The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 06:26 AM

That was the whole idea behind the MDW, my signature guitar by Jason Kostal

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:40 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
But I would love to have a 000-size guitar (short scale? 12 fret?) that has the voice of a bigger guitar, particularly on the bass end. To that end, are there makers, wood combinations, neck lengths that I should explore. I have to say, it has been a very enjoyable trip down the rabbit hole....
Thanks
David
I could be totally wrong... but I suspect that a smaller guitar with a disproportionaley large bottom or I think it's called bout compared with the upper end of the guitar(towards the neck), other things being equal, may produce a bigger sound that a more symmetrically shaped guitar.

Because my understanding is that the bout is where most of the volume comes from. Pls bear in I could b talking b@lls.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 AM

Froggy Bottom P12.

Punches WAY above its weight class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhiZqBYxG8
Old 02-15-2020, 07:24 AM

I'd be looking at something with these kind of dimensions: 15-16" lower bout, well-defined waist. 4" minimum depth to the body.

The wider bout will add volume and projection. To go wider than this will probably decrease your comfort level. The narrower waist (compared to a dread) will give added comfort. The deeper body will add bass.

Various makers give these size guitars a variety of names - OOO, OM, Auditorium, Concert....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 AM

one guitar that immediately came to mi d was Taylors 712ce 12 fret. this is a grand concert size 12 fret.
The lutz spruce top and 12 fret bridge
placement gives it a bigger than life
sound. Plus its not hard to find a taylor
dealer. So you could go play one.
Make sure its 2016 or newer.
Thats when they redesigned the 7 series and used lutz spruce for tops.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I went on line and discovered that there is precious little dimensional difference between the Slope D and Larrive 000, despite how different they feel.
Slope D: Upper bout - 11 3/8"
Lower bout - 15 3/16"
Waist - 10.25"
Depth - 4 7/8"

Larrivee 000: Upper bout - 11.125
Lower bout 15.374"
Waist 9.375"
Depth 4.5"
Are you sure about that lower bout measurement? That seems small for a slope dread.

I also want to throw out one more suggestion for your consideration: a Collings SJ. (Thanks to another thread started yesterday by Wade Hampton Miller, I just learned that the Collings SJ is only 4.5" deep, which is shallower than a Gibson small jumbo.)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Martin's 000-15SM meets your criteria....

What he said...
Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I have been on this quest for years and it is indeed difficult. I’ve owned many OMs from Martin, Collings, and Santa Cruz that were great guitars but ultimately got sold for not being dread-like enough. There is no replacement for displacement if you want that big deep bass. I have two non-dreads that fit the bill:

Martin 000-18 Authentic (Adi/Hog)

Bourgeois Aged Tone JOMT Vintage (Torrefied Adi/EIR)

The Bourgeois is an awesome guitar and is the more versatile of the two, in that it can take a thrashing / aggressive strumming whereas the Martin cannot. Both are awesome flatpickers and have a deep, dark, dread like bass. Dimensionally the JOMT is a sized up OM...1” longer overall length, 1/2” wider upper and lower bouts, and 4 1/4” at the tail. Same 3 1/4” depth at the neck heel. Blows the M36 and Santa Cruz OM Grand out of the water — not a fair fight.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-15-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

David,

I think that only hands-on experience is going to get you where you want to go. Have you been to Buckdancer's in Portland? It's a music shop on Congress Street. It's closer than the Music Emporium, but they have a wide selection of Martins and some other acoustics.

For the best experience, mid-week at the Music Emporium is quieter than on Saturdays, especially during the winter. Even if you aren't ready to buy, they will walk you through the various brands, including lower end instruments, and the inventory right now is outstanding.

I was there last week and it was overwhelming. Lots of new stuff from NAMM. They did have a 14 fret Bourgeois 00 with a satin finish that was headed out the door, but I got to play it, and it was the first Bourgeois that I have been tempted by in a long time. Get out and play some guitars. There is no substitute for first hand hands-on experience.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Are you sure about that lower bout measurement? That seems small for a slope dread.
OP here. See: https://bourgeoisguitars.net/guitar-...tyles/slope-d/
Cheers,
David
Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
David,

I think that only hands-on experience is going to get you where you want to go. Have you been to Buckdancer's in Portland? It's a music shop on Congress Street. It's closer than the Music Emporium, but they have a wide selection of Martins and some other acoustics.
Thanks for yours. I have been to Buckdancer's a couple times. It is a great little shop, but no longer on Congress St. Perhaps it has been a time since you were there, as it is now inconveniently located in a strip mall on St. John St. Like you, I remember it on Congress back in the 80's when I was going to school in Portland.
Their inventory was limited - heavy on Martins and less so on Taylors. The best of them for me was a Martin 000-15sm, which is a lovely, easy playing box, but not what I am looking for right now.
I visited the Music Emporium for the first time several weeks ago. I had never been to such a place before. If heaven is a guitar shop....Unfortunately, I was limited for time but spent it well, with a Froggy Bottom M, Santa Cruz walnut and, the creme, a Nightingale that was both inspiring and rather frightening in its voice, sounding like the entire Mormon Tabernacle Choir performing from your lap. I gently set it back on the stand, and slowly backed away. I will definitely head back there when I have more time available.
Cheers.
David (way north of Boston)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I have been on this quest for years and it is indeed difficult... I have two non-dreads that fit the bill:

Martin 000-18 Authentic (Adi/Hog)

Bourgeois Aged Tone JOMT Vintage (Torrefied Adi/EIR)
Blows the M36 and Santa Cruz OM Grand out of the water — not a fair fight.
Good suggestion. I am already predisposed to Dana's guitars as they are solid and made in my home town. And I have spent some time in his shop getting to know their tech/repair guy who did a full check up/set up/neck reset/ saddle replacement on my Slope D. Wicked good people. I will check out the JOMT.
Cheers.
David
Old 02-15-2020, 09:09 AM

The Bourgeois JOM is a great choice, I believe, for your consideration. 15.5" lower bout.
If you can find one, the Jeff Bamburg FSC model (15" lower bout) could also be a winner. Extremely big sound and full.........short scale and very easy to play. Seems to be in the realm of the Froggy Bottom H series.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Ah, thanks. Lower bout is 15-13/16"; that makes more sense.
Good luck (and have fun) with your quest!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Ah, thanks. Lower bout is 15-13/16"; that makes more sense.
Good luck (and have fun) with your quest!
My bad. Thanks, mate.
D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion