The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Stunning!! I want just like this one 😍
Kenny, thank you! I'm pretty sure that Ben would love to make one for you. He's pretty flexible in that area

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Very pretty. Every detail is well thought out and executed and, well, just pretty.
Thanks John for following along and the kind comments. I really respect builders who make positive comments on other builders' work...I call that Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mike, the shape of this guitar is awesome! I love the bevel; it looks only large enough to add comfort on the forearm, not overly large as to be intrusive into the top area. The sheer darkness of the back is elegant and classy. I can't wait to hear the video, Ben is a great player, so the demo should be stellar. Congrats on another beauty! I'm looking forward to seeing what Ben brings to Woodstock this year.
Thanks Mike. I agree with you on the bevel...I like a smaller bevel just for comfort. I've seen all too many that are just too intrusive on the top and make the guitar look misshapen. Regarding Woodstock, Ben tells me that it is an "every other year" thing by Woodstock rules, so he won't be there this year. Hopefully something changes on that because he certainly deserves to be there and lots of people should play his guitars! He brings a lot to the venue with his cool guitars AND he's a fair player too ha! (...and if he's a fair player, I've never touched a guitar before )

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 07-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Well, the guitar that Ben has so lovingly named "The Blackbird" is headed my way soon. Ben sent me these pictures and I gotta say that I am really looking forward to this one. I wanted the body just a touch deeper than his "normal" EllieBelle, and from his description, I think Ben achieved the result that I was hoping for.

The strings went on for the first time yesterday. His description of the tone is "It's amazing. As you anticipated, the bass is more pronounced, and it sounds more growly than my usual EllieBelle. The Blackwood just sustains forever. It's got a ton of sparkle and complexity. I love love love the tone." Then he added..."this guitar kicks A**" He said he'll make a video of it in the coming days and I'll certainly share that here as well.

Congratulations, Mike! Of all the many builds you've shown us on the AGF, I think this one is the prettiest (to me), and the one I most covet. Dad's Sitka is awesome.

Jamie
Old 07-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Congratulations, Mike! Of all the many builds you've shown us on the AGF, I think this one is the prettiest (to me), and the one I most covet. Dad's Sitka is awesome.

Jamie
Jamie, Thank you! I really like the guitar also. It is interesting to get a new guitar that actually looks old lol. That Sitka was a decision I left up to Ben. Truthfully I'm SUCH a fan of Englemann because I like pure white tops. But, I told Ben that I wanted this one to really sing and he thought the old Sitka was the ticket and so here we are!! And with that all said, I can honestly say I'm excited about getting this guitar even though I thought I wanted pure white. And the fact is, I HAVE a guitar that was completed recently with a pure white top; this one will surely be a nice compliment to my meager guitar collection. Ben tells me that Dad's old Sitka rings like a bell, and certainly that is the most important element to me...tone, tone, tone.

So yes, Dad's Sitka IS awesome!! Can't wait to hear Ben's video and hear the Blackbird sing

Old 07-30-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Wow--that sitka top looks incredible! The dark streaking in the center really adds a cool vibe to the overall guitar.

Coco binding is also one of my favorite looks on a dark BRW back and sides.

I'm not normally a bling guy with all the abalone, but it really shines and looks great on this guitar.

Congrats, Mike--can not wait to hear this one sing!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Smile Woohoo and hooray

Way to go gentlemen!

Mighty classy axe and I am sure it will knock yer sox off!

Have fun Mike...

And play in great health and high spirits too

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM

That is one of the prettiest, classiest, sharpest guitars I have seen in a long time. I bet the sound will be out of this world. I saw this when it was in pieces laying on a table, it has come a long way since then in a short time!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

this has to be the most clean and classy build I've ever looked at.

in the pictures, notice how clean the shop background is. absolute beautiful guitar and the lines and curves are just perfect.

d
Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The Lazy Eights

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Such precise craftsmanship! This guitar does exhibit some bling, but I guess when you put diamonds in the right places, you get a classy beautiful guitar.

With my next comments, I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I feel compelled.... I first met Ben in Santa Barbara a couple of years ago (No pressure Ben, I’m sure you don’t remember me). He looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. As you know, he hails from Reno, NV. I grew up in nearby Carson City and went to college at Nevada (Reno). Perhaps his familiarity was my geographic imagination. Well a few threads ago, I had read about how Ben is a gifted guitar player. At that time I thought... “wow, I remember seeing this band in Reno called The Lazy Eights, and Ben kind of looks the fiddle player”. Mind you, I only saw the band once or twice, but at the time, they were gaining local notoriety. Anyhow, a couple of days ago I was going through some old CD’s to put on my iPod and I came across my The Lazy Eights CD that I literally forgot I ever bought.

Again, Mike and Ben, sorry for the interruption of this wonderful build, but hopefully this gives you all a smile[emoji16].
HA! You found me out. The 8's were a fun experience for me, but my bedtime hours are a lot more pleasant now.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

in the pictures, notice how clean the shop background is. absolute beautiful guitar and the lines and curves are just perfect.

d
Thank you, Daryl.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--that sitka top looks incredible! The dark streaking in the center really adds a cool vibe to the overall guitar.

I'm not normally a bling guy with all the abalone, but it really shines and looks great on this guitar.

Thanks. That wood has been cut and sitting in various shops here in Reno since the early 70's. The wood has gotten oxidized, which gives it, well, that old guitar look. Also, fortunately for me, it started out as good stuff to begin with. I'm down to about a dozen sets, and I will be a sad luthier the day they are all gone!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Way to go gentlemen!

Have fun Mike...

Paul
Paul, I (and everyone else) can always count on you for an encouraging word. Thank you for your friendship, our "kinnaird brotherhood" () and most certainly thank you for the kind words on this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post

This is the first guitar I've had built with Coco binding. Been wanting one for the longest time. Some of the most beautiful guitars I've seen have coco binding, and now I have one too. Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That is one of the prettiest, classiest, sharpest guitars I have seen in a long time. I bet the sound will be out of this world. I saw this when it was in pieces laying on a table, it has come a long way since then in a short time!
Tom you're the everywhere guy...from reading some of your posts, it seems you are visiting luthiers all over the world and seeing most of the guitars. Personally I'm amazed at how connected you are and how mobile. I thought Santa was the only one who could be so many places in such a short time lol. I'm sure Ben appreciates your kind words about his build, and I thank you for introducing me to Ben. He's been great to work with at every level...a class act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

d
Daryl, great to hear from an old friend. Its about time for you to jump into this custom scene...or possibly you already have and I missed it. Whatever the case, thanks for the encouraging words.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Way to go gentlemen!

Have fun Mike...

Paul
Thanks Paul!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah! Let's do it. Now that I got all the kinks worked out on Mike's....
Old 08-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Fantastic looking guitar Ben and Mike! Anxious to see another "Demo" by Ben.

Mike, it looks like I need to head south and check out a guitar or two and maybe get in a round of golf
Travis
Old 08-01-2018, 01:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=TEK;5797798]Fantastic looking guitar Ben and Mike! Anxious to see another "Demo" by Ben.

Thanks, Travis. I'll be making a demo in a couple of days on my FB page, and YouTube channel. We'll let the forum know..
Ben

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop