The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-08-2023, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Need advice on colors for Emerald X10 I'm ordering

I'm ordering an X10 with a Hyvibe pickup. I'm ordering a koa veneer that will look similar to this one (the veneer, not the guitar):
https://i.imgur.com/cllISWC.png

I'm debating on what color I should have for the back and sides. The black carbon will look good:
https://i.imgur.com/e8WzxFN.png

I'm not considering the amber, whether standard or vibrant. That leaves me with two choices. These photos are part of the koa guitar that looks like mine will, with the two different colors I'm considering on top of it, to show how it might look:
https://i.imgur.com/UabBpgM.png
https://i.imgur.com/hmjfI3f.png

I could just choose the black because that will look classy, but I really like those blues! Be honest, you guys . . . what do you suggest I do?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-2023, 05:23 AM

The Koa veneer is beautiful.

My preference with most veneer tops is Black back & sides by a huge margin.

Red or amber can also look good with some veneers such as Koa.

Neither of those blues combined with Koa look good to me. However, I do think Vibrant Blue or Vibrant Teal look great when selected for the entire guitar.

Congrats on whatever you decided, the X10 is a great guitar! I went with all black on mine and love it!

Last edited by dgaemc2; 11-09-2023 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Updated content
Old 11-09-2023, 09:52 AM

We have a koa veneer with amber back and sides, much like the one you posted, and that works fine. It is more of a dark root beer color in normal (non-studio) lighting. Black carbon would be nice and classy too. I also have Emeralds in plain amber, green, and red. Amber is the most wood-like in appearance, but green is my favorite. Green would not look good against koa however, IMO.

Since you nixed the amber, I like the plain blue (very dark Navy blue in real light, which you did not show), vibrant blue, and teal last in order. Those colors suggest the ocean off of Hawaii, where koa wood comes from.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, but the amber looks the best with that top. I find black works well with Royal Ebony. But that Koa top for me only works with the amber. The red might be okay. Anything else to me just looks awful, especially those last two bright colors. But it's going to be your guitar so go with what looks best for you.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I'd go with black or amber - I think amber, in particular, goes well with many of the veneer choices.

Both the blues look garish to me, even allowing for Emerald's somewhat vivid colour renditions.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

This is just what I'm needing, guys - thanks! Amber in and of itself is not a color I particularly like, which is why I didn't include it, but you know, it really does look nice with the koa, and you can see a koa edge on the guitar in my picture.

The blues seem to want to take a last stand . . . I superimposed a picture of the edge of a standard blue guitar onto the original koa guitar. What do you guys think:

https://imgur.com/gWwoWIY
Old 11-09-2023, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for black or amber. I have 4 Emeralds: 2 with the CF weave, and 2 with veneers. While mine aren't a koa veneer, they have similar tones; one has black back and sides, the other has a vibrant amber. Both look just fine with the pau fero and louro preto veneers. I wasn't sure about the vibrant amber with the pau fero, but it is a good match up. If you don't go with the vibrant weave, the standard amber will be quite subdued until/unless you hit it with a lot of light (not likely on the back and sides).

Black would be my first choice, amber a close second. Blue or teal wouldn't even make the list for me - too "disjointed" for my tastes. I've seen quite a few with the blue and teal come through recently on the weekly shipping videos. It may be a style choice just because you can (thanks to the 3D builder). But on a classy koa veneer, I think the guitar would be much better in the long run with a color choice that compliments what is there in the wood.

Good luck with the decision.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 11-09-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:30 PM

Bluebird Jo

Not liking blue at all with Koa, but if you like it that's all that matters.

Last edited by dgaemc2; 11-09-2023 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-09-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
Not liking blue at all with Koa, but if you like it that's all that matters.
^^ Ditto... There is what appeals to you, and what will turn off potential buyers if you ever move it along later. Blue with koa would be a lot like a guitar with your initials inlaid on the fretboard. It might kill the appeal of an interested buyer down the road. And I have learned that there is no such thing as a "lifetime" guitar. I've sold three already that once wore that label.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

I have a cocobolo over amber X30. I think this works well and I get many compliments (about the guitar rather than my playing) when I play out. If I wanted a more vibrant color on the back and sides I would probably go for a shaded quilted maple or similar. The brown tone woods with vibrant colors don’t do it for me. But of course I’m me and you should go with whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:05 PM

Unless you know you're not going to be moving the Emerald along at some point, get what you like the best. But if you think you might at some point want to sell the guitar, I'd go with the black. It's not the amber (which you said you don't like) and it's generic enough that it will look great with the koa and would appeal to a wider range of potential buyers.

But in the end, it's your money and you should be happy with your new guitar.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I appreciate all your comments, and that you've been honest about your thoughts. I think I've been trying to have two things that can't be had together - a blue guitar and a great veneer guitar.

I'm going with the amber, and I'll like that color even beyond the fact that it'll look great with the koa.

Down the line, there just might be a beautiful blue or teal Virtuo in my hands.

Thanks a lot!!

Jo
Old 11-09-2023, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird Jo View Post
I appreciate all your comments, and that you've been honest about your thoughts. I think I've been trying to have two things that can't be had together - a blue guitar and a great veneer guitar.

I'm going with the amber, and I'll like that color even beyond the fact that it'll look great with the koa.

Down the line, there just might be a beautiful blue or teal Virtuo in my hands.

Thanks a lot!!

Jo
I think you’ll be happy with that combo. Here’s a shot of my old X20-7 in normal light. Amber top, black back and sides. It’s a lovely warm shade, that will blend beautifully with that koa top.

Pictures, please, when it arrives!

IMG_4693.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 11-09-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:45 AM

Congrats on the decision and happy waiting! A second guitar with teal or blue makes sense, rather than trying to combine too many design elements in one instrument. Besides, you can't eat just one. It's a slippery slope. Resistance is futile, etc....
Old 11-10-2023, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I've owned several Emeralds with black back/sides and now own two (Amicus & X20-12) with amber back/sides. I really like the amber with the koa shown in the picture you linked. Unless your house is really bright, the amber comes off as very subdued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cllISWC.jpg (59.3 KB, 35 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber