The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 PM

Default How do the discontinued Breedlove revivals stack up to other small shops?

Interested in opinions on these older Breedlove revivals. Are the deluxe models up there with huss and dalton, bourgeois, Santa Cruz etc? Or do they compare more favorably to martins standard line? Never had a chance to play one thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 PM

I believe the initial Breedlove “revival” lineup was driven by Jayson Bowerman, who is now a successful solo luthier. As such, I expect they’d be comparable to fine guitars from both Martin and the smaller shops. I’ve heard lots of good things about them.

It would seem that at some point they expanded the “revival” nomenclature to include some of their lower-tier models, which — as tends to be the case with Breedlove’s product lineup — was mostly confusing and eventually led to the series being discontinued altogether in favor of some completely new terminology.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 PM

Square headstock/old style B is an automatic yes. I've had two, one of which I still occasionally mutter dark things toward the mirror over having sold. With a little bit of age and perspective, either would've been an obvious lifetime instrument. Uniquely and beautifully voiced, a West Coast update on the Martin character.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

I was fortunate to own one briefly, a presentation series 000 12 fret sitka over cocobolo with a slotted headstock that was a NAMM show guitar. It was really a wonderful guitar, very well made with great tone. I loved the shape and style of their slotted headstock for this series. It's a shame they never caught on. I'd put it on par in quality of build and tone with any of the major players offerings in similar styles and tonewoods.

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
Interested in opinions on these older Breedlove revivals. Are the deluxe models up there with huss and dalton, bourgeois, Santa Cruz etc? Or do they compare more favorably to martins standard line? Never had a chance to play one thanks!
The original Revival series, from around 2007/8 to 2010...with the single B logo were designed by Preston Thompson...RIP...of Preston Thompson Guitars, and spearheaded at Breedlove by Kim Breedlove and Jayson Bowerman. Those older models a great guitars, up their in quality of woods and workmanship with the best of them.

Tonally, they were/are very very good, but, not quite the true vintage 30's/40's Martin tone. If you are really after that, then there are a few solo luthiers who can get you as close to that original tone as you can get. A few that come to mind are Steve Kovacik, John Arnold, Jim Merrill, Frankie Montuoro, and Preston Thompson Guitars, and Pre War Guitar Co.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the insight!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion