The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2022, 05:54 PM

A new issue here.
I ran across some info in the EON MK2 user manual that I finally found on-line that was somewhat concerning. The manual says

"Stage setup best practices are always recommended for best results to avoid feedback, in combination with the AFS processing system. Microphones have less chance of contributing feedback if they follow the following position standards on stage:
Microphones should be behind the front plane of the speakers.
Microphones should be least two meters to the left or right of the speakers.

I've never had to use any of my other solist systems (Bose, Fishman) as they're describing here (mic behind speaker plane). They may just be covering their butts and talking about "general best-practices" for microphone use, but I also want to know if they actually mean that this unit shouldn't be used by soloists like me with the unit clearly behind them, and yes, over to either side by a few feet. I spend $1,200 on a piece of critical gear and I sure want to know it's going to work as expected.

So I'd love to hear from anyone who's had some degree of experience using this system with it positioned behind and to the side of them (5-6 feet or so behind me and 2-4 feet to the side is what I've typically been able to do with other systems).

Much appreciated; thanks.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-14-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
You nailed it. THANK YOU! I did see that BT had to be disabled but I was not going into the correct channel, and certainly not using the correct mini-plug input. It still took me a little wrangling with the controls on the JBL app to finally get the Pass-Thru (why can’t they call it “line out” or “aux out” like the rest of the planet?) to work, but it finally did.
Thanks again very much for your time and insight!
You're welcome.

As far as the feedback I would not be "that" scared.

The array seems to be the same kind as Bose (only mid speakers) and the horizontal dispersion is advertised to 140°. So it will work close enough to the Bose.

The Bose resistance to feedback is due to horizontal spread, long depth penetration, flat response over a limited bandwidth. (the infamous "no high, no low, must be B.se"

I've seen reviews saying the Mk2 sounds like a "Bose style" speaker and not as a traditional speaker. So it will have those qualities.

JBL is probably "protecting" themselves from DJs who might push the system too far. The feedback rejection might not be as good as Bose without the anti feedback but with it, it should be close enough for buskers and singer/songwriters applications.

Also not that with 8x2", it is not a "real line array" (neither was the L1 compact), in this case the height of the speakers are part of the trick: Check JonFields45 setup.

the speaker is high enough to avoid feedback.

Finally, with JBL & Bose Hifi sound you should not need to push the speaker very loud, because the speaker throw wide and far enough.

If you need to push the speaker to "feel the punch, physical low end & fast transient"... then neither the Bose or JBL will do.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 02-14-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
As far as the feedback I would not be "that" scared. The array seems to be the same kind as Bose (only mid speakers) and the horizontal dispersion is advertised to 140°. So it will work close enough to the Bose. I've seen reviews saying the Mk2 sounds like a "Bose style" speaker and not as a traditional speaker. So it will have those qualities. JBL is probably "protecting" themselves from DJs who might push the system too far. The feedback rejection might not be as good as Bose without the anti feedback but with it, it should be close enough for buskers and singer/songwriters applications. Finally, with JBL & Bose Hifi sound you should not need to push the speaker very loud, because the speaker throw wide and far enough.
Thanks again, Cuki -- and yes I agree with your summary -- especially the "protecting themselves" part! As I said, when you spend $1,200 on a system, you want to know it's going to work for you. I'm also maybe juuuuuust a bit intimidated by all the technology in these things -- automatic frequency suppression, hi/low-pass filters, XYZ settings, ABC settings, etc. etc. etc...
It's probably a great system and it'll probably work out great. I keep wondering if I should have gone with the Bose Pro 8 -- very comparable in many ways and both have some advantages over the other, but I already went through that process and went with the JBL (despite having other Bose products and loving 'em!).

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-16-2023, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I purchased this system in June. I have owned several different PA and stick systems, and I will wait to see how repairs go before I make a final judgment. But my initial impression is not favorable. I have probably less than 10 hours on this thing and have gigged it once. It failed right near the very end of my gig. Channel one is completely dead, and the other channels are spotty. I think the auto preamps failed. It sounded great, and because I am very mobile in lifestyle now I like that it is battery powered. But the Pro Connect app is a cluster Eff. And it failed after only a few hours. If I was not outside of my return window, it would go back. Upside is the warranty is solid and they are fixing it. I am hopeful for better results when I get it back. Jury still out.

Strangely, when I called JBL/Harmon service support, they initially told me I had to ship it at my expense to Tijuana. Really! When there is a local JBL certified repair shop right in my home town. That in and of itself is just weird.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 10-16-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Update from the authorized JBL repair center:

"We found that your speaker powers up normally and has audio output from all inputs. After it was running for a short while, the output became distorted from all inputs. The distortion appears to be from overloaded signal level in the preamp section. We will need to replace the amp assembly and Bluetooth antenna to continue. We will put in an order for the replacement parts and reach out again once we have an update for you."

To JBL's credit, they are standing behind it all under a solid and long warranty. As I suspected, preamp failure. I don't play at loud volumes. It was a small brew pub gig -- maybe 40 people -- when it failed. So that concerns me. But I will wait and see how it performs when I get it back before making a final judgment. Maybe mine is an anomaly. Regardless, that app is a clusterF. Waiting until that auto preamp "kicks in" seems absurd to me and is an enormous pain. The whole gain structure seems odd. I know Aaron reviewed this, but my perception is just different. I find the whole approach a pain and would rather set my own gain structures. Maybe I am old.

Upside: sounds great when working. Maybe I will love it when the bugs are worked out.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Update: Four weeks in, and my local JBL repair center is still awaiting parts from JBL. Frustrating, as I don't have a backup PA. Hopeful it will be worth it and I will have a reliable and great sounding system when I finally get it back.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 11-14-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

UPDATE #2. Going into week 6 since I dropped this at my local authorized JBL repair facility. Correspondence with them:

" Nov 17, 2023 wrote:

Brent,

My apologies, but we still haven’t received the part or an updated ETA from JBL. I’ve reached out again to our purchasing team and asked them to get us an ETA. I don’t think there is anyone that you’d be able to contact that we aren’t already contacting, so I think it’s best to wait until we get a reply. We will keep you updated as soon as we know.

Best regards"

Not their fault and they are a great bunch at a really good shop. They are of course beholden to JBL for parts. They ultimately gave me their customer service number for JBL. I called it and explained the situation to the initial rep (she was very kind and trying hard to be helpful). She put me on hold to connect me with the service folks responsible for getting parts out. After some time on hold, she punted and came back on line and relayed she was unable to reach anyone there and just gave me that number directly and advised I keep trying. So it appears even JBL can't get JBL to get parts out!

I hate to cast aspersions based on my one experience. I am just frustrated as this is my only rig, which means renting for any gigs. It would be nice if they could minimally reply with an ETA. The rep wondered aloud if it was due to holidays, upon which I replied "only if it is Halloween." Maybe I am expecting too much and it takes months to get a warranty repair. But it would minimally be nice if JBL could give an ETA on parts. This unit had less than 10 hours of rehearsal time and made it (almost) through a single gig. One! Singer/songwriter stuff at modest volumes. It sounds great and is very convenient when working. But in retrospect I would would have gone with the EV, Bose, or Baggs Synapse that were also on my radar.

Related. When I learned it was past the return window at AMS when it first broke down, the good folks there recommended I call JBL directly for service. I did. JBL informed me that I would have to ship it to Mexico at my expense for repair when there is an authorized service dept minutes from my home. Really.

Rant over. Somehow I feel better.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 11-30-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Another update. Minimally JBL replied with an ETA estimate for parts for warranty repair.....sort of. Maybe my expectations are off base. But I would expect a warranty repair of a near new unit would be days or at least weeks rather than months.

This is a $1200 unit. It has less than 10 hours of total time on it, which includes ONE gig of moderate volume (solo singer/songwriter at small brew pub). And it didn't even make it through that gig. I get it that problems with anything electronic can arise. I get it! Sometimes things just break down. Okay. But what is NOT acceptable is JBL's customer service -- or lack thereof. Even JBL customer service reps couldn't get JBL to respond to inquiries about warranty parts, via email nor phone. JBL can't even get support from JBL!

I hate to cast aspersions based on my one experience. Others may love this. It did sound great when working and was super convenient. PLUS...battery power! But if my experience with JBL customer service and warranty support is an example, I would strongly consider avoiding them.

--------------
"On Nov 30, 2023 at 9:00 AM, wrote:

Brent,

We’ve gotten word from the manufacturer about the replacement part’s ETA. They are telling us that the earliest it would be the week of 12/18 – 12/22. This is only an estimate and is subject to change, but we’re hopeful that it will show up when they say it will. We will be sure to notify you when it arrives.

Best regards,"

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 11-30-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:46 AM

Just want to say that thanks to you: I did not buy one.

Got an old L1 compact, used. Very cheap and working...

Needed a bit of TLC, nothing a contact cleaner, a screw driver and some vinegar could not solve.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-01-2023, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Hi Cuki. I will probably go the Bose route myself. Or EV. Or maybe even Baggs Synapse. For what it's worth, it may be that I just got a lemon. The folks at AMS, where I purchased it, are adamant that these are sound and they have few warranty returns. And that's fair enough. My experience is but one. But to me it's the customer service, which has been BEYOND terrible, that will have me avoid JBL moving forward. I would even accept "we apologize for the inconvenience. Parts are on backorder and we expect it to be 8 weeks." That would suck. But I understand that. Yet I couldn't even get that. No response on a warranty issue of any kind. Crickets for weeks that has become months. The authorized service center couldn't get a courtesy response for an ETA. And as I indicated, even the JBL reps I communicated with via both phone and email (they were kind and making every effort to be helpful) couldn't get the service/warranty folks to respond. Even JBL couldn't get a courtesy response from JBL.

I do want to take my hat off to AMS. They are bending over backwards to help. And the unit sounded very good when it worked and is super convenient for set up, with battery power to boot. But....that service.....

I think I have officially become the "get off my lawn" guy. lol

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 12-01-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I had the JBL Compact for a short while and didn't like it all that much. Had a really hard time getting a decent guitar sound out of it. Their handling of your repair is unsatisfactory for sure. I'd be livid, as I'm sure are you. They should have sent you a brand new unit and a return order with paid shipping for their dead one. I had an EAE StompMix X6 'go bad' a few months into owning it. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a new one and return label for the broken one. THAT'S how you run a business.

I hope you are leaving negative reviews everywhere you can to help keep others from making the same mistake. While 'bad' electrical is sometimes a fact of life, even with brand new gear, making a brand new user wait weeks or months to get a fix is just bad business. Thanks for posting your honest experiences and sorry that you have to go through this. These are the types of posts that are very useful for those of us here on AGF!
Old 12-01-2023, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. In the grander scope of things, this inconvenience is indeed frustrating, yet pretty small. I just need my rig back! Or another one. As I don't have back up. And the complete silence from JBL on availability or ETA for parts has been beyond frustrating. Crickets! A simple courtesy response with an ETA, even if that ETA was unacceptable, would have been welcomed and nice.

I thought the EON ONE Mk2 sounded pretty good (I have had a few of the array systems, and this is competitive). And I am living the "van life" part time, so the battery power is a huge draw for me. I found the app to be somewhat clunky, and the way they have gain levels set up for some automatic thing -- for me -- terrible. I would much rather set my own gain levels. I know Aaron liked this in his own review. Me? Not so much.

A positive has been AMS. In the end, they are going well above and beyond and sending me a replacement unit. I just learned that this morning. I suspect they can't get a response from JBL either. So they are just making it right. And I think that is above and beyond (this is on JBL, not AMS). I will shop there again.
(Update: AMS can't get a response from JBL either! But they said they would make something happen if they don't hear by Monday.

"Hi Brent,
I’m still waiting on an answer from JBL. Let’s touch base Monday. If we haven’t heard anything by then, I’ll make something happen.
Thanks, " Surprise!!!

Again....I normally don't vent like this. There are grander things to be upset about. Now get off my lawn!! ; )

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 12-02-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Final update and happy ending. AMS (who also could not get a timely response from JBL) stepped up and worked out a return. I am going to replace it with an Evolve 30.

Last of the "get off my lawn" old man rants. I just wanted/needed a unit that worked!
Old 12-08-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post
Final update and happy ending. AMS (who also could not get a timely response from JBL) stepped up and worked out a return. I am going to replace it with an Evolve 30.

Last of the "get off my lawn" old man rants. I just wanted/needed a unit that worked!
This is wild to me!!! I think you’ll like the evolve. The battery aspect I thought I would use but I literally almost never do. I have a battery powered speaker (Everse 8) and find it’s very handy for super small gigs. I’ve never had a time I needed battery power and full powered PA.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:17 PM

I have a twelve-inch JBL Eon something-or-other.

Got it a few months ago. Sounds good, doesn't take too much closet space. The controls are squirrelly. You need a cell phone for some of the controls, which seems idiotic to me, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Luckily, they're controls I don't care about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification