The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-19-2024, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Glad it got worked out, Scott. Now that you have achieved even tone from the p/u an outboard preamp might help with final tone shaping. I'd try that before abandoning the existing p/u system outright. Any under-saddle transducer is very sensitive to down pressure.

I'm curious about the X7 V3 larger compared to our older, smaller X7's with the smaller forward-facing soundhole (V2). Dimensionally the new X7 is about halfway between the old X7 and an X20 and according to reports here, the volume and tone are in between too. I'm not curious enough to make a purchase, but still interested. Inquiring minds and all that....
I've now owned one X7 v2 and two X7 v3's. The v3 X7's are surprisingly loud for such a small body, short scale guitar. Both my v3 X7's were custom orders with slightly longer scales than stock (24.5 vs 24) so maybe a little more volume there. But I'm very surprised with just how loud this latest X7 is. It's nearly as loud as my IRIS DF which is very loud guitar. Sure, I can push the DF more and get more out of it but I'm quite shocked at the volume of this latest X7. I played both with my sound meter app and they had nearly the same output of volume. My last X7 was also significantly louder than my X20 which I owned both at the same time. Also, the up-facing sound hole does a great job of directing the sound up to the player, another thing I'd forgotten about until I got this latest one.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
... the middle strings were still quiet so I added foil tape to the A, D & G string areas and that helped a bit. I pulled the saddle again and added another piece of foil tape to just the A string and now the tone is very even low E through B.
Hurray...I'm glad you got to a better place with the P/U.
2023 Rainsong WS Nashville LE2
Old 01-20-2024, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I've now owned one X7 v2 and two X7 v3's. The v3 X7's are surprisingly loud for such a small body, short scale guitar. Both my v3 X7's were custom orders with slightly longer scales than stock (24.5 vs 24) so maybe a little more volume there. But I'm very surprised with just how loud this latest X7 is. It's nearly as loud as my IRIS DF which is very loud guitar. Sure, I can push the DF more and get more out of it but I'm quite shocked at the volume of this latest X7. I played both with my sound meter app and they had nearly the same output of volume. My last X7 was also significantly louder than my X20 which I owned both at the same time. Also, the up-facing sound hole does a great job of directing the sound up to the player, another thing I'd forgotten about until I got this latest one.
That's interesting. My experience is the opposite. My X20 is much louder acoustically than my X7 v3. In fact, my X7 isn't even as loud as my GS mini.

I'm not complaining though because X7 sounds great and I really enjoy playing it with the HyVibe.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
That's interesting. My experience is the opposite. My X20 is much louder acoustically than my X7 v3. In fact, my X7 isn't even as loud as my GS mini.

I'm not complaining though because X7 sounds great and I really enjoy playing it with the HyVibe.
My X20 was an older model (2017) compared to the newer ones so maybe some difference there. Who knows? Also, with the X7 with HyVibe - that's a lot material inside the guitar so maybe that dampened the volume at bit? Again, who knows for sure. So many variations with woody tops vs plain CF, different pickup systems, scale lengths, etc. All I know is that two X7's (v3) I've owned have been surprisingly loud for such a small guitar.

I ended up pulling the saddle today (AGAIN!) after playing it some more amplified. The hot high E was bugging me. So I added another, longer strip of foil tape that covered low E through B, over the two pieces of tape I had already installed and crossed my fingers. I also pushed the end of the UST on the high E side into a hole on that side of the saddle slot and restrung. BOOM! Nirvana! Dead even tone across ALL SIX STRINGS! Woohoo!!

Then I spent some time dialing in the tone on the EV30M some more and got an even better sound. Needless to say, I'm stoked. I also took the time to 'paint' some center marks with nail polish on the VTC wheels. The Tone wheel has a center detent but the Volume does not. I like being able to see at a glance where I am on both since I dial up the volume and tone when I switch to fingerstyle for the delicate ballads. This guitar will get the call for next week's amplified gig.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I ended up pulling the saddle today (AGAIN!) after playing it some more amplified. The hot high E was bugging me. So I added another, longer strip of foil tape that covered low E through B, over the two pieces of tape I had already installed and crossed my fingers. I also pushed the end of the UST on the high E side into a hole on that side of the saddle slot and restrung. BOOM! Nirvana! Dead even tone across ALL SIX STRINGS! Woohoo!!
You actually changed two things - the additional tape and the UST. I wonder which had the most effect?

Regardless, it’s great that you’ve got it sorted. I’m tempted to have a go at my X20 next time I restring it. I think I’ve even got some aluminum tape around here somewhere - if not, I’m sure my local hardware store will have something suitable.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-20-2024, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
You actually changed two things - the additional tape and the UST. I wonder which had the most effect?

Regardless, it’s great that you’ve got it sorted. I’m tempted to have a go at my X20 next time I restring it. I think I’ve even got some aluminum tape around here somewhere - if not, I’m sure my local hardware store will have something suitable.
Pretty equal, I think. In addition to the hot high E string, there was a lack of evenness between the rest. No longer. I don't even know where I got the foil tape. It's something that just seemed to show up in my garage and might be something from the 70's that was part of my dad's tool chest that I got after he passed.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
My X20 was an older model (2017) compared to the newer ones so maybe some difference there. Who knows? Also, with the X7 with HyVibe - that's a lot material inside the guitar so maybe that dampened the volume at bit? Again, who knows for sure. So many variations with woody tops vs plain CF, different pickup systems, scale lengths, etc. All I know is that two X7's (v3) I've owned have been surprisingly loud for such a small guitar.

Then I spent some time dialing in the tone on the EV30M some more and got an even better sound. Needless to say, I'm stoked. I also took the time to 'paint' some center marks with nail polish on the VTC wheels. The Tone wheel has a center detent but the Volume does not. I like being able to see at a glance where I am on both since I dial up the volume and tone when I switch to fingerstyle for the delicate ballads. This guitar will get the call for next week's amplified gig.
Glad you sorted out your pickup string balance! I've done similar things to balance under saddle piezo pickups.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
My X20 was an older model (2017) compared to the newer ones so maybe some difference there. Who knows?
I recently acquired a 2021 built X20 in a trade and spent a lot of time comparing it to my 2016 X20, with the same EJ-16 strings on both. The older one has a slightly warmer tone, roughly described as the tone difference PB's versus 80/20"s. The newer one has slightly more "cut" or brightness to it, as if the brilliance control on a pre-amp was dialed up slightly. The overall loudness was pretty comparable, but I did not pull out one of my sound meters to attempt measurements.

We never know what or when something changes at the Emerald shop. They can change specific layup techniques, resin source, CF cloth source or weave, and such at any given time. And I understand not revealing those proprietary details.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Hi Scott, thanks for sharing that experience with the foil tape. A good technique for working on isolated strings. I have HVAC foil tape in my garage for wrapping around joints in ducting. With out checking it, it maybe or not, too thick.

A little off topic, but this relates a little. Another thing I have done when removing UST PU and not cutting a new saddle to bring the height back up. Instead of trying credit card stuff, which is pretty hard, but I was trying to think of something harder I got the idea to use my old guitar strings. I have a bunch of different thicknesses/gauges to try. Worked OK to my ears.
Gary
Old 01-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrogue1 View Post
Hi Scott, thanks for sharing that experience with the foil tape. A good technique for working on isolated strings. I have HVAC foil tape in my garage for wrapping around joints in ducting. With out checking it, it maybe or not, too thick.

A little off topic, but this relates a little. Another thing I have done when removing UST PU and not cutting a new saddle to bring the height back up. Instead of trying credit card stuff, which is pretty hard, but I was trying to think of something harder I got the idea to use my old guitar strings. I have a bunch of different thicknesses/gauges to try. Worked OK to my ears.

Gary
I've used copper foil tape that I have around for shielding electric guitars for shimming saddles. Seems to work great. It is definitely thinner than HVAC tape.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:21 AM

https://coleclark.myshopify.com/prod...40167796441151

Here you go. They sell pickup that can be installed on any acoustic guitar now.

The difference is piezo bar instead of the metal plate & is without face sensor.

Price is in AUD and not cheap for sure.

Aaron Short did a review here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwJDeAc0RiA

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber