The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Mind games I play on myself

For whatever reason I have a yearning to own a Martin 000-18, for no other reason except for the fact that I saw it on a rack in GC and I also played it. (and I liked it a lot). But....

In order to satisfy SWMBO*** (my wife) I would have to unload a couple/few guitars. In my mind the following would go on the chopping block (GC trade in value):

Avalon Ard Ri L-320C
McIlroy A20
Martin D-16GT

Then my common sense kicks in and I realize that my Avalon alone is more than equal to the Martin (at new pricing).

Plus I really like my 2 Irish made guitars and my D-16GT gives me the Martin tone when I want it.

Ok. I feel better now. Anyone else fighting their inner demons lately?

*** She Who Must Be Obeyed

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 03-19-2024, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Thinking just gets in the way of things. I try to keep it to a minimum.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-19-2024, 12:27 PM

Overthinking enablers is what the AGF does best. I appreciate you sharing your experience Barry. I think we can all help each other with our real and imaginary demons.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-19-2024, 12:28 PM

I was at GC Sunday and traded in two guitars for a Cordoba C10 crossover.

They didn’t have one in stock so it had to be ordered. I could not find that model driving in any direction for 3 hours! Thankful for the great return policy if necessary!

GC gave me more than I anticipated and I walked away with cash in hand!

I have never owned a nylon guitar and I don’t play classical. I just needed a nylon guitar. I’m sure you guys and girls understand!

Hopefully I’m good for a spell!
Old 03-19-2024, 12:41 PM

We all have two brains... the rational and the irrational. They are always talking to each other. They also need each other. Most of my guitars were purchased from a serious compromise of one or the other.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 03-19-2024, 01:15 PM

Oh Yeah. I'm sitting here with four classical guitars hanging on the wall. I keep thinking I need to buy a Cordoba stage guitar because none of the aforementioned guitars has electronics. It would be way better to plug in at open mike night than to sit in front of a microphone. Right?
Old 03-19-2024, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I just read a shocking statistic, that for the first time consumer debt has equaled mortgage debt. We don't need more stuff. Don't use plastic. The game is rigged. I hope I'm preaching to the choir.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-19-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I just read a shocking statistic, that for the first time consumer debt has equaled mortgage debt. We don't need more stuff. Don't use plastic. The game is rigged. I hope I'm preaching to the choir.
That may be true but credit card debt is generally unsecured while a mortgage is attached to your home. You can run up all those cards and not pay your mortgage then file for bankruptcy and keep the house on a payment plan while getting rid of the other debts. Rigged yes but there are workarounds too if you're daring enough. Please note this is not legal advice, just a commentary on debt levels.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretboard Phil View Post
Oh Yeah. I'm sitting here with four classical guitars hanging on the wall. I keep thinking I need to buy a Cordoba stage guitar because none of the aforementioned guitars has electronics. It would be way better to plug in at open mike night than to sit in front of a microphone. Right?
Yes, I forgot to mention the Cordoba Stage Traditional that I am gassing for. It would be good to have a silent guitar for late night practicing and direct recording as well

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 03-19-2024, 01:35 PM

Here's how my process of 'guitar turnovership' works:

1.) Buy a new guitar.
2.) Fall in love with it, can't put it down, ignoring all others.
3.) Start to become annoyed with ignored guitars that aren't getting played.
4.) Start to think that I should sell guitar(s) not getting played.
5.) Sell guitar(s) that are not getting played.
1.) Buy a new guitar... (rinse and repeat).

I have bought/sold/traded nearly 50 guitars since joining AGF about a decade ago. I can't tell you how many times that I've had 'The Perfect Stable' of guitars. I've even posted exactly that several times with details of why the current three are all I'll ever want or need which is usually almost immediately followed by a complete turnover of said perfect stable! I keep waiting for it to stop.

I thought when I retired two years ago it surely would since I would no longer have that disposable income. I'm currently head over heels in love with latest, bought as a backup/spare but it has become my go-to guitar for everything and it's all I play. I'm beginning to look askance at the other two hanging on the wall all forlorn and sad. I'm fighting the urge to sell them off for something new.

Stay tuned...
Old 03-19-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Overthinking enablers is what the AGF does best. I appreciate you sharing your experience Barry. I think we can all help each other with our real and imaginary demons.
Where's the "Like" button?

Yes, Barry. I fight it frequently.

I'll share: just this past Friday I nearly pulled $4K from my account for a guitar I had been playing for all of 20 minutes. That's not enough time to put it through its paces, and it's also not wise to buy without A/Bing the guitar with one from my collection at home. In a moment of clarity, I put it down and backed away. It was a very nice sounding guitar, but it didn't do a whole lot more than any guitar I already have at home. An important point I try to focus on.

Posts like this will help, I think, because it's good to discuss things openly.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretboard Phil View Post

I've added decent SBT's to a multitude of acoustic instruments from fiddles to ukulele to all mandolin family instruments to banjos, upright basses and a lot of guitars. It can be done for well under 1/10 the cost of a new guitar.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-19-2024, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Part of the problem is, if you keep hanging around the barbers you're eventually going to get a haircut, whether you need one or not.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 03-19-2024, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Not really satisfied anymore with the tone I'm getting gigging with my Godin A6 Ultra. Thought I might give the Martin SC-13 a look. Wow! Some of them are listed for about 2 grand! Maybe I'll have a top notch pickup system installed in my HD-35. I just saved myself a ton of money!
Old 03-19-2024, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention the Cordoba Stage Traditional that I am gassing for. It would be good to have a silent guitar for late night practicing and direct recording as well
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but, as the happy owner of a Cordoba Stage (non-trad version), I should let you know that it’s anything but silent when not plugged in.

Of course, that may be good news if it helps to relieve GAS.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion