The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Lol - I saw this thread title and thought, "Hey, I posted a thread like this some time ago... it's an interesting subject. Let's go see what's new..." only to realize this actually WAS the thread I started back in 2014!

Sorry that original photo doesn't show up, for those reading for the first time. It was a photo of a Martin 00-28VS with a Pearse armrest. Both those guitars are long gone. Today it's a Martin with no bevel (or armrest) and a custom Emerald X20 with built in bevel.

The X20 is definitely the more comfortable to play although playing the guitar without one does not bother me.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Just bought a true Jumbo 12 string guitar that came with an armrest attached. I like it...very comfy for me, and the additional thickness isn’t all that noticeable for me. But The improved angle of my hand and wrist (when fingerpicking) is noticeable straight away. And while I have no idea whether the armrest has improved the tone or volume of the guitar, I can say that this one of the loudest and most sonically gorgeous guitars I have ever played or heard.

I may become a fan...
Old 10-07-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lol - I saw this thread title and thought, "Hey, I posted a thread like this some time ago... it's an interesting subject. Let's go see what's new..." only to realize this actually WAS the thread I started back in 2014!

Sorry that original photo doesn't show up, for those reading for the first time. It was a photo of a Martin 00-28VS with a Pearse armrest. Both those guitars are long gone. Today it's a Martin with no bevel (or armrest) and a custom Emerald X20 with built in bevel.

The X20 is definitely the more comfortable to play although playing the guitar without one does not bother me.
Do you still have that beautiful Kronbauer TDK?
I don't see it listed in your signature.
It looks amazing.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-07-2018, 04:03 PM

I don't like the arm rests due to the increased thickness. I'm too short and stubby for that.

I like bevels on guitars with a big soundboard and/or deep sides.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Do you still have that beautiful Kronbauer TDK?
I don't see it listed in your signature.
It looks amazing.
Sadly, no. I actually owned two at one point. The other one was even more special than the one pictured but both have gone on to be enjoyed by others. Sometimes I amazes me the incredible guitars that have come through my hands in such a short amount of time.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 AM

The two are designed to solve different "problems". The arm rest allows the top to vibrate more freely and the bevel is designed for comfort. It actually has a little less top to vibrate, not that you would hear any difference. The armrest thickens the depth a bit so it might be argued that, at least for some, it would be a bit less comfortable to play, though that is ameliorated a bit by the curve to the edge of the armrest.

For myself, fortunately I do not feel I need either. I prefer to play sitting, so my belly does not muffle the back's vibrations so an armrest is needed less. And the 90 degree edge of the lower bout does not bother me. Neither one is a thing of beauty, though i will admit to admiring some bevels. And if I felt I needed either one, I'd have them.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 AM

Both of my acoustics have a bevel. Dare I say once I had a bevel I could never go back. It really comes into play during those times where I might have time to play four or five hours at a sitting. For me, its a comfort thing.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Yea, I just received a Taylor Academy Nylon which is the least expensive in my lineup, and holy moly, the arm bevel is unbelievably comfortable.

Sometimes during a really demanding fingerpicking song, my fingers and arm will start to go numb because of I guess, how I position. This bevel solves that issue.

If I ever order a BTO or custom going forward, it will be with an arm bevel. Even if you think they look ugly (they look fine to me), the functionality really can't be beat.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 03-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

IMHO, the consideration of an armrest or arm bevel is not only for comfort but just as importantly is the function of directing forearm pressure away from the top so as to enable the guitar's top to vibrate freely to produce the best tone possible from the guitar. Which one works best for you would depend on how your forearm contacts the guitar's top during playing. Frankly, IMHO, the best device would be an armrest that cantilevers over the top but the base of which originates integral from the guitar's side wood. This would not add any possible adhesive-deadening as may an after-market stick-on armrest and would definitely remove any forearm pressure from the top which can still occur with a bevel armrest.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-17-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Here's one more for the droolers.
Drool Drool. That is one gorgeous guitar. Love the inlay in the fingerboard. What size guitar is that?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-18-2019, 03:04 PM

I bought a classical with an Armrest (not arm-bevel) and I am pro arm-rest now. Before I was pro armbevel, but I think the arm-rest does the job of freeing up the top better.

With the arm bevel you can still have flesh touching the top beyond where the kerfing ends, thus dampening the top. Guess it all depends how thick your arm is, where you place it and the dimensions of the guitar.

I was more convinced when I saw this older John Pearse video where he. shows the difference. Getting the WHOLE arm off the top is best IMHO

There are other benefits. No arm sweat eating your finish. I have a French polish finish, delicate and needs to be looked after. The bevel makes that a worry free feature! I get all the tone with no hassle.

ALSO... my bevel is just oiled. No skin pulling due to a glossy top!

Here is my arm bevel on my De Cascia Sylvia lattice braced double top. the bevel only touches right at the edge. The photo is their stock web page photo, but it's just like mine. More pics at De Cascia Sylvia

Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
There are other benefits. No arm sweat eating your finish. I have a French polish finish, delicate and needs to be looked after. The bevel makes that a worry free feature! I get all the tone with no hassle.
Pretty sure none of the JP armrests will work on a satin/matte finish, right?
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Washburn has incorporated a bevel into their comfort line at lower price points. I noticed no difference positive or negative when compared with my regular guitars. Perhaps ones from manufacturers like Taylor are better but based on this one experience I’m not impressed
Martin Backpacker
Old 03-18-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
Pretty sure none of the JP armrests will work on a satin/matte finish, right?

It will work and I speak from experience
Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 PM

I just ordered one from AEM International on Amazon , for my Martin Custom D Classic . Sounds like it could improve sound and volume only one way to find out , Joe R

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion