The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I haven’t done this but can easily understand it. The closest that I’ve come is putting a guitar on consignment and then finally deciding to get the guitar back and being really happy that it didn’t sell.
If the guitar had sold and it came back on the market, I would’ve probably repurchased it. Sometimes you don’t realize what you have until you let go of it.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2024, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

My example is a Collings DS1 I sold 20'ish years ago, and I post every relevant chance I get---still searching.
I'd buy it back in a heartbeat IF I could find it.
It was sold in Houston, I've tried emails to the guy that bought it, but no response...probably long gone, but I think about it often.
Not a rare guitar, just one I'd like back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I haven’t done this but can easily understand it. The closest that I’ve come is putting a guitar on consignment and then finally deciding to get the guitar back and being really happy that it didn’t sell.
If the guitar had sold and it came back on the market, I would’ve probably repurchased it. Sometimes you don’t realize what you have until you let go of it.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've just completed a deal to repurchase a guitar I'd previously owned. Have others done this or am I unique in this regard???
Curious as to whether you (and others here) are talking about buying the exact same model guitar you once owned and sold or buying the exact same guitar you used to own and sold. I've definitely done the first one several times. I've owned two Martin 000-28EC guitars. I've owned two Santa Cruz 1929 00's. I've also owned two Emerald X20's and two Emerald X7's. I've owned two Journey OF660's. I've also owned three RainSong OM Shorty's. Now that I look back at this list, it's funny how the majority were mostly carbon fiber.

As for the latter, I have never re-bought the exact same guitar I used to own but I've come close once and would do so in a heartbeat with another one if it ever showed up. I almost re-bought the Martin 00-18VS UMGF Ambertone I once owned when it showed back up here on AGF but in the end I did not as I knew it would not last even though it was an outstanding guitar. Then there is the Martin 000-18GE Custom Ambertone that I let go that is probably the one guitar that I would definitely buy back in a heartbeat.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I did it with a 00015SM. Not the exact guitar but same model. I won't make that mistake again. At least not with that guitar.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-21-2024, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

A fabulous J45 TV went back and forth between me and fellow AGF restless guitar wanderer Sal a couple of times. Great guitar but has a new owner now ... we both had new horizons to explore

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-21-2024, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi RP…

We probably should not confuse 'shared experiences ' in this group with 'normal'…(just sayin').
I'll take any semblance of normalcy any way I can reasonably get it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I did it with a 00015SM. Not the exact guitar but same model. I won't make that mistake again. At least not with that guitar.
Ditto. I can't imagine why I thought that my previous 000-15sm was not a keeper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Curious as to whether you (and others here) are talking about buying the exact same model guitar you once owned and sold or buying the exact same guitar you used to own and sold...
I've done it both ways...
Old 03-21-2024, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I have bought two 000 18s, just not the exact same guitars. And I’ve owned two identical Les Paul Jrs. I swapped one for a 61 SG special. But a couple years later I swapped the SG for another Les Paul Jr.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-21-2024, 12:55 PM

I haven't but am seriously considering it now. A year or so back I sold my Guild X170 archtop in order to fund a D55, now the purchaser has it up for sale and I'm on the fence. I never played it as much as I do the D55, and I have two other archtops, so it probably still wouldn't get played all that much, so I'm holding out!
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I have never bought back anything that I have sold. Mostly because once I decided to part ways with it, any emotional attachment I had with the guitar was already over. I have sold some great guitars that would be nice to get back, but I could get a different L-4 CES (as an example) and be just as happy as I would be to get the original one back.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Sure did. I bought a very early Bedell '64 dread back . . . . twice. It was an early model when they were still using nitro and Bend, Oregon built when they were still sporting the cool and groovy peace-sign logo. Oh...then I ended up eventually selling it AGAIN. Pavlov's dogs learn faster than I do!

I do, however, have a pretty spectacular Bedell folk dread in its place. So all is not lost.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 03-21-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I have never bought back anything that I have sold. Mostly because once I decided to part ways with it, any emotional attachment I had with the guitar was already over. I have sold some great guitars that would be nice to get back, but I could get a different L-4 CES (as an example) and be just as happy as I would be to get the original one back.
To be clear, for me it's anything but an emotional attachment. It's more like realizing that a particular guitar met my musical needs...
Old 03-21-2024, 02:51 PM

Worse, I bought a guitar and then realized after it was delivered that I currently already owned one.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Easily avoided by never sell anything ever.
This is me.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
Worse, I bought a guitar and then realized after it was delivered that I currently already owned one.
You're right. That is worse....
Old 03-21-2024, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post

I think you just won the thread.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion