The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
So I picked up the Yamaha from the Post Office today and I've spent the last couple of hours playing it in different configurations of amplification, taking photos, making a review video (uploading as I type) and just generally getting to know the guitar. Not too bad. Sound is decent. Not stellar but then again this is just through existing setups with a little bit of noodling. Impressed with the look, feel, build quality and liking the feel of nylon although it is going to take some getting used to more from a playing dynamics standpoint. I'll embed the video and some photos here but I'm also going to post a NGD thread over in the General Forum eventually just so it's findable by search. It's early but I'm liking the guitar for the most part. I think that if it performs well at the next open mic and allows me to dial in a better tone than I can with my Emeralds then it will likely be a keeper. If not then I think I'll begin looking into an Emerald X10 nylon build unless I can convince someone to part with theirs.

Here's the video - as usual, recorded with just mobile phone so take audio quality with a grain of salt. Also, apologies for the vocals. The wife does most of the singing and there's a reason why that is true! But she was at work... so it's her fault!

Photos to follow...
Very well done! Sounded great to me!

Todd in Chicago
Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Scott! Looks good. And now, perhaps, USPS can do the humane thing and put down that poor mule.

So, how does is sound plugged into the S1? Inquiring minds want to know. Oops, on edit, I see you posted a video before the photos - the thread came up on your photos, so I missed that first post. Thanks!

---------

On edit, again: I enjoyed the video, Scott - good info! Mine left Sweetwater on Wednesday evening, but I am thinking the blizzards across the mid-section of the country may hold things up.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-14-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Guest 928

Methos;

It's a different look, but still in all, quite beautiful.

I'm not getting the sound track (just a black screen) but I remember the quality sound that comes from the instrument. The neat thing is that the Yamaha is an inexpensive try and if you don't like it you'll have no trouble getting most of your money back. Enjoy.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Well done, I enjoyed your video.....I think you are creating some gas.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

The quality of the sound is much better than in the video. For some reason my cell phone videos always seem to lose the bass and leave the tone kind of shrill. It actually sounds better if you listen on some decent headphones but through the tiny mobile phone or laptop speaker(s) it's very thin sounding.

One neat feature I noted after continuing playing after my earlier post is the the Yammy turns on AND off automatically when plugging in or unplugging. Neat feature that will help save batteries.

I played for a few more hours before work and eventually swapped between the Yammy and the X20 and X7 guitars. I noticed that going from the Emeralds to the Yammy was much easier than going from Yammy back over to the Emeralds.

This could become problematic in that I'll have to make sure that whatever guitar I'm currently playing the most I either plan on using at an upcoming gig or to make sure I switch over with enough time to make the transition.

Where it's easy to switch between the two steel string Emeralds, the nylon string Yammy is WAY too different. Not only the wider string ergs but the less tension, and required changes to playing dynamics.

It furthers the case that I should seriously consider another custom Emerald in nylon. (See what I did there?) Of course it also makes it likely that I will at some point need to fully commit to one string type or the other. Hmm.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The quality of the sound is much better than in the video. For some reason my cell phone videos always seem to lose the bass and leave the tone kind of shrill. It actually sounds better if you listen on some decent headphones but through the tiny mobile phone or laptop speaker(s) it's very thin sounding.

One neat feature I noted after continuing playing after my earlier post is the the Yammy turns on AND off automatically when plugging in or unplugging. Neat feature that will help save batteries.

I played for a few more hours before work and eventually swapped between the Yammy and the X20 and X7 guitars. I noticed that going from the Emeralds to the Yammy was much easier than going from Yammy back over to the Emeralds.

This could become problematic in that I'll have to make sure that whatever guitar I'm currently playing the most I either plan on using at an upcoming gig or to make sure I switch over with enough time to make the transition.

Where it's easy to switch between the two steel string Emeralds, the nylon string Yammy is WAY too different. Not only the wider string ergs but the less tension, and required changes to playing dynamics.

It furthers the case that I should seriously consider another custom Emerald in nylon. (See what I did there?) Of course it also makes it likely that I will at some point need to fully commit to one string type or the other. Hmm.
Oh, yeah, we all saw what you did there! "Honey, I need to spend $500 so I can justify spending $3500."
Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I played for a few more hours before work...
Congrats on the NGD. That is a great review & demo. Now you're starting to see why I now leave my SLG at work.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Oh, yeah, we all saw what you did there! "Honey, I need to spend $500 so I can justify spending $3500."
Nothing gets by you - that's why you're the Captain!

Another custom build would likely be an X10 for sure. Nylon would be a farther stretch though that would require me to make a conscious decision to go full nylon for performance that would ultimately mean at least one - if not both! - of my steel string Emeralds going on the chopping block. And that's not a decision to be taken lightly.

What I truly need is one Emerald custom woody that does it all: The superb plugged-in, bulletproof performance of an X20 in the short scale comfort of an X10 or X7 body with a pickup system that is equally at home plugged into, well, anything! Including being able to plug into awful open mic setups and still giving me great tone. Plus it still needs to sound great unplugged.

To a certain extent that means some sort of active system that has onboard preamp, EQ and notch. I know we've all gotten away from barn door pickup systems and for good reason but if someone was actually still making a quality barn door system I'd consider it. It just seems like those systems are always failing.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:18 PM

Great video. I really enjoyed it. I've never played a nylon string guitar. It's got me thinking now.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Scott, one thing about the Yamaha silent guitar if you are going to play it standing up with a strap at a gig:

Since the strap button doubles as the screw-lock for the upper wooden frame, be careful that it doesn't come loose while you are playing! Several times after 30 - 60 minutes of playing the Yamaha, one of the strap buttons came too loose. Just check the tightness every now and then on BOTH of the strap buttons!

On the other hand, maybe letting it come apart intentionally could be part of the show.....................??!!...?? Well, probably not...........

It sounds to me like you might like Alistair to make you a thin body Nylon string X7 like Evan, only maybe with the new X7 body.

Or you could ask him to make you a double neck X10 or X 20, one neck for nylon string, and the other neck for steel string.

The top nylon string silent guitar might be Frameworks, in Germany. The price range is probably similar to what you can expect from Emerald. Maybe less than Emerald if you are ordering custom options on an Emerald.

https://www.frameworks-guitars.com/en/
Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Scott, one thing about the Yamaha silent guitar if you are going to play it standing up with a strap at a gig:

Since the strap button doubles as the screw-lock for the upper wooden frame, be careful that it doesn't come loose while you are playing! Several times after 30 - 60 minutes of playing the Yamaha, one of the strap buttons came too loose. Just check the tightness every now and then on BOTH of the strap buttons!

On the other hand, maybe letting it come apart intentionally could be part of the show.....................??!!...?? Well, probably not...........

It sounds to me like you might like Alistair to make you a thin body Nylon string X7 like Evan, only maybe with the new X7 body.

Or you could ask him to make you a double neck X10 or X 20, one neck for nylon string, and the other neck for steel string.

The top nylon string silent guitar might be Frameworks, in Germany. The price range is probably similar to what you can expect from Emerald. Maybe less than Emerald if you are ordering custom options on an Emerald.

https://www.frameworks-guitars.com/en/
I'm actually aware of that issue with the strap buttons having read it before. I thought about putting some of the Low Strength Locktite 222 on the threads just to get some hold if I end up keeping and gigging with the guitar.

I'm leaning towards the X10 since although I love the X7 size and feel I'd like to try something new and different. Then I'd have all three. I also like Evan's slim body X10 and would consider that in a custom. Not a double neck fan.

That's the problem - so many customizations to choose from and no guarantee that what you order will check off all the boxes you hoped it would! You just don't know until you get it.

I'd really like to play an X10 nylon or pick one up used before I custom order just to check out the ergs and the new pickup system. I don't suppose you're tiring of YOUR custom X10 woody just yet are you...?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Your video and impressions make me hopeful of what is to come when my SLG gets delivered (probably Monday). That said, while I am intrigued by the nylon sound, I definitely still prefer the sound of steel strings. I see this as a diversion or an addition, not something that will replace my steel string guitars.

I'm going to give it an honest try and figure I'm not out much either way. And for the record, I think the SLG is kinda cool looking... in an out-of-the-ordinary way.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Scott, would locktite damage the mechanism? What if you decide to sell the guitar and those screws are goobered up with locktite? It might be easy to just make it a habit to quickly apply a slight tightening to both strap buttons at the end of each tune.

I thought that Evan's slim body nylon string Emerald was an X7.

Thank you for asking - I don't foresee selling either of my X10s any time soon.

In fact, I don't like to part with a guitar. Probably sounds silly, but they are like family members. Each has it's own voice, it's own feel.

Come to think of it, I remember now that I bought a Cargo steel string guitar about 10 years ago that I never really liked much. I don't remember the model. It was a travel guitar, cost around $1000. I ended up giving it to the guy who recorded one of my son's early CDs to pay for his studio time.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Scott, would locktite damage the mechanism? What if you decide to sell the guitar and those screws are goobered up with locktite? It might be easy to just make it a habit to quickly apply a slight tightening to both strap buttons at the end of each tune.

I thought that Evan's slim body nylon string Emerald was an X7.

Thank you for asking - I don't foresee selling either of my X10s any time soon.

In fact, I don't like to part with a guitar. Probably sounds silly, but they are like family members. Each has it's own voice, it's own feel.

Come to think of it, I remember now that I bought a Cargo steel string guitar about 10 years ago that I never really liked much. I don't remember the model. It was a travel guitar, cost around $1000. I ended up giving it to the guy who recorded one of my son's early CDs to pay for his studio time.
Loctite 222 (purple) is very low tension/hold. One tiny drop won't gum things up. Evan has a thin body X7 electric and had a slim body X10 acoustic which he sold to kramster. I much prefer the X10.

I remember seeing a photo posted of you X10 nylon cocobolo and thought it would be a perfect sister to my X20!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 AM

Nice guitar and review Scott.
Back to the Capt’s post, I had a steel string version of this I traveled with for almost 2 years, then Taylor came out with the Mini in 2010 and I sold the Yamaha to acquire one(not a lot of funds available at the time). I really liked the Yamaha, and since the frame of the body is some sort of non-wood material this seems the perfect forum....
Looking forward to hearing your NGD impressions of the Nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber