The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 PM

Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. Since the early 80s for me.

On so many levels, I didn’t realize how great I had it during my undergrad at Michigan State.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Maury’s Music gets my vote. Excellent customer service and pricing. They are also great for any non local looking for online guitar sales
Cordoba Uke
Old 08-04-2020, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
For me, it’s Music Outlet in Sevierville, TN.
Since moving to WNC the music outlet has become the new go to shop for me when looking to try a few guitars. Ordered a custom Martin from them before the lock down hit. When the Martin factory closed they offered to refund my deposit but I opted to wait the extra 10-12 months. Great folks at this store
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-04-2020, 11:24 PM

Peach Guitars, Colchester, England. Wonderful, helpful place. Looks like a factory.

But it isn't! !

Lots of smaller town music shops in the UK have closed down in the last few years. My one in Boston Lincolnshire where I used to live has kept going but most of the large producers will no longer supply it wholesale because it's too small and has insufficient sales volume. Boston is a market town of about 70 thousand people in a very agricultural area and is quite isolated (by UK standards).

Last edited by David Rance; 08-04-2020 at 11:33 PM. Reason: .to add to
Old 08-05-2020, 12:07 AM

New Acoustic Gallery
Wuppertal, Germany

There are a couple in Germany and the Neatherlands that I like, NAG is my favorite.

My first "real" guitar did come from Mass Street Music though (Guild D-15 about 1990), and a still morn it's loss (stolen). A great store, just a wee bit far for me to drive ;-)

Various stringed instruments
Old 08-05-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I’m fortunate to have my favorite and arguably the largest single family owned music store in the country about 15 minutes away from my home, Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center:

https://chucklevins.com/

Their slogan at Chuck’s is “everything at music”, and they aren’t kidding. They are likely not a top 5 selling Taylor/Martin/Gibson dealer, but I’m sure they are in the top 15. But they are also likely no lower than top 15 for every other brand you’ve heard of. Their acoustic guitar collection is impressive but dwarfed by an even bigger selection of electrics and basses and amps. As impressive as this is alone, I doubt all guitar related gear is more than 30% of their aggregate inventory. They are also one of the top dealers in drums, synthesizers, lighting, and band/orchestra. Everything from a $200 trumpet to handmade tubas starting at $12,000, violas, cellos, oboes, etc. And they have accessories to go with everything. I’ve never seen another shop like it - they are a general music megastore.

I bought my very first nice instrument, a Bach trombone, from the original Mr. Levin back in the mid-80s. The family is faithfully carrying on the business just like he always did.

I’ve bought a couple of guitars from a couple of the larger retailers who do lots of YouTube videos like Alamo and Empire who were great to deal with, but Chuck’s has always been my favorite. For guitars, Pete and Paul will take good care of you.
Martin Backpacker
Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 AM

The Music Emporium, and I say this as a New Yorker. Their service makes it feel like I'm dealing with a local, they were especially clutch during the COVID
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. Since the early 80s for me.

On so many levels, I didn’t realize how great I had it during my undergrad at Michigan State.
+1 for Elderly. What a great place.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, CA
Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI
Plenty of other good stores all over the U.S. The above two stand out for me.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:50 AM

If you ever find yourself in Asbury Park, NJ Russo's Music has a nice acoustic room.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-05-2020, 08:58 AM

Gryphon in Palo Alto, CA.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:00 AM

Where ever I can stumble upon a good price for a guitar I get interested in and serious enough about to look for it.
Recently it happened to be the big box Guitar Store in Los Angles that marked down by 33% a 1963 CF Martin D-18 in good condition. Apparently I happened to see it just on the day it was discounted.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

That is a tough one as I am lucky to live in an area where there are some great guitar stores. I always enjoy a good road trip so driving a couple of hours to go to Gryphon's or Mighty Fine Guitars is always a treat. And, Schoenberg's in Tiburon is a long-standing favorite of mine. Then there's Tall Toad that is just on the other side of town from my home. It has probably become my favorite over the years as I have spent the most time there and have always been treated well as a customer. You just can't beat having a neighborhood guitar store with knowledgeable and friendly staff people to hang with and play and yammer about guitars!

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-05-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance View Post
Peach Guitars, Colchester, England. Wonderful, helpful place. Looks like a factory.

But it isn't! !

Lots of smaller town music shops in the UK have closed down in the last few years. My one in Boston Lincolnshire where I used to live has kept going but most of the large producers will no longer supply it wholesale because it's too small and has insufficient sales volume. Boston is a market town of about 70 thousand people in a very agricultural area and is quite isolated (by UK standards).
Yes, quite different to where they were in Braintree. Lovely western theme, got to be one of the best stores in the UK now.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I have so much fun when I go here, I'd probably go even
if you had to buy tickets...

https://acousticcellarguitars.com/

Is The Music Outlet in Sevierville or Western NC?

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion