The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-09-2024, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

This…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlhunt View Post
Ryan has created the video of Steve playing the guitar! I am so happy with how it sounds and it was only strung up for one day at the time of this video! I can't wait to hear what happens over the next several months of playing it. Thanks Steve for playing the song, so I can compare it to your three test builds! I absolutely love this guitar! What a great reward after a fun guitar building class that Ryan and Steve put on! I recommend anyone who is interested, you should definitely take the class!

Old 02-09-2024, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
This…

Yes…yes…I CAN see the similarity. Thanks Bob!

And thanks to everyone for the very kind comments, they are greatly appreciated. But Tom—stay away from the trash bin!!!!

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-09-2024, 08:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, that sounds great...mine is going in the trash heap tonight! What sustain and beautiful tone.

Congrats to Jim, Ryan, and Steve for a stunning guitar is looks and sound.
Tom, don't you do anything to that beautiful walnut guitar! I do think that this figured Mahogany guitar reached the 75% mark of yours so I think it's a keeper and it sounds awesome!
Old 02-09-2024, 08:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
This…

I'm glad Steve knew what that is!!!!! My first thoughts went down a far different path to a pile of something else! LOL!!!

I didn't want to associate my guitar that way!!! Fortunately it is only Plum Pudding and also looks like Christmas fruit cake. I think I'll have to switch to just calling it "figured Mahogany" after all these bad visuals!!!!
Old 02-09-2024, 08:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
wow,wow,wow,wow...a masterpiece
Thanks Don!!
Old 02-10-2024, 12:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sound comparisons

Okay, here is a fun little test for you all. This video has three, as nearly identical OM guitars as possible, with three different back and side woods. One of them is Mahogany, one is Maple, and one is Rosewood. The video is a blind test where Steve plays the same little tune on all three guitars.

The challenge is to try to decide which guitar is made with which back and side wood by sound alone. Please also listen to the same little tune on my Mahogany guitar (it starts at 4:47 on the video of my guitar) See which of the three test guitars my guitar sounds most like. Then make your guesses for what wood guitar number 1, 2, and 3 are.

After you have made your guesses, you can watch a non blind test that Steve and Ryan have on You Tube where you can see the guitars while they are played. Let me know how you did determining which guitar was which wood.

Please also give me some feedback on what you think of the sound of my new guitar in comparison to these three.

Thanks, Jim

Here is the link to the visual test just to make it easier to find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-joysMnDE5M

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-10-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:42 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlhunt View Post
Okay, here is a fun little test for you all. This video has three, as nearly identical OM guitars as possible, with three different back and side woods. One of them is Mahogany, one is Maple, and one is Rosewood. The video is a blind test where Steve plays the same little tune on all three guitars.

The challenge is to try to decide which guitar is made with which back and side wood by sound alone. Please also listen to the same little tune on my Mahogany guitar (it starts at 4:47 on the video of my guitar) See which of the three test guitars my guitar sounds most like. Then make your guesses for what wood guitar number 1, 2, and 3 are.

After you have made your guesses, you can watch a non blind test that Steve and Ryan have on You Tube where you can see the guitars while they are played. Let me know how you did determining which guitar was which wood.

Please also give me some feedback on what you think of the sound of my new guitar in comparison to these three.

Thanks, Jim

Very interesting! I took the "blind challenge" and I got the first one correct but switched the last two. Very good reminder that we all probably make too big of a deal about which wood we use and forget that Maple makes an incredible guitar when built correctly...maybe that was part of the point of this exercise? Pretty little tune too!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 02-10-2024, 09:17 AM

To my shock, I actually got them all correct although this was probably more due to luck I would suppose. The differences are subtle although I thought I heard enough to make the call, possibly I did.

Now going back to yours, I hear in that the same characteristics as the Mahogany in the blind test. I hear the same things, I think for being one day old when played, yours is very good and I see it morphing into the same quality as the one in the blind test. It is great.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Again, Jim, Steve and Ryan, spectacular guitar! Looking forward to seeing you and the guitar in September!
Old 02-11-2024, 01:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Very interesting! I took the "blind challenge" and I got the first one correct but switched the last two. Very good reminder that we all probably make too big of a deal about which wood we use and forget that Maple makes an incredible guitar when built correctly...maybe that was part of the point of this exercise? Pretty little tune too!
I couldn't the pick correct ones either! I agree that we probably do make to much of a deal about the back and side wood's contribution to the sound. I think the top is the greatest contributor and in the hands of a skilled luthier I have heard incredible sounding instruments from dozens of different back and side woods. I found in the blind test I particularly loved the sound of the maple guitar but all three sounded wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
To my shock, I actually got them all correct although this was probably more due to luck I would suppose. The differences are subtle although I thought I heard enough to make the call, possibly I did.

Now going back to yours, I hear in that the same characteristics as the Mahogany in the blind test. I hear the same things, I think for being one day old when played, yours is very good and I see it morphing into the same quality as the one in the blind test. It is great.
Congratulations Tom! From what Steve had told me very few were able to pick correctly and they did the original blind test in front of a group of luthiers!!! I agree with you I could hear much of the sounds of the mahogany guitar in the voice of my guitar. I am really pleased with the bass response of my guitar after only a day under string tension. I look forward to hearing it change as it gets played over the next few months. It will be fun to hear it in September and I hope to have you play it and give me your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Again, Jim, Steve and Ryan, spectacular guitar! Looking forward to seeing you and the guitar in September!
Thanks Dave, looking forward to seeing you as well and having you play this guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop