The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2022, 08:09 AM

Default Small, Good Mixer

I posted here earlier, deliberating about the different options for downsizing my PA so I can do a small three piece band, solo or duo. Still trying to decide but in short, I'd like to get a column array and then possible two powered speakers, or just the array and one powered speaker to expand out. I already have the MGX 12, but I think it is overkill. Looking for a four channel very, very straightforward but good mixer with phantom power.

Do I simply return the MGX 12 and replace with the MGX 10 or is there a better brand out there in compact passive mixers? If I only ever gig (even with the full band) with the column array and maybe a single powered speaker, do I consider the expanders like the Fishman SA 330 expander, or do I simply get the separate mixer.

Thanks,

Tars
Old 04-02-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I will suffer slings and arrows for this recommendation, but we have used the Behringer Xenyx 1202fx for years. Our sources are three vocal mics and one guitar, which go into the XLR channels and our recorded break music is fed into one of the aux 1/4'" channels. We use it to feed our two Bose L1Cs. No issues.

It is small, light and bulletproof as far as we can see. It does have phantom power which is silent, something I found is not always the case with some other brands.

Good luck in your search.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:34 AM

I like my Mackie PROFX6v3 But it has gone up in price $40 since Jan.
I just paid $169 a month ago and now it's $189
But overall I like it.. the EQ is very responsive ...Built in FX
small foot print
Old 04-02-2022, 10:37 AM

I'm a fan of the smaller Allen & Heath Zed mixers, and currently have a small Soundcraft Notepad 12. Just depends on how many preamp channels you really need, if you want onboard effects, if you want it to also be a USB interface, and how you're going to do your monitoring. The last factor can be tricky if you want/need a different monitor mix than your main mix. Most small mixers have limitations there, particularly if they have onboard effects (eg the aux bus is the fx bus so you get one or the other). But if you are monitoring via the mains or daisy chain a wedge off the mains, almost any small mixer should work.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I will suffer slings and arrows for this recommendation, but we have used the Behringer Xenyx 1202fx for years. Our sources are three vocal mics and one guitar, which go into the XLR channels and our recorded break music is fed into one of the aux 1/4'" channels. We use it to feed our two Bose L1Cs. No issues.

It is small, light and bulletproof as far as we can see. It does have phantom power which is silent, something I found is not always the case with some other brands.

Good luck in your search.
No slings and arrows here. Back when I used a mixer the Behringer Xenyx 1202fx was a terrific little mixer and for the price simply fantastic.

But since the OP is looking for a line array (stick) system, I'd just go with the Evlove 30M which has a very nice built in mixer. Then just add any additional speaker(s) for monitor or more spread as needed, which is pretty much what I (and many others) stated in his last post!
Old 04-02-2022, 02:49 PM

Nothing wrong with suggestions here but also be aware of the Behringer Flow 8. I don't need one but am considering buying one anyway.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/live-pa/...dio-app-contro
Old 04-02-2022, 02:59 PM

Yep, waiting to see the FLOW in person myself….
Old 04-02-2022, 02:59 PM

4 channel. Get a Bose T4.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 04-02-2022, 05:09 PM

Default Mixer

Thanks everyone- some good recommendations here.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I will suffer slings and arrows for this recommendation, but we have used the Behringer Xenyx 1202fx for years.
My local hangout picked up a couple Evolve 50s and as I was describing their new setup to a buddy, I kind of dismissively said "but you know, with a Behringer mixer." My longtime musician friend reacted with mock insult, since his band had happily used them.

They're good and really good for the money, and I expect most patrons wouldn't notice the difference between a Behringer and my $699 T4S Tonematch.

I might not myself, especially in a brewery, winery etc. gig.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:53 AM

Most people your playing for won't know the difference..Just the gear heads
But you might
When I switch from a Pyle ??43BT to the Mackie PROFX6v3 I noticed...it seemed clearer (16bit to 24bit) probably better preamps also
and the tone controls actually seemed to do something
I've had a lot of Behringer stuff and I still have their handheld condenser SB78A
I would buy their stuff again and that Flow 8 looks interesting
Old 04-03-2022, 09:05 AM

If I was looking for a easy to use live sound mixer with phantom power, easy controls, built in effects, and multiple mixes available for main and monitor output, programmable scenes for mixer settings, and battery operation when desired I'd consider a Zoom Livetrak L8.

Think of it as a "Friends with benefits" since it's a very capable digital recorder, too.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:29 AM

I'd just stick with the MG12 you have - it's an in incredible, extremely quiet mixer with great built-in effects and you can always use fewer inputs but you can't make a 6ch. board take more... it's not all that large. getting a smaller one just seems like the Dept. of Redundancy Dept. It's your money.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Great idea - or, look for a used T1 - you might find one at a great price -
Old 04-03-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Nice piece of equipment.
Too rich for my blood.
I’ll stick with my Yamaha MGX 10

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification