The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-07-2021, 11:26 PM

Default Since the Bose L1 compact is discontinued…

Bose discontinued the L1 compact, leaving the market share for a lightweight Stick PA [29.2 lbs. (13.3 kg)].

The L1 pro 8 is significantly heavier.

There is now a clear gap between the Bose S1 pro [15.5 lbs (7 Kg)], 103 dB / 109 dB peak and the L1 pro 8 [39.8 lbs (18 kg)], 112 dB / 118 dB peak.

I don’t think the JBL eon one and JBL eon one pro overtook the L1 compact. So what unit do you think will replace the L1 compact in this market share?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 08-07-2021, 11:33 PM

I'm personally hoping for a Bose S2 Pro or something before I resume any sort of music work!
Old 08-08-2021, 05:14 AM

Let's clarify "this market share."
Under $1000
Well under 50lbs
At least two inputs [instr, voc + aux]
Line array [free-standing -- no speaker pole/stand needed]

Sound about right?

Maui has some options, as does Harbinger.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Let's clarify "this market share."
Under $1000
Well under 50lbs
At least two inputs [instr, voc + aux]
Line array [free-standing -- no speaker pole/stand needed]

Sound about right?

Maui has some options, as does Harbinger.
I would add - with battery power.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

What I see replacing the Compact is the S1 Pro/Sub1. I know that doesn't meet the criteria that others listed but I'm excited about this option.

When I go on the road I typically bring an L1 Model 2, a Compact and an S1 Pro. This gives me a ton of flexibility for various venues and I have a bit of backup should something go wrong. On these road trips the Model 2 and the S1 Pro get a lot of use. I almost never use the Compact.

I'm finishing up a month long music trip and since I'm now also bringing a piano with me, I left the Compact at home.

When I start playing more regularly, I am going to get rid of the Model 2 and get the Pro32 with the Sub1.

I really like the idea of taking the same sub that I would use with the Pro32 and have a smaller but still powerful system using the pole and the S1 Pro.

But that's just me.

Matt
Old 08-09-2021, 12:20 AM

Used L1 Compacts for even less money. I picked up a second one here. I no longer have to lug my L1M2 if I need more than a single L1 for a gig. My back is quite happy.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

I kept my L1 Compact for use as an extension speaker. But honestly, with all the new advances in technology, it was outdated and ready for end of life. The L1 Pro 8 is bigger and a little heavier but superior in features and performance. I always felt the L1 Compact needed reverb and two channels allowing for XLR mic inputs, line or mic level. The Bluetooth App for the L1 Pro 8 makes it infinitely more versatile and user friendly. Most of the competitors are doing that now as well.

So I say it's OK Bose discontinued the L1 Compact. It was great for its day, but due for an upgrade. The S1 Pro will never have the power, dispersion or coverage range of the taller stick systems. (IMHO)
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-10-2021, 12:12 PM

Default Since the Bose L1 compact is discontinued…

If you add a Bose Sub1 and a pole to the S1 Pro, you get a pretty kicking micro PA.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoC-LkQAvD_BwE

I have an Elite Acoustics D6-58. Often that is enough by itself. If it isn’t, many clubs where I play have their own powered speakers and poles. If they don’t and the D6-58 need a little help, I can often point the amp at me, and a single S1 out to the audience. If it is an odd shaped room, I have a second S1. I just got a piezo stomp box for kick drum sounds. If I want a little more low end for that (or looping), the Sub1 with a pole makes the S1 into a system that is perfect for places where you would want a stick and sub system.

At least, that is my plan.

Last edited by lkingston; 08-10-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
If you add a Bose Sub1 and a pole to the S1 Pro, you get a pretty kicking micro PA.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoC-LkQAvD_BwE
Yeah but isn't a Bose L1 Pro8 or L1 Pro 16 a simpler, easier form factor? and you can use the APP.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-10-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Yeah but isn't a Bose L1 Pro8 or L1 Pro 16 a simpler, easier form factor? and you can use the APP.

Maybe, but the thing with the Sub1/S1 system is that you only have to use the sub if you need it. A lot of the time, one or two S1 Pro speakers by themselves is enough.

Last edited by lkingston; 08-10-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have an Elite Acoustics D6-58. Often that is enough by itself. If it isn’t, many clubs where I play have their own powered speakers and poles. If they don’t and the D6-58 need a little help, I can often point the amp at me, and a single S1 out to the audience. If it is an odd shaped room, I have a second S1. I just got a piezo stomp box for kick drum sounds. If I want a little more low end for that (or looping), the Sub1 with a pole makes the S1 into a system that is perfect for places where you would want a stick and sub system.

At least, that is my plan.
Interesting that you choose to point the D6-58 at you and the S1 out at the crowd. I would think it would be the other way around. I know (from personal experience) that the S1 does get very loud when a pre-amped signal is thrown at it but still I would think the D6-58 would have more power and bigger sound with the larger speakers. No? I've been considering the D6-58 Pro as a main with perhaps an S1 as a backup monitor for us if we really need to crank the EAE out front. Love to hear your thoughts on your choices.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:10 PM

The D6-58 is certainly more powerful than the S1 and can certainly handle any room that the S1 can handle. I'm a former sound guy (who retired because of significant hearing loss) so I tend to go overboard with sound gear.

What the S1 has going for it is three high frequency drivers pointed left right and center, so it does a nice horizontal spread with a diminished vertical spread. I think it has a little more throw at low volumes.

I just got the Sub1 and Bose pole, so I have only tried it at home, but it definitely has the wow factor of an L1 system. It puts out that thumping bass that the S1 Pro alone cannot touch.

Really, the assignment of the D6-58 for my own monitoring has more to do with being able to reach the mixer controls. Also, while both the D6-58 and the S1 sound very good, the D6-58 is a little better, and why shouldn't I hear it for myself?

Another thing for me personally is that my wife does fundraising events that have nothing to do with music, and I love the S1 for that. I use it with a couple Fifine wireless mics that I would never sing through, but which sound absolutely fine for speech. I would hate to have to use my beautiful wood D6-58 for general AV. So I really need the S1 even if I stopped using it for live music otherwise I might be more tempted to use just the D6-58.

Also, having separate speaker systems for me and the audience lets me keep my own personal SPL levels a little softer. I like to keep the volume for my own monitor low enough that I am not further damaging my hearing.

When I used the full L1 system, I was often hearing it way louder than I would have liked. Usually I didn't have the stage space to put the tower the 8 feet or so back from me that it takes to get a nice stage sound

With the D6-58 pointed at me on the side of my good ear, and the S1 (and Sub1 if I need it) in front of me, I am hearing a much softer, less reverberant, clearer sound than I would be if I was sharing the speaker with the audience. With my hearing loss, that has become important.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:18 PM

One last thing: here in Asheville, live music is pretty important to the bars and breweries. Often a place will have their own PA which will consist of a couple of decent powered speakers, mixer and mics, cables and stands. Often the mixer is pretty simple and there are no monitors.

The D6-58 is wonderful in that you can set up the sound for yourself and then just run line outs to the house powered speakers. There is even a full EQ on the line outs of the D6-58! That makes for the simplest of setups, and yet I still get wonderful sound.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
One last thing: here in Asheville, live music is pretty important to the bars and breweries. Often a place will have their own PA which will consist of a couple of decent powered speakers, mixer and mics, cables and stands. Often the mixer is pretty simple and there are no monitors.

The D6-58 is wonderful in that you can set up the sound for yourself and then just run line outs to the house powered speakers. There is even a full EQ on the line outs of the D6-58! That makes for the simplest of setups, and yet I still get wonderful sound.
This, and I’d say the LR Baggs synapse are the best all-in-one units on the market, priced up there for sure. Maybe the EAE with a sight advantage being battery operated (since the shutdowns). As appealing as the idea of a single Evolve 30 or 50m to me is, that would blast your eardrums out if you counted on it to act as both a monitor & a main angled right at you like your d6-58! Good points, thank you for sharing the often overlooked topic of hearing loss from live sound. Much more important.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
...Good points, thank you for sharing the often overlooked topic of hearing loss from live sound. Much more important.
Hearing loss is the main reason I am playing guitar instead of keyboard. I always played a little bit of guitar since I was a child, but my main instrument through college and my band playing years was keyboard. I could play some chords and fingerpick some arpeggio patterns, and I knew my scales, but I wasn't a guitar player.

When my hearing started going in my left ear, it went through a period where it distorted badly, and fingerstyle acoustic guitar was the only music I could stand. That's when I really started concentrating on guitar, maybe seven or eight years ago.

Now my hearing is completely gone in that ear, and my right ear seems to have levelled off with just high frequency loss. But I am extremely protective about my remaining hearing and will just leave any place that is too loud, even if I have bought expensive tickets to a show.

I used an L1 mkii system for a while, and much of the time it was brilliant. The column design meant that it wasn't that much louder near the stage than the back of the room. It was still louder than I like though, and so I started moving it in front of me and using a monitor.

I also found that while it was wonderful for a seated audience, as soon as people stood up, their bodies absorbed all the high frequencies. A regular powered speaker raise high above people's heads is better for a standing crowd or a packed dance floor.

The other thing I found out is that deep dispersion isn't always a good thing. People go to the front of a room to listen and dance, and to the back of a room to get away from the music and talk.

Music that is loud enough to dance to is too loud for my ears if I am listening to the same speaker from on stage. I'd rather have a PA Speaker in front of me and a softer speaker pointed at me.

In this context, the D6-8 was really enough, but the natural wood cabinet, side mounted controls, and the extra headroom of the D6-58 was too much to resist.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification