The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2024, 07:02 PM

Default Batteries

Just curious about alkaline batteries you all use in your instruments and/or wireless mics...I know some brands specifically state in their user manuals to use only brand D___ or E___. Just wondering if anyone else (like me) uses either Amazon or Harbor Freight alkaline batteries in their guitars and/or wireless mics. I've never had an issue with fitment or leaking. I have had battery box issues likely due to hydration.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:22 PM

I don’t use alkaline batteries at all for musical purposes. I use Li-Ion rechargeables, in both 9V and 1.5V AA formats. For onboard preamps, and also for pedals when needed. Never had any issues. I mostly buy no-name generic brands on Amazon, they work fine.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:45 PM

For acoustic guitars and preamps, I don't know why brand name would matter. Is there something I don't know?

Because battery choice affects the sound of overdrive pedals, some electric players are fussy about battery composition, and some prefer partly drained batteries because their lower voltage adds sag (slow response) to the effect — the same reason lots of electric players like tube rectifiers or sag simulators in their amps.

You can even buy dying-battery simulators like this one.

Some electric players like carbon zinc batteries like these for the same reason. They say they can tell what kind of battery is in the pedal just by listening.

But for acoustic guitar purposes, a battery is a battery.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:30 PM

It used to be equipment manufacturers specified "brand name" batteries because the generic ones would leak acid and ruin battery connections (or worse).

I have had a few of those batteries that come with new import electronics leak, so I quit using them and spend the money on less "generic" brands. Since I started doing that I haven't had any damaged equipment in a LONG time, but maybe saving a couple of dollars is worth the risk for some folks.

Maybe those import generics are better than they used to be, but it's not worth the risk to me.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I usually just buy Rayovac since they are the 'budget' brand of Energizer or Duracell. 9v batteries tend to last a LONG time in my active pickup guitars so no need to buy bulk cheapies from Amazon or other places. I check battery levels during string changes and I'm always amazed how long they last. I don't use any pedals that require batteries.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't use any Harbor Freight batteries in anything I valued, including musical equipment. Those batteries are sourced from suppliers based on cost . . . as in cheap . . . so how could they be the same quality as Duracell or Energizer?

Those cheap batteries are a false economy. All it takes is one leaking battery that damages one piece of equipment, and then how much money did you really save by buying cheap batteries?

We all spend a lot of money on our guitars and equipment. Why cheap out on the batteries you need to use that expensive equipment? Back when I rode motorcycles, I knew guys that would be a $25,000 bike, and add $5,000 of chrome and worthless doodads to it, and then drive all over town looking for the cheapest oil to put in it. It made no sense to me . . . just like buying cheap batteries.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Just curious about alkaline batteries you all use in your instruments and/or wireless mics...I know some brands specifically state in their user manuals to use only brand D___ or E___. Just wondering if anyone else (like me) uses either Amazon or Harbor Freight alkaline batteries in their guitars and/or wireless mics. I've never had an issue with fitment or leaking. I have had battery box issues likely due to hydration.
Hi YG
I use Alkaline batteries and buy them generically…not by specific brand. Have been using them this way for over 40 years now.

I've had better lasting power with the Alkalines than with rechargeable in size AAA and AA and 9V.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification