great and plays great (like you stated) I'd live with it. If I did notice it right away I'd likely at least try to get some compensation for it, which, if I read what you stated in bold below, you did? If yes, then you've already accepted compensation for the issue.

Enjoy your new guitar and welcome to the AGF! A new guy that is super picky about high quality guitars and can already post great quality photos - you're going to fit in here just fine. You've found your tribe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Smith View Post
Other Furch with ebony or ziricote (in Red) are straight, in my Violet it's perfect. Normally in color series there is no binding along fretboard. Vintage is extra line, and all binding woods are put separately along the neck.

It'll not cause more damage, it's pretty stable, i could not feel under finger.

Yes, it's 3k eur. I've got 5% at shop plus 3% for this damage. Not bad, however still quite expensive amd quite a bummer.

Yes, I'm more player. But, i hope i will not need to sell it any day, although you never know what life brings, and selling used with issue might be problematic.

Other aspect, it was only one piece of this model available in Europe, next is in production for Mai. Soo... exchange for unknown, maybe it'll have another issue and i would loose only money for currency exchanges (bought directly in Czech).

It's good to see opinion on other like Taylor, Collings, L'arivve etc.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:56 AM

It would bother me if it was not disclosed. Unlike those who said "just play it", I like to my own dents and scratches.

Edit: I went back and looked real close. Doesn't it look like a chisel mark? When I see something like that I worry about unseen errors.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol4t View Post
It would bother me if it was not disclosed. Unlike those who said "just play it", I like to my own dents and scratches.

Edit: I went back and looked real close. Doesn't it look like a chisel mark? When I see something like that I worry about unseen errors.
It looks like a piece chipped out when machining the neck, which should have been fixed in the factory. If it happened afterwards, then it should be sold as a 'B spec' guitar IMO.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:19 AM

that kind a looks like the result of a sloppy bit of fret filing.

I don't know how much it would bug be, a little for sure..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:13 AM

I'd either get a discount or return it but I would not accept it as is. You paid for a guitar that should not have that type of a flaw.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-15-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I just wonder what are your experience? Are all new top end guitars clear in finish?
Do you accept or return?

It's really expensive stuff, that's why the doubts. I might be too picky probably.

Let me know,
It depends.

If I were pretty sure the guitar was otherwise a keeper (criterion: am I confident that after a year it will still excite and satisfy me enough to keep me from GASing on something new) then this wouldn't bother me. I'd accept the factory's statement which is basically saying "That's within Q.C. tolerances for this factory." If not I might use that dent as my rationalization for returning it.

So even just for me it depends: on everything else about the guitar.

But maybe you are more picky than me so it depends on that too. You're allowed to care more about fit and finish others. Somebody has to be above average, right?
Old 03-15-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's 3k eur. I've got 5% at shop plus 3% for this damage. Not bad, however still quite expensive amd quite a bummer.
If you are still bummed about it after these discounts then I think this is the evidence that answers your question: you are not satisfied and should therefore return it.

If you don't need this guitar now then take your time to find something that really satisfies. There are a lot of nice things available for 3k.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I'd accept the factory's statement which is basically saying "That's within Q.C. tolerances for this factory." If not I might use that dent as my rationalization for returning it.
But you might have a difficult time getting the return accepted since the factory indicated they consider it a non-issue.

I've had that with a way worse set of issues on a new Cordoba Fusion which made the guitar unplayable to me. In the end my only recourse was to have the shop sell it off for me (and get back about half what I paid instead of paying almost that much on top of the price to have it sorted out without as much as a gesture from Cordoba or their distributor).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I think it could be drop filled with a bit of cyanoacrylate - 10 years from now it’ll be the least of your issues -
Yup that is all it needs. $30 bucks in my shop.

To the OP if you really like the sound then stick with it or get it repaired if it really bothers you. For a minor cosmetic flaw like that you return the guitar and get another one it WILL sound different and you may have a cosmetically perfect guitar but now you miss the tone of the old one.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:08 PM

Since you're posting about it, I'd say just return it.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:45 PM

If it was mine I think i would just try to smoothe out the divot with fine sand paper or wet and dry, its not realy going to affect play where it is, more a minor cosmetic issue. If everything else is good I would live with it.
good health, wayne.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

I have only bought four new guitars and all of them were bought off the shelf. All of them were perfect when I got them. If I were to order a custom guitar, I would expect it to be perfect when I received it. If there was a blemish when I received it and it bothered me, I would expect the seller to offer some kind of adjustment or take it back.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:22 PM

I think Dermot Mcllroy sums it up here , what the attitude to QC should be at the higher end of the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg92E252QI

You bought one of Furch's upper end guitars and whilst that particular flaw might not bother me (as I will have put worse on it the first time i play it out.) it clearly bothers you , and I think for the money the guitar cost you have the right to expect it to be perfect in your eyes.

Last edited by RussellR; 03-15-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Let me know,
If it does interfere with playability I would ask for a discount. However, from what I can see at the images it does not. Clearly, I might be wrong. Otherwise I would keep the guitar and enjoy. Furch are very very good. I you use the guitar regularly or even if you take the guitar out to jams. I is very hard to avoid small dents over time.

Visit my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwR...J_vozU3kGd_YUA
Old 03-15-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
But you might have a difficult time getting the return accepted since the factory indicated they consider it a non-issue.

I've had that with a way worse set of issues on a new Cordoba Fusion which made the guitar unplayable to me. In the end my only recourse was to have the shop sell it off for me (and get back about half what I paid instead of paying almost that much on top of the price to have it sorted out without as much as a gesture from Cordoba or their distributor).
Did you purchase from a reputable dealer? Normally that would be taken care of by the dealer.

Please let me know where your half-price guitars are sold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion