The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-29-2022, 12:26 AM

I'm out in California now and I don't miss winter at all. I wouldn't mind a visit in a good storm but not to have to go out and work in it anymore
Old 01-29-2022, 12:58 AM

Well, here in New Hampshire we will hunker down. As long as we don't lose power we'll watch some good stuff on the TV and take care of business as needed. Ordered Chinese tonight and that will get us through another day. By Sunday it should be cleaned up. I don't mind it too much. Winter is not that bad and kind of fun if you are ready for it!
Old 01-29-2022, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
But do you have fresh strings?
Plenty! Good idea
Old 01-29-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
same here, just down the road from Dru (next province over) but were getting 40 cm + high winds . weather is messed up..went from -36 c wednesday to -5 today. Cant wait for Spring, the older i get the more i hate winter
Hey SS, Blizzard warning now for us here. It's going to get really nasty in about 2 hours.

US/Canada East coast is going to get hammered but this is something we see a few times a year so it's nothing new.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I grew up in the Appalachians. I learned to love the aesthetic of snow, especially the beauty of the mountains in the snow. Of course, it didn't hurt that schools were cancelled for big snow days. Well, anyway, the result is a feeling of excitement and strangely, peace, when it snows. Even as I became an adult that has never gone away.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:21 AM

If there is one weather related item that gets on my nerves it is the "weather as entertainment" phenomenon that has pushed itself to the forefront of weather forecasting.

When one of these major events comes around, if you want to see this stupidity in action just turn on the Weather Channel. Every winter storm, every hurricane, every tropical storm is going to be "the storm of the century" with endless prognostications on how if this happens or that happens doom is sure to land upon us all. I've stopped watching and just read the weather report online.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I feel for those on the upper east coast. The weather has changed and though I have lived through weather like the east coast has been dealing with we don't get weather like that anymore. Everything has been sliding around us. I live right in the center of the 48 and it's been a drought for over a year now. We had two small snows that melted off but right now it's dry as a bone around here. So far, we have been saving on snowplow fees though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2022, 11:17 AM

Well out here in the western part of Massachusetts, we barely got 3", but I have friends east of here that saw 30". Better them than me. I do like the silence a fresh storm brings.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 01-31-2022, 12:42 PM

I'm in Central Mass (west of the dreaded snow belt) hard to say how much for sure due to winds and drifts, but from what I just shoveled off the deck, where somehow the drifting wasn't as prevalent, probably 15+"

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-31-2022, 02:26 PM

We got a foot of snow. I think we're fortunate that the forecasted freezing rain didn't happen (that would have felled some power lines). I was watching the snow blow horizontally out of my window.

Snow storms aren't nearly as bad when you don't have to travel in them.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I hire my snow removal out so I don't have to deal with that. But I also have a Ford truck with the extreme off road package. So I tend to drive the mile and a half to the grocery store in the middle of the storm just because I can. Sometimes multiple times. Being a townie thats about the only time I get to throw it into four wheel drive and lock both axels. My snow removal crew wishes I wouldn't pack the snow down by driving on it, but that's the way it goes.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-01-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I'm ok with snow, but after losing electricity for five days in the beginning of January, I'm ready for winter to be over...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-02-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Listening to the national news, you’d think it had never snowed on the east coast before.
?
That’s why I don’t listen or watch anymore.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-02-2022, 08:29 AM

Having been on a read old news via web and watch old news via YouTube more than once I've felt nothing on storm reporting is really new - the catching attention and sparking fear.

Some good history and behavioral economics reading have also been insightful. We have conscious and subconscious thought. We just need to be mindful of the many ways a fight or flight reaction can occur. Sparking fear isn't even a news thing. It's a long running way in families and in the traditional upbringing I had.

Fear makes most people do and believe stupid things. You just need to keep that in mind whether it's a storm or all sorts of things we encounter all the time.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Just took this photo out the office window. We got about 6" of fresh powder overnight, and it's still coming. I'll be firing up the snowblower here in a bit.

I grew up in the Midwest, and learned to hate snow a long time ago. But up here in the Rocky Mountains where I now live, I've learned to see it differently. It is important in that we need the moisture to prevent summertime wildfires, and it's important to the ski and fishing industries.

And it's usually nice fluffy powder, not the heavy wet stuff I grew up shoveling.

Plus I don't have to be anywhere today, which helps. Maybe I'll get a couple hours of guitar playing in!

20220202_073445.jpg

Last edited by KenL; 02-02-2022 at 08:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic