The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-04-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I used to own one of those. It had its own unique voice, but it still sounded nothing like my X20. It also sounded nothing like my Martin.

They, all three, sound like guitars to me - can we at least agree on that?
Of course; I just don’t think the x20 touches the Martin or Taylor. Not in the recording.

I mean no offence. I simply state my observations.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaDave View Post
Of course; I just don’t think the x20 touches the Martin or Taylor. Not in the recording.

I mean no offence. I simply state my observations.
No offense taken. I always get a little bristly when someone brings up the 'plastic' word, as very few people have ever seen or heard a plastic guitar, let alone played one - and, of course, carbon fibre is not plastic

I'd be interested to see if your opinion changed if you ever got a chance to play an X20. If you ever find yourself in my part of Minnesota, you'd be very welcome to try mine.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I always get a little bristly when someone brings up the 'plastic' word, as very few people have ever seen or heard a plastic guitar, let alone played one - and, of course, carbon fibre is not plastic
I used the "p-word" in the title tongue in cheek, but it was clearly a poor choice of words. FWIW I've changed the title of the thread...
Old 11-04-2021, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Alex always does REALLY great reviews! Makes my meager efforts look so amateurish. As for sound, I'll echo what most said in that they all sound different but not necessarily 'bad'. I do think the X20 sounded the least impressive of the three. What really jumped out at me more than anything was just how great the Taylor sounded. I think the Taylor was far and away better than either the Emerald or the Martin. And I am SO not a Taylor guy!!
Old 11-04-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
No offense taken. I always get a little bristly when someone brings up the 'plastic' word, as very few people have ever seen or heard a plastic guitar, let alone played one - and, of course, carbon fibre is not plastic

I'd be interested to see if your opinion changed if you ever got a chance to play an X20. If you ever find yourself in my part of Minnesota, you'd be very welcome to try mine.
I am humbled by your warmth and hospitality.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I do think the X20 sounded the least impressive of the three. What really jumped out at me more than anything was just how great the Taylor sounded. I think the Taylor was far and away better than either the Emerald or the Martin. And I am SO not a Taylor guy!!
This.....I agree.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I listened with headphones and I found two things:

1. Worst pick I ever heard.

2. The recording quality wasn't that great.

We all know that a lot of a guitar's tone gets left behind when recorded and listened to online.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 11-04-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:57 PM

I hear, from left to right: precise - shallow - CSNY.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

That was a really good review. Especially liked how he did the side by side comparison. I've never played a CF guitar, but find them interesting. And the appearance of the X20 was striking. Listening through headphones I too found the CF to sound a little thin compared to the others - or maybe a little muted? The Martin maybe had a little more sustain and harmonics. But they all sounded good - just different.

Thanks for posting...
Old 11-04-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I've seen that before, tonefiend does a great review of Thomastik Infeld strings. I'm kind of shocked at how good that Maccaferri sounds. Still prefer CF tonally and really appreciate the modernization of the instrument via the material. I also had an Ovation, but as cool as that guitar was it is no match for anything I've played in the CF world.

A great player can make great music on anything. in the right hands anything sounds good- but you can't leave everything the truck of your car, worry-free on a freezing/hot day.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:21 AM

Same reviewer.

X30 / Martin
Old 11-05-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I used to own one of those. It had its own unique voice, but it still sounded nothing like my X20. It also sounded nothing like my Martin.

They, all three, sound like guitars to me - can we at least agree on that?
I never found that You tube recordings were helpful in determining how a guitar sounds in person.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 11-05-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Same reviewer.

X30 / Martin
For me, I can hear each string far more clearly on the Martin; though top end is a touch bright. The X30 sounds very homogeneous, and muffled.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Some of the wood builders try to get the body and top as light as they can, albeit braced so it doesn't collapse.

I have to wonder if CF build could be constructed as thin or thinner, trading off some of the inherent structural integrity for resonance and tone. I'm sure Alistair has been down this road. I'd be interested in hearing an expert chime on on this.

All I know is my Emeralds seem nearly indestructible and built like tanks.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
For me, I can hear each string far more clearly on the Martin; though top end is a touch bright. The X30 sounds very homogeneous, and muffled.
I find even Youtube can be useful when the presenter uses the same mic and placement for comparison. It might not be entirely a perfect representative sound we hear from a guitar compared to hearing it in person, but the differences will be very close to equal for each guitar. Side by side, unlike a single guitar review, we get to compare and understand "reasonably" what to expect from each guitar in person, IMO.

As to how you personally hear each guitar and your preferences, it shows how very different each individual's hearing can be. For me, hearing them side by side like this, I would never consider the Martin over the Emerald--it wasn't even close. This surprised me. I'd take the X30 in a heartbeat.

Different strokes . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber