The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 07:01 PM

Default Collings OM1 vs. OM1T

OK, so I'm looking to get a Collings OM1 guitar and I haven't been able to compare these back to back. What is the general difference in sound and playability to any of you that have compared both? I'm interested in getting a cutaway; but if the T sounds much better than the regular one, I can do without.
I know that the T is closer to a classic Martin sound. I already have a couple of nice Martins, so I don't necessarily need the classic vintage sound. I would be using this guitar as a fingerpicker and strummer of course, but also for Americana style jazz guitar like Metheny or Lage. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
OK, so I'm looking to get a Collings OM1 guitar and I haven't been able to compare these back to back. What is the general difference in sound and playability to any of you that have compared both? I'm interested in getting a cutaway; but if the T sounds much better than the regular one, I can do without.
I know that the T is closer to a classic Martin sound. I already have a couple of nice Martins, so I don't necessarily need the classic vintage sound. I would be using this guitar as a fingerpicker and strummer of course, but also for Americana style jazz guitar like Metheny or Lage. Thanks for any help.
Personally, I have limited experience with the new Ts, but to me there is not a meaningful deviation from the typical Collings sound. The Ts do NOT sound any closer to the traditional Martin tone any more than the regular line does (not) sound anything like a Martin. Collings have a very direct, in-your-face, piano like tone. They excel at flatpicking and fingerstyle, not so much for strumming. I had 3 in my stash at one point... including an awesome 2011 OM1 Sitka/Hog with Adi bracing. Strumming a Collings was like nails on a chalkboard irritating because they were so strident sounding for that duty. You could hear every string. Ideally, you'd want something warm...that blends and harmonizes for strumming, that sounds like multiple guitars playing, particularly as a solo performer.

Playability wise, Collings guitars cannot be played loosey goosey. They demand your very best fingering technique at all times to sound their best. I enjoyed having them in my collection, and the 3 year run I had with the brand, but they're gone now.

All the best in your search.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-29-2018, 08:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Duane. It looks like you’re in LA/OC? You might drive to Laguna Beach and visit the Guitar Shoppe - last I was there, they had a Collings OM1-T. I’ll have to disagree (only slightly) with Brencat above, in that it did sound to me a bit more Martin-like than previous OM1’s that I’ve played, but my experience there is much more limited than his. I will say that it is a very nice guitar. They also had an OM2-AT which I liked even more.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:50 AM

I have a OM2h ss vn (24.9 scale) and an OM2h T and have played quite a few regular OM2h guitars.

Although we're talking rosewood instruments here, I think the same differences could be applied to the mahogany guitars...

To my ear the Traditional sound is much more 'open' and dynamic for starters - yes we're talking different scale lengths but my Traditional has way more volume if I want it than my other Collings, and that volume isn't just in the treble and mids, the bass can get going a lot too.

I would describe the Traditional as being a little 'drier' as well - although it still has the characteristic Collings 'chime' (by which I mean high overtones in the mid and treble range) I think the 'edges' are rounded off a little.

It's hard to describe to be honest with you as it is quite subtle in some ways but also obvious when you're playing, but the Traditional voicing has a bit more depth and is a bit more 'grounded', if that makes sense?

They are a lot lighter than the standard Collings and, because of this, it definitely feels like the sound is coming from the whole guitar, not just the top.

They are still Collings guitars and have the Collings sound (which I think can be described as more fundamental in the bass and low mids, and more overtones in the high mids and trebles, which is kind of the opposite to the Martin tone) but it's a different take on it - a little less ringy in the mids, a bit more bass emphasis, slightly drier trebles.

I love mine, and it's really made me appreciate my other Collings as well. The build quality is incredible and it feels really great to play.

Having said that I think there is some truth in the comments that say you can't be sloppy, if you're a bit off the guitar says 'is that it?' but when I'm playing my best I feel like the guitar is pulling something out of me that I didn't know I had! I had this experience when I first bought my OM28v, which was miles ahead of my previous guitar, and I'm having it again with this Traditional which makes me think it is further on down the tone road again compared to the Martin (which I still love).
Old 05-30-2018, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

I’ve owned 4 Collings and still own 2 that I’ve owned for over 4 years. I’ve also played and owned many Martins of many forms. I’ve played a variety of Collings besides the ones I’ve owned and quite a few Collings-T guitars and have developed some fairly settled opinions. I have never found that the T-models offered anything significant to the Collings tone that made me think I needed to add a T to my guitar collection. They sound unmistakably like Collings. The T’s neck, heft and overall feel are slightly different, but again, not miles apart. Collings has a signature sound that is balanced, clear, richly complex and very agreeable for my taste. I also find Collings guitars to be the easiest guitars to play in my entire collection.

As far as the ongoing comparison to the “Martin” sound, they are not close — thankfully. This is not a knock on Martin. It’s simply represents my thinking that there are altready Martin guitars with their own signature sound for people who like what Martin has to offer. I would never go looking for a particular Martin guitar with the hope or expectatation that it will sound more like a Collings. They both have their own sound, feel and attributes. They are all good, but they are very different. Try them if you are not familiar with them.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I’ve owned 4 Collings and still own 2 that I’ve owned for over 4 years. I’ve also played and owned many Martins of many forms. I’ve played a variety of Collings besides the ones I’ve owned and quite a few Collings-T guitars and have developed some fairly settled opinions. I have never found that the T-models offered anything significant to the Collings tone that made me think I needed to add a T to my guitar collection. They sound unmistakably like Collings. The T’s neck, heft and overall feel are slightly different, but again, not miles apart. Collings has a signature sound that is balanced, clear, richly complex and very agreeable for my taste. I also find Collings guitars to be the easiest guitars to play in my entire collection.

As far as the ongoing comparison to the “Martin” sound, they are not close — thankfully. This is not a knock on Martin. It’s simply represents my thinking that there are altready Martin guitars with their own signature sound for people who like what Martin has to offer. I would never go looking for a particular Martin guitar with the hope or expectatation that it will sound more like a Collings. They both have their own sound, feel and attributes. They are all good, but they are very different. Try them if you are not familiar with them.
Agreed with the above. The T’s to my ears, do not bring enough difference for me to move away from the standard Collings builds, plus the neck profile on the T’s is not quite right for me.

In my opinion, the OM1 is one of the best Collings has to offer. Play it a lot and once it has some time on it, it shines in all its goodness.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I have one of the modified OM1As that were essentially prototypes for the T series. I played it back-to-back with a standard OM1A for an extended time, going back and forth between the two, and decided I wanted the one that was a T prototype (although this was before the T existed, so I wasn't aware of it being a prototype; just a special model). Its sound just had a little bit something extra. But honestly, unless you played them back-to-back I think the difference would go largely unnoticed. But it was fuller sounding with more complexity to the tone. It still was much more a Collings than a Martin or anything else but it did have a slightly different tone signature than the standard OM1A (which, in turn, sounded different from the OM1). But it had a richness that I kept returning to and decided I really liked.

I definitely preferred its sound but wrestled with whether I preferred it enough to spend the added amount it would cost. In the end, I'm glad I did but, honestly, the regular OM1A was also a very good guitar. I think most players would be very happy with either. Also, although this guitar was one of about 5 prototypes that Collings made and distributed through their "favorite" dealers (I got mine at the Music Emporium in Massachusetts, which is their #1 dealer, I believe), I can't say how similar it is to the T models that eventually appeared. There may have been some additional changes or not. I don't know.

If you really want the cutaway, I'm guessing that foregoing the T won't leave you terribly disappointed. On the other hand, as I said, I don't regret having spent more for the enhanced OM1A that I have. But it's all personal preference, really.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion