The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 08:27 AM

Default Iris DF - Sitka vs. Adirondack?

Hi - I'm seriously considering getting an Iris DF (as an alternative to a Gibson J45 Standard) with either a sitka or Adirondack top. This would be primarily used for playing/singing, both fingerstyle and strumming/flatpicking (no bluegrass).

I'd like to find out if anyone's had the chance to A/B these, and if so, what your opinions were comparing the same guitar with these 2 different tops, given what I'm intending to use it for. I've had several bluegrass-type dreads with Adi tops, and of course, several with sitka, and no experience with Iris.

And yeah, if you think I'm making a mistake if I just don't go with a Gibson J45 Standard (or Adi variant) just let me know.

Thanks!

PS: There may also be a sitka Iris DF Smeck in the equation as well. They're definitely of interest to me.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi Doug. No experience with a Sitka topped DF. I have played exactly 1 Adi topped DF -- a totally different sound than a J-45. Much louder, more articulate, and a lot more in your face compared with the smooth, laid back, lower volume sound of a Gibson. The Iris is also a bigger body... about 1/4" deeper neck to tail.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 04-22-2024, 10:02 AM

I have played a sitka Df, and I own a J45. Like brencat said above, the DF is louder and really not much like a J45. If playing and singing is your main goal, the 45 is it.

My Iris JB, which is an OM size is louder and more mid forward than my J45.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Hi Doug. No experience with a Sitka topped DF. I have played exactly 1 Adi topped DF -- a totally different sound than a J-45. Much louder, more articulate, and a lot more in your face compared with the smooth, laid back, lower volume sound of a Gibson. The Iris is also a bigger body... about 1/4" deeper neck to tail.
My experience is similar. I have a DF that Iris built using a red spruce top that the original owner supplied—from TJ Thompson’s stash of 30-year old red spruce. The only guitar I own that has as much if not more headroom is a D-18 Authentic 1937. I recently picked up a J-45, and the DF is probably closer to the Martin in tone, volume, etc. than the Gibson.

While I could never play like this, my DF sounds like this:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion