The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default My first Blue Chip Pick incoming

Although I found it hard to justify spending $40 on a pick, the glowing reviews and videos for Blue Chip Picks were pretty convincing, so I decided to order one last night. I went with a TAD50. While I'm sure it won't make me a better player (still looking for that shortcut) I'm hoping it beefs up my tone a bit.

More to follow once I try it out.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I just yesterday received a TAD40 and TAD50 with round bevels. I haven't played with them enough to offer any detailed impressions other than they feel great in my fingers without wanting to squirm around when strumming and a lighter touch is needed compared to say a Gibson medium celluloid.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 01-27-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I love them. I've been able to get most of mine used. My current favorites are:

TP50
TP55-1R
TP60-1R
TAD60-1R
Old 01-27-2021, 01:41 PM

Hmmm...does one lose a $40 pick nearly as fast as one loses a 25 cent pick?

Asking for a friend.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:14 PM

Default Keeping picks safer

I use a pick holder that attaches to my key chain. It’s great and I haven’t lost a pick yet and always have it with me. Cheap investment to keep my blue chip pick.

Terryd913
Old 01-27-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post

Asking for a friend.
This is what keeps me up at night
Old 01-27-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Asking for a friend.
Ha! Definitely not! Its like pens. I would lose 5 Bics every day in the hospital. I got a Mont Blanc and have had it for 15 years. You pay closer attention!

All bets are off if you play outside. Those BC picks blend into terra firma like you wouldnt believe! Wish they came in red or yellow...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-27-2021, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

You will notice right away the improvement in tone of your guitar, plus improved grip and feel. Wonderful material.

scott memmer
Old 01-27-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I used to be in sales. I'd lose pens all the time. I was given a gold plated Cross. Never lost that one. BC picks is the same deal. How many hundred dollar bills have you lost?

After you play that BC for a while, try a casien Charmed Life. Every bit as good in an entirely different way.

And trust what you feel and hear. There are those that go back to cheap picks. That's OK. Bewildering to me, but OK.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-27-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Asking for a friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
This is what keeps me up at night
I'm one of those guys that used to say that people who spend $40 on a guitar pick are idiots. I now own 4. In my defense I only bought one new and three used. But still.

I have never lost one. They stay in their pick holder on the mic stand or in a small leather pouch for transporting.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:57 PM

I have at least 15 Blue Chip picks, never lost one. They do blend in to a surprising number of colors though, so try not to drop them. Our living room rug hides them well, and it's mostly a fairly bright red. Grass and dirt make it difficult too, as does a black stage floor. Blue Chip Brown might be the best camouflage color out there!

I found that the TAD picks were a little too big for me, but the TP size is perfect for my hands. I have a few TAD and TP picks in thicknesses I don't typically use, but I sent back the TD and CT picks I tried, they really didn't do it for me.

I think you'll like your new pick! It's not going to make you play significantly better, but it'll sound great, feel great, and last forever. Let us know what you think once you've spent some time with it.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
...try a casien Charmed Life. Every bit as good in an entirely different way.
Thanks for the advice, done.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 01-27-2021, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
I went with a TAD50. While I'm sure it won't make me a better player (still looking for that shortcut) I'm hoping it beefs up my tone a bit.
You might be pleasantly surprised. Of course it depends on your definition of "better". But little things can lead to other little things and on and on....

Pay attention to those little details as you get to know your new pick.

Like others have posted, I've not lost an expensive pick in 20 years. I started off with one made of walrus tusk ~20 years ago and I still have it. I've got boutique picks of camel bone, Ram's horn, Charmed Life casein (2), and a BC. These are things you just pay more attention to than the nickel ones.

If you have the financial means, try a couple others e.g. a Ch Life or the new pick maker now on AGF. Or both. I like my BC but I find my CL is equal but in a different tonal way. I actually use the CL more.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-27-2021, 06:52 PM

Congratulations on the pick order. While all players hear/feel things differently, I'm confident you'll notice a difference pretty easily.

I was extremely skeptical when I placed my first order with Charmed Life Picks. But I figured, I'd spent high $$$ on guitars, if this were a bum order, I'd only be out $40 (I actually think I got it on blem or sale price, so it was like $35).

Now I own three (the Blonde I first ordered, a brown vespel, and a turquoise casein). And two more are on the way (flamed and blue casein). There is something about the older casein used in the non-tortoise models that gives a much different (in a good way) tone than the D'addario and John Pearse caseins I have in my arsenal. Those *used to be* my go-to picks. Now I rotate between my three CLPs and likely will rotate between the 5 CLPs once the other two arrive.

The fun is experimenting which guitar and strings pair best with which pick. And often it's not just a one-to-one match, but certain songs on certain guitars sound better with the vespel, for example, because it has less initial bite, while others call for the flamed caseins or The Blonde.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 01-27-2021, 08:46 PM

I have a few and the TP48 is my favorite. Vespel is my favorite pick material by far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion