The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Default String-changing cordless screwdriver

Does anyone recommend any certain one? I have a 4v Ernie Ball brand guitar-stringing cordless tool that I got on sale years ago but I have about given up finding the charging cord / power supply or another brand one that will work. It's hiding somewhere but I can't find it and have looked for months now, lol.

For guitar-stringing, I can't recall if an adaptor came with the Ernie Ball, surely it did, or maybe I bought that separately.

I saw a Dewalt that looks appealing but it's $109! But you can use the entire device either in-line or as pistol grip, as the handle is 'adjustable.' It also has a gyro such than you just squeeze the trigger and orient your wrist somehow and it knows to either tighten or loosen. There are other brands from $17 to $29 that I saw. Of course, a cordless screwdriver tool could double as a handyman tool around the house. The Dewalt has its own rechargeable batteries and a charger and the cheaper ones use everything from USB-cable charging to four AA batteries. Any favorites, opinions?

I have some super heavy duty resealable baggie bags that I use for fishing baits and gear on my boat; I could use one of these to house everything needed for string changing. So, a see-through bag, which is handy, or could use an old mic bag or such, but they might be too small.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:01 AM

I just bought a cheap hand held drill for doing general things around the house and added one of these to the kit:

https://a.co/d/fev6jZY

https://a.co/d/9fQUGhp

I've never looked back. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2024, 06:06 AM

Yup, same as Talk2me, get the music nomad bit and a cheap small rechargeable screwdriver.
https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-Recharge...s%2C133&sr=8-8
Old 03-10-2024, 06:07 AM

I used to use the Ernie Ball one, but with the AA batteries, not the internal rechargeable one. Buying batteries got cumbersome and expensive.

I currently use a Galaxy Pro 12v cordless drill I bought off of Amazon for about 19$$, and I use a Dadarrio string winder bit they sell..i think it was 4-5$. The best part, IMO, about this drill, is that it charges with a USB C cable, so even if you lose one, odds are, you have another one laying around the house. I've had it for about a year and only charged it once.
The drill works well, spins fast enough, much faster than the Ernie Ball one, and is good enough to be used around the house (drilling holes in walls, tightening screws, etc etc.)
Old 03-10-2024, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Any cordless drill or screwdriver will do. I’d recommend getting one with a couple of speeds. I tend to use low speed for the lowest strings, which are fatter and can fit fewer wraps, but for removing strings and for the many wraps the higher strings can use, I like having a higher speed option. I’m using a Ryobi I picked up on Amazon a few years ago for I think around $30-$35.

-Ray
Old 03-10-2024, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Yep, any rechargeable cordless screwdriver will do. Like many, I started with an Ernie Ball AA battery model which was okay but didn't last all that lone. So I bought this one which has a cool pistol grip option:

SKIL 4V Pivot Grip Rechargeable Cordless Screwdriver

And then this adapter which I modified a bit for the bigger machine heads on one of my guitars:

Guitar String Winder Head Hex Electric Drill Tuning Peg

Straight grip (preferred):

Pistol grip:

Old 03-10-2024, 08:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I saw the tech at my local dealership using the DeWalt drill and had to have one. Then I saw that the engineers in the shop where I work using them and it was sealed. You should know that there is an inline model that doesn't have the swing-down grip. It looks like this:

It sells for $89. That's the one I've got. My lively wife bought it for me one Christmas.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-10-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I use a Dremel brand rechargeable power screwdriver and it works great. I only have to charge it every couple of months and I’m changing strings on multiple guitars every week. Before that I was using a cheap Black and Decker rechargeable screwdriver.

I’m not sure why you’re saying the pegwinder attachment won’t fit. It’s a universal size that is the same as other power drill attachments. It will fit any power screwdriver or power drill.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-10-2024, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I have a Black and Decker rechargeable screw driver that I use. Picked it up at Menards on sale for $25. It is a very versatile and useful tool. You just need to keep your eyes open for a deal to come up.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-10-2024, 08:56 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I use the Ernie Ball Power Peg Pro. Here's a pic of the charger label.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ErnieBallcharger.jpg (18.2 KB, 239 views)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I use a Dremel brand rechargeable power screwdriver and it works great. I only have to charge it every couple of months and I’m changing strings on multiple guitars every week. Before that I was using a cheap Black and Decker rechargeable screwdriver.

I’m not sure why you’re saying the pegwinder attachment won’t fit. It’s a universal size that is the same as other power drill attachments. It will fit any power screwdriver or power drill.
If your last comment is in regards to the OP, whatever I said, I didn't mean what you said, lol. I just meant that I have one (and also have the EBall drill gizmo but I can't find the power supply). Just not sure if the string wind adaptor came with the EBall or if I bought it separately. That part is actually irrelevant, wasn't any need to mention it really.

Only thing regarding 'not working' is finding the original power supply or any brand among my numerous power supplies that will charge the EBall.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:04 AM

I bought the cheapest cordless I could find at Harbor Freight. All I need it to do is turn the tuning machines.

I can get 3 or 4 changes out of it before recharging. It's not much but most of the time it just lays in a drawer. It discharges mostly by non-use. But it sure makes string changes on the 12 string nice.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-10-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
If your last comment is in regards to the OP, whatever I said, I didn't mean what you said, lol. I just meant that I have one (and also have the EBall drill gizmo but I can't find the power supply). Just not sure if the string wind adaptor came with the EBall or if I bought it separately. That part is actually irrelevant, wasn't any need to mention it really.

Only thing regarding 'not working' is finding the original power supply or any brand among my numerous power supplies that will charge the EBall.
Well that makes a lot more sense! I’m sorry for the misunderstanding. The power supply should be easy to replace. You just need to do an online search (I use eBay) for a universal charger with the same polarity and output of the original. The pic from a poster above will have the information you need. I’m me if you need assistance.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-10-2024, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

What would be the benefits of am Ernie Ball or Dunlop string winder over just an electric screwdriver? It seems to me the electric screwdriver would be a more versatile tool than something specifically designed to wind strings.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-10-2024, 09:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
What would be the benefits of am Ernie Ball or Dunlop string winder over just an electric screwdriver? It seems to me the electric screwdriver would be a more versatile tool than something specifically designed to wind strings.
I'd rather an electric screwdriver that was variable speed, but I have the Ernie Ball which is in fine working order so no sense in not using it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion