The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Hey, you went, you tried.
Can't say that I've had the same experience, but it reminds me of some jams and pickers circles where either I did not know the songs or we were on a different course, or vice versa...sometimes it turns out ok. Otherwise, you might as well grab a drink and become an audience member. As you said, some of the singer/songwriters played a song or two and left. Nothing wrong with that either...you just don't know if you don't try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker1 View Post
Today I played an open MIC at a venue that pay for a band to play behind you .
OK I am no star at all but they didn’t know my songs or any of the different twists and turns as a solo player you use. I used to play in a band and our bass player always had a saying we don’t play with anyone , we have never played with before . He always said two things happen , neither are good . Either you will sound bad or they will sound bad . The band today threw me off . I asked the lady running it and likes to sing but doesn’t play an instrument . She said we really want the artists to play with the band because we pay for them …Some of the hardcore songwriters just played a song or two and left. I won’t go back .
Old 02-26-2024, 10:42 AM

There's no overcoming a bad band for a bad host. But if it's a good band and a well-run open mic, it can work well. Here are some tips for that best-case situation:

K.I.S.S.:

Play simple songs. A good backup band can't read your mind, but it can follow standard chord changes and knows songs that are popular with the venue's crowd. If it's an acoustic open mic, they'll know "Angel from Margaritawheel." It it's electric, they'll know "Smoke on the Stairway to Freebird."

Help the band:

If you're playing original or less-known covers, let them see your chord changes, either by standing where the bassist, guitarist, and audience can all see you or by turning to them with each change, at least on the first verse.

If you think it's needed, give the band a quick briefing on what you'll be doing before launching into it. If they're any good, they'll catch on fast.

Play for the audience:

Remember that the audience just wants to be entertained. It's more important to make it fun for them than to wow them with brilliance.

A friend once compared seeing Stevie Ray Vaugh live with seeing the Fabulous Thunderbirds live. He said that at Stevie's show, people sat oohing an ahhing and clapping. At the T-Bird show, they jumped out of their seats and danced.

No need to tell you which show he enjoyed more!

Embrace reality:

If the host is a dope or the band is just there to show off, no need to frustrate yourself. Your don't-go-back instinct is a good guide. That doesn't mean backup bands are bad. It just means that particular open mic is.

It's telling that the MC wouldn't let you play solo. That's bad MCing. The band will be paid whether they back you up or not. So it shouldn't matter to the MC if they sit one out.

My first stage experience was with a terrific backup trio that knew its job was to support the players. They really worked with me to make my highly sketchy stuff sound good. It was a lucky introduction to playing for an audience. So I'm here to testify that it happens in nature.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-26-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:10 PM

It is all good , one of the other solo entertainers called this morning joking about it . And of course ( Why did I play Take me Lake Charles ) He was saying the bass player looked like I have no clue . Of course my friend plays originals he was joking that not everybody is going to play LeGrange or Margaritaville . I have been into this years ago . My bad . As my friend said there is another open mic on Sundays in Conroe Texas.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

We avoid open mics with 'backing bands' like the plague they are. Same with 'open jams'. Just not our thing. The few that we've gone to are backed invariably by people that can't play well at all. It ends up being a nightmarish cacophony of (unintentional) polyrhythmic sound that destroys any attempt at 'songs' regardless of how simple and well-known they are. Hard pass.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

It is hit or miss playing with anyone for the first time. I did an iconic song at a much slower tempo. I like changing songs radically. Probably the best drummer I've ever played with decided to play it the regular tempo after a bar or too. Said you have to. It sucked because my accompaniment was geared to the slow tempo. Every other time I played with him was fine.

There is another fellow who is very multi instrumentalist whose listening ability is so acute, he does not even want to know the key. Once in a while I'd say watch out for the time changes. The before mentioned drummer, well, I just said, I'll play an intro with the tricky timing and we'll go from there. Worked pretty darned good.

Other times you find out someone you are playing with has quirky timing. World great solo, but not with others, unless they are playing with a master listener, a trait you don't have unless you have a lot of band experience. Playing with a seasoned bar band is great if you are singing bar band songs. Everyone should know a few of those or a 12 bar blues or two for such occasions.

And if you are playing for anyone, you should know to throw your well rehearsed open mic tunes out the window if your venue is having 25 people in for a beer and pizza party. You need to whip out Six Days on the Road, or a Steve Miller classic. or Honky Tonk Woman. This is when you contemplate if you really want to play restaurants and bars.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-26-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
And if you are playing for anyone, you should know to throw your well rehearsed open mic tunes out the window if your venue is having 25 people in for a beer and pizza party. You need to whip out Six Days on the Road, or a Steve Miller classic. or Honky Tonk Woman. This is when you contemplate if you really want to play restaurants and bars.
You missed, Stuck in the Middle That gets them bouncing over here.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-26-2024, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
You missed, Stuck in the Middle That gets them bouncing over here.
Malcolm - we have a guy who comes to our local open mic' who pulls out "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves when the bar gets a little lively.......because he wrote it!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Malcolm - we have a guy who comes to our local open mic' who pulls out "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves when the bar gets a little lively.......because he wrote it!!!!!
Well, I think that will take a bit of beating ... unless Bruce Springsteen turns up at someone's open mic

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-26-2024, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I play in a backup band at an open mic. It is not a standing band as such but a showzup band - who ever shows up from a core group of players. But all of us are skilled players with excellent ears. We can generally play anything you throw at us

- HOWEVER -

The caveat is the open mic participants can exclude the band or individual members at their pleasure. None of us mind. We go get coffee in the back of the room.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I can relate to the OP's feelings of alienation and dissatisfaction. House bands often maintain a master-list of songs from which a prospective performer can pick and choose. People have fun doing that, but it feels more like live karaoke to me than what I regard as an open mic (YMMV).

A huge disconnect (for me) occurs when original material is stirred into the mix - or lesser-known B-sides. Sure, some musicians/groups have excellent instincts and can noodle their way through just about anything if there’s some detectable pattern or theme - or not. Unless I were trotting out a simple “original” version of 12-bar blues or a three-chord mantra, I would certainly not expect a band of strangers to follow along and do the right things with my music.

NoPicks goes on to accurately describe another annoying social hierarchy that I've experienced in various public venues.
- Cliques
- Gatekeepers
- Weekly repetitions of tired old standards
- Pecking order - known favorite players/walk-ons hustled into an evening's sweet spot (regardless of position, if any, on the signup list)

The range of feelings one might elicit from performing music can range from pleasant excitement to nerve-wracking anxiety. Having experienced both a hundred times, I feel fortunate to live in an area where I can hit three different (relaxed/casual/supportive) open mics every week without venturing into the busier Portland metro area where there are more. That’s good because there are 2-3 other joints I avoid like the plague for all the negative reasons mentioned above.

Just thinking out loud, maybe place a Craigslist ad under Community/Musicians in search of actual open mics where singles, duos and even trios can perform a few songs without the delightful enhancement (or frustrating burden) of a mandatory house band. Further, maybe keep a few blank “business cards” in your wallet to jot down your contact info if a conversation (anywhere) sounds like there might be a musical opportunity in the offing.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-27-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

There are as many pitfalls as there are people. One night a really good performer came in and signed up. He had been gone for years. He said there were a group of guys, one of witch got there early and signed up three or four slots. Then when they played they left. I got into the tail end of that, and the host had to lay down the law. These were a group of regulars. Then there was the group who signed up, left to party, then came back to play. They had a bottle in the parking lot and never bought so much as a beer. Neither of the scenarios fits the spirit of an open mic. Rules can get out of hand, where songs are restricted to sanitize all rough around the edges human experience. There are original songs only open mics too. You have to pick which imperfect scenario fits you.

Find the one that is the lessor of evils.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-27-2024, 08:28 PM

The only open mikes I've been to (out of lots) where there was a band to back up the performers were for blues shows. Three chords, no fancy tempos, well known songs to improvise on. "Sweet Home Chicago", "Rolling & Tumbling", "Spoonful" etc. Open mike performers on harmonica or guitar or vocals or maybe sax.

I can't imagine an "open to all" open mike with band succeeding on any level except a rare few times by happenstance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion