The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default What's your "ungassed" list?

Years ago I had a major gas attack for a Martin D-35 but it was out of budget at the time. Thankfully my wife surprised me with a D-16GT and I survived.

Then I had wanted one of those arch topped Century guitars. I finally was able to play one... Cured that fast.

More recently I had a severe case for a Waterloo, but the more I listened the more I realized that they were a one horse show (IMO). I still play bluesy things from time to time, but my J-45 fills the need quite well.

What's your list of guitars you wished you had but somehow lived without?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

A few years back, I was gassing for a Collings C-10. I played a bunch of them in different tone wood combos but none of them floated my boat completely. I played some Collings OMs and the same thing - loved the idea of owning and playing one better than the reality of it. I guess they just didn't quite fit with what I wanted to hear in terms of tone and feel. GAS cured. I appreciate Collings as a fine brand - just discovered that they were not the guitar for me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 AM

A really nice acoustic nylon string/classical.

I've almost done it a bunch of times, but the truth is, I like the way my Godin Grand Concert plays so much, I don't have the technique to really make a "regular" classical sing, and if I'm gigging a nylon string, I'm probably plugging in anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-24-2019, 10:55 AM

I played a Wee Louden a few weeks ago. Huge mistake, for which I'm still gassing. It may even take the place of the Halcyon 00 I've been gassing about for several years. Or not.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:02 AM

Right now it's a Taylor K series guitar. For several years I had felt it was the natural progression and that I would certainly end up with one. A few weeks ago I played one in my local shop and, while it was very nice (and the best looking by far), I didn't feel it exceeded any of the Alvarez Yairi or Masterwork options I played at the same time. If someone had given me 4K and said buy whatever you want and keep the rest, I wouldn't have left with the K24. I'm not striking it off my list, but I'm definitely not as focused on acquiring one any time soon.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:30 AM

I'd like a nice Froggy - which is to say I'd like a Froggy. A 12 fret 00 in Mahogany would be nice (maybe a SC).

Used would be just fine, but there is a good chance I'm done shopping.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-24-2019, 11:31 AM

All kinds of vintage and semi-modern Gibson acoustic archtops, which used to be my obsession.

After I managed to acquire a 16" post-Loar dot neck L-5, which is a fabulous instrument in every way with a price to match, pretty much nothing else in this category makes an impression on me. This includes all the fancy models such as the Citation, and even the glorious 18" Super 400 non-cutaway that I've also owned for a bunch of years.

My 16" L-5 has plenty of nicks and a couple of repaired cracks, but when I play it I realize there's no improving on its sound and feel.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Back in 1999, I finally was able to but the 12 string of my dreams: a Guild F-512. It sounded awesome, even smelled good.

But two weeks in, the bridge started pulling up. Then I found out that Guild's workmanship and quality had become spotty. Sure enough, looked inside and there were oozing glue drips everywhere. So I had to decide whether or not to fix it, and hope for no other surprises, or return it.

Musician's Friend took it back for a full refund.
(and a couple of banjos, autoharp, recorders...)
Old 09-24-2019, 11:49 AM

For a while I thought I needed an archtop acoustic, something fine like the Eastman 805, but...

wait..now that you've brought it up, I still GAS for one of those.

Thanks a lot for reminding me, Barry!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:53 AM

For me it is a 335 or similar. I wanted one for years and briefly owned one. Took me about half an hour to put it in the case and return it. It just didn't sound or behave like I thought it would for me.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:54 AM

A pre-'69 Martin D12-35. That's the one that really got me into the 12 string sound. The neck on my Taylor feels and plays better; the sound of my Bischoff is bigger and my RainSong is more practical; but the buttery tone of the Martin I played so many years ago still calls out to me.
RainSong WS3000 (2007)
MLJ Acoustics OM-12 - bubinga/carpathian (2012)
Composite Acoustics GX HG (2013)
Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
For me it is a 335 or similar. I wanted one for years and briefly owned one. Took me about half an hour to put it in the case and return it. It just didn't sound or behave like I thought it would for me.
There's something wrong with you.

Just kidding, of course.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:00 PM

I have two.
First a Martin D-45 and second a Guild F512-12 string.

I have a wonderful Martin D-35 that fills the want for the D-45 and a nice Crafter 12 string that is easier to play than the Guild, so I'm very happy with what I have.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

For the longest time, I wanted a Martin 00-18v. I loved the simplistic look, the soft v neck carve, short scale, and vintage long saddle. Then I played a few and despite the better than average bass response, at the end of the day, it remains a small guitar and the sound is borderline boxy.

I've had plenty of opportunities to buy one, including the venerable Podium 00-18v custom with the Engelmann top and all hide glue construction.

Years later, I now own one of the 96 000-18 Authentics and I have everything I've ever wanted in a small bodied guitar, including the warmth and big bass that was missing in pretty much every non-dread I've played or owned (with the exception of the Goodall TROM). Sometimes procrastination works out!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Musical minimalist

Doerr, Steve Kinnaird, Petros.

I would have really liked to own all of these, but my buying days are over, so the reality has gone down the tubes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion