The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-07-2019, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Not to change the subject . . . but I started a new commissioned guitar today. This one is for a traditional Bluegrass player name of Joe Helm. He bought my Paisley Mahogany D-18 from Mike Wilhoyte last year when Mike received the D-28 I made him to replace his actual pre-war Dread. His confidence in me was based on the D-18, and now Joe also has become a believer. But amazingly, Joe wants a traditional Bluegrass dread in Pernambuco. It is not a blind choice as I have an L00 in P here which Joe loves the sound of. This will be an interesting challenge for me.

Here are the joined plated as of ten minutes ago:

If you look closely you might make out the penciled templates.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 PM

I think all here would excuse a change in subject when it is the introduction to a new build.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:45 PM

How many back sets of Pernambuco are big enough for a Dread? Can't be many. Will it get the bag bass that we associate with Dreads? Time will tell of course, but I'll bet you know already.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

My single 0’s get the big bass associated with dreads . . . Just less of it. I actually work to make my dreads sound pretty much like my single 0’s. . . Just more of it. To paraphrase a realtor we probably all know; “Assuming a well built toneful guitar, just three things are really important: balance/balance/balance.”
Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile Me, me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
You are most welcome. We surely all enjoy the pictures in AGF, but some of us are likely to also enjoy finding some substance in the sandwich.
More substance please! Even as beautiful as these guitars are!!! Haha

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

The serious classical guitar is through its finish curing stage, blocked and buffed successfully, and today I made a bridge for it and glued it on. Strings tomorrow, I think:

Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 PM

That top looks amazing.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is a sound clip of the Black Limba JB-15 I made for my Cremona adventure last October. This is recorded on the MacBook Pro I just got to replace my 9 year old iMac. The iMac couldn’t keep up with the information flow in GarageBand, and the new system seems to have no trouble.

This is a Contra Tune from the Portland Collection called Sackett’s Harbor, and in my typical way is 2 track, rhythm and melody. No effects or editing.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:04 PM

Fancy little tune there Bruce. Nice playing. Guitar sounds great.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Almost done this this here D! If I didn't have to go to the Sebastopol Guitar Festival on Saturday, I'd be done before Monday.

Joe went for no adjustable truss rod and instead, Carbon fiber.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I recorded a tune, Billy on the Lowground, on my previous Pernambuco Dread, which I took in as a trade a couple of weeks ago. Again, a rhythm track and a melody track, 3X through and plenty of “interpretation”.

This guitar is for sale on the inventory page at my site.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Yesterday Bruce and I went to the Sebastapol Guitar Festival, which is a small, local event that we’ve attended for a few years now. They have a small side room where a number of local luthiers bring their instruments and usually spend more time talking to each other than to potential customers, playing each others guitars (and ukeleles, mandolins, basses, pedal steels, etc. ) - a nice day in general, although the storm systems we have running across Nor Cal kept the attendance lower than anyone liked.

There were a couple highlights - local guitarist Walter Strauss did a set with one of Bruces guitars, and it was extremely good. Both the guitar, and Walter, that is. Also, I had a chance to play a couple of archtops by Tyler Wells, who had so impressed Bruce with his guitars at another show that Bruce actually bought one. I’d had a chance to try Bruces briefly, but there were three different guitars Tyler brought to Sebastapol, and all were extremely nice. His tablemate, Maegen Wells (no relation, but both work at Tom Ribbecke’s shop) also had a stunning archtop guitar on display. Both of these young luthiers are worth keeping an eye on -

After the show, we had a nice dinner with Howard Klepper and his wife. Sounds like Howard has made alot of progress in getting his shop set up, but still more to do there, and no immediate plans to start building guitars - he has a good list of personal furniture that he has been working on designs for, and I am looking forward to seeing those pieces being completed. Then, maybe more guitars - we can only hope!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The serious classical guitar is through its finish curing stage, blocked and buffed successfully, and today I made a bridge for it and glued it on. Strings tomorrow, I think:

Gorgeous Rosette Bruce!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a few pictures of the 2 single 0 guitars that I will show at B.I.G. I must say they sound just as expected. By now you know I tend to like everything I make a bit to excess for those who prefer modest understatement, but these two are special because they have built in contrast and perspective, there being two of them. Besides, those who plan to attend B.I.G. will get a chance to experience the similarities and the profound differences. And, if I still have them, I would be very pleased to have them represent my work at the Artisan Guitar Show 2 weeks later in April.

This one is in Adirondack over Honduran Mahogany, with trim, headplates, and bridge made from Jatoba:

Tuners are Rubner, which I have not used before and I like them.

A better focused shot of the top:

I will post the second guitar is another post to aid your navigation.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is the second 0 I plan to take to B.I.G. last weekend of March, rendered in Swiss Moon Spruce over Pernambuco, with another quality of Pernambuco used for the trim and the bridge:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop