The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-13-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
I have always thought of the term in relation to any open chord, primarily in first position. And it normally seems to be used in a non flattering way. And personally, I do not like the term and never, ever use the term. I think its a little silly to put some derogatory label on a fundamental element of guitar playing.

Sorry for the rant. That just happens to be one of my pet peeves. Dag nabbit.
I agree! I enjoy playing these chords, and most of my favorite tunes rotate around these chords. When I get into a discussion with another guitarist I don't really know, and he/she asks me what I like to play, I usually belittle myself with a little, "aw shucks, mostly cowboy-chord stuff".
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Do you think the term "Cowboy Chords" is a derogatory term?

Like, "All he plays is cowboy chords..." etc..

What is the definition of a Cowboy Chord? Just major chords or simple chords like G, C, D and A?

Do minor chords count?

If I barre a chord am I out of Cowboy Country?

Asking for a friend...
Hi jk-etc

Nope, not derogatory at all. When learning guitar, they are the foundation upon which learning simple progressions is built.

Depends on which cowboy you are referencing when it comes to barres. It's a description, not a set of rules. And I know plenty of cowboys who use Am and Em chords (and a shortcut fingering for Bm or F).

Thanks for the folk/jazz reminder…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-13-2019, 09:49 AM

I'd put in more in the class of "colorful expression" than clearly or universally derogatory. It means the most common chords in the first position, almost always including some open strings.

It derives from a hugely popular 20th century musical style, the singing cowboy. If you liked them (many did) it can be endearing, and it may mean to you "simple, relaxed nuthin' fancy playing." If you don't like them, or are a musical snob who believes that what's difficult and unusual is the same as what has merit, then yes, you can sneer when you say it.

Even if you don't know Gene Autry from Tex Ritter, when one hears a nice accompaniment with "cowboy chords" it may effectively work to draw you in to the song in a certain way, because we've all heard those chords, they have associations.

Objectively, they're neither good nor bad. I suppose one can make an objective argument that more players or everyone should learn and use other chord forms, but that makes it even a more useful term because you might need to say "no, don't voice that C to G up at the 7th fret, just play the cowboy chords..."

See also the common forms of the "three chord trick" where a song's harmonic cadence is uncomplicated and may even work because you know what the next chord will be. Just like a song with cowboy chords it may work quite well. All music works by combining the expected with the unexpected.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-13-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'd put in more in the class of "colorful expression" than clearly or universally derogatory. It means the most common chords in the first position, almost always including some open strings.

It derives from a hugely popular 20th century musical style, the singing cowboy. If you liked them (many did) it can be endearing, and it may mean to you "simple, relaxed nuthin' fancy playing." If you don't like them, or are a musical snob who believes that what's difficult and unusual is the same as what has merit, then yes, you can sneer when you say it.

Even if you don't know Gene Autry from Tex Ritter, when one hears a nice accompaniment with "cowboy chords" it may effectively work to draw you in to the song in a certain way, because we've all heard those chords, they have associations.

Objectively, they're neither good nor bad. I suppose one can make an objective argument that more players or everyone should learn and use other chord forms, but that makes it even a more useful term because you might need to say "no, don't voice that C to G up at the 7th fret, just play the cowboy chords..."

See also the common forms of the "three chord trick" where a song's harmonic cadence is uncomplicated and may even work because you know what the next chord will be. Just like a song with cowboy chords it may work quite well. All music works by combining the expected with the unexpected.
TEX RITTER? Well, that's when I woke up.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Are they exciting to play? Not really. (Unless they're Ranger Doug Cowboy Chords)

Have literally thousands of wonderful songs been written using them and only them? Absolutely.

It's ALL ABOUT serving the music. Sometimes a big old G chord--maybe the first chord you ever learned--is the RIGHT chord. And when it is, nothing else will do.

As for the folk/jazz joke, I always heard that one as rock/jazz. I consider the folkies to be kindred spirits to us jazz guys, in the sense of the group often outnumbering the audience

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Here is one fellow who puts cowboy chords to good use:

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 AM

While my repetoir is not limited to cowboy chords, I've gotta say that playing lower on the neck showcases the tone of my guitars, especially the Martins. There are certain players who think it's cool to spend their days entirely above the fifth fret, but some of those fellows end up being squeeky and anoying.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Do you think the term "Cowboy Chords" is a derogatory term?
Yes, it pretty much is intended to indicate absolute simplicity that can be done without ever having to move the left hand.

Quote:
Do minor chords count?

If I barre a chord am I out of Cowboy Country?
Minor chords count but barre chords don't. It pretty well implies open chords done within the first three frets.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 AM

I don't consider it derogatory, just shorthand to easily describe play using open strings and first position chord shapes. Lots of great music has been made this way. I would rather listen to great songs played well with cowboy chords than the other option.......
Old 11-13-2019, 10:52 AM

In my opinion, it's all about the song/music/sound. If simple sounds best why complicate it? On the other hand, if a chord in another position/inversion sounds better then play it.
On an acoustic guitar I try to use some open strings even when playing up the neck, for example, when playing in the key of E I'll generally use the "open chord concept" where I let the B and e strings ring open on every chord as I'm playing up the neck. These chords are just as simple as "cowboy chords" but they're all over the neck. Sometimes I'll have to use a barre chord though to get the more correct major or minor triad sound as opposed to having those open notes ring out.
It all comes down to what sounds and works best for you. Play what sounds good to you and makes you happy. Don't worry about "chord snobs"
Old 11-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I am a cowboy chord player. I wear it proudly. I don't care what anyone thinks about my playing. I'm happy where I'm at. I don't measure my own self worth as a guitar player (or anything else, for that matter) by what others think, say, feel or do. And THAT, my friends, is the key to happiness!
Old 11-13-2019, 11:15 AM

I’ve lived outside and around Philadelphia my entire life. I don’t have a 10 gallon hat or a six shooter and have never ridden a horse. Heck, I only like cows medium rare with a nice red.

Call ‘em what you will...I play ‘em, I love ‘em and so do the people I’m playing for! Cowboy on!
Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 AM

I personally have zero respect for any advanced player that in anyway demeans a lesser player.
How soon we forget.
Just remember, no matter how good you think you are, there are many more that laugh at you when you are not looking. If you think not, wake up.
I very clearly recall when I was 27 years old, I wanted to take up guitar from when I was younger. I went to a local music shop that gave beginners lessons, and brush up lessons. The guy ( in his Late Teens ) gave me a few sheets of stuff to practice, he left the room and I could hear him in the other room.
He commented; "Why would someone his age want to take up guitar ?"
I picked up the papers, walked to his office, tossed the papers on his desk and said; "Good question, I have no idea why I chose you as my teacher."

Ed

Last edited by Edgar Poe; 11-14-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:51 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Well, its kind of an odd thing.

How many of us have seen someone get tons of "likes" on facebook for a video of a song sung well with simple chords played and read the comments that said "great playing" and wondered what video they watched?

Or seen someone play a good tune, but have to add that 7 fret stretch which many are born without and wonder what was so important about that one note?

Most of us, if not all, are looking for confirmation that we are good or at least improving to a good level ( whatever that may be). Some need some kind of confimation that they are better than someone else in order to feel as though they are good. I think that is when you will see or hear the term used in a derogatory manner.

I think the true measure of a guitar being played is when you just listen (and not look).

Did you enjoy the song? Fine, then who cares what chords were used.

(p.s. you can play 9th and 11th chords in the 1st position)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Arthritis prevents me from playing barre chords.
I make the most of open chords with sliding and muting.
I play a version of Carter/Boom Chick/flatpick with lots of runs and walk ups and downs.
Folks seem to like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write