The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 AM

(post brought forward, see my first post on this thread)

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.

Last edited by tkuane; 06-06-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Just to get it right, tkuane, Petros builds great guitars, I was talking about my own experience with them. At this price point, I am not sure if any comparison makes sense, but unfortunately the OP asked. Most owners of a certain guitar love their builders.

On trademarking Tunnel 13: Again, just my view. I took from Denis' thread that he was not able to use it, which I found strange, as if someone trademarked Sinker Redwood and no one else could call their guitars Sinker anymore when they are built from Sinker. There was a similar discussion on this forum on Dave Eichelbaum's 8-string and the combination of pin and pinless bridge on his 8 and 12 strings.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I've never played a Beaurgard, but I've played a handful of each of the others. I would rank them Ryan, Olson, Petros.

Something about the Ryan signature tone that is very captivating.

I would say that Ryan and Olson have a better feel to them than Petros as well. Something about them just feels more solid. don't know how to explain in words.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 AM

It's unbelievable how many people on this thread would rank Petros consistently third.

I really hope those who read this thread check out the results of the latest Acoustic Guitar Player's Choice Awards (2008) which gets thousands of votes every time they do these awards. Also keep in mind that the Petros won the gold in the small-scale guitar maker category without endorsements from world famous players that the other makers on the list has. Petros had also (as far as I know) not exhibited at NAMM.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/pca/SearchWinners.aspx

If you have noticed, I do not rank guitars. I tell what I like and like not so much about various guitars, and appreciate that all guitars have their individual strengths. However, some seem intent on saying that one is better than the other. Based on this thread, and earlier threads as well, I also find it very interesting that some from this group can only justify their rankings by a vague "special something" factor.

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.

Last edited by tkuane; 06-07-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuane View Post
It's unbelievable how many people on this thread would rank Petros consistently third.
Because all this is based on personal preferences and subjective opinions?

Let this thread evolve a little bit and you'll see other names added in the list and some not so stellar comments about the makers that are already mentioned here.

Nature of the beast.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

the original poster wrote: "I'm mainly looking for people to compare them against each other"

ranking isn't a bad thing. it is very subjective, but it is also comparative and that is what the original poster was asking

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM

nice....................

Last edited by Guitar4life; 06-07-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
Just to get it right, tkuane, Petros builds great guitars, I was talking about my own experience with them. At this price point, I am not sure if any comparison makes sense, but unfortunately the OP asked. Most owners of a certain guitar love their builders.

On trademarking Tunnel 13: Again, just my view. I took from Denis' thread that he was not able to use it, which I found strange, as if someone trademarked Sinker Redwood and no one else could call their guitars Sinker anymore when they are built from Sinker. There was a similar discussion on this forum on Dave Eichelbaum's 8-string and the combination of pin and pinless bridge on his 8 and 12 strings.
Just to comment on the title "Tunnel 13" and being able to use it or not. I certainly can't call my guitar a Tunnel 13 but there is nothing wrong with me calling the wood it is made from, Tunnel 13 redwood because that is just what it is.
In regards to comparing Olson to Ryan or Petros, I have never had the opportunity to play any of them. I know each and every on are fine guitars and I have heard many times people comparing mine to theirs. Some don't like the fact the Olson neck is too thin or even that the sound unplugged is thin as well. Listening to Phil Keggy if that is how his name is spelled, the guitar is fantastic and why wouldn't any one want one, I was sold on the sound when I heard it. As for Ryan, I have heard it's a good guitar but not spectacular. and the same goes for Petros.
In hearing many comments I think if there was a standard made, then and only then could a guitar be compared to another in this case. We have so many different thoughts on how a guitar should feel or sound, it, I think would be very very hard to come to a final pole.
Now when I hear others say that my guitars are every bit a good as an Olson, you will not hear me complain a bit.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Interesting comments. I for one have never heard someone refer to the Olson sound as "thin" - plugged OR unplugged.

Never heard anyone refer to Kevin Ryan's guitars as "not spectacular" either.

Regardless, everyone has different tastes. It's a good thing to have a large variety of choices.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM

I really like the Olsons and Ryans and Petros.

I own/have owned all three and they all sound great - depends on what you want. I must say that the Ryan and Olsons sound more different than the Olson and Petros IMO.

Comparisons relative to the group:

Ryans - Most fundamental and very refined tone
Olsons - Most harmonically rich and very refined and open sounding
Petros - Most robust and very rich as well/Most raw sounding
Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 PM

There's not way we can settle this unless we do a taste test. Let's all meet at Healdsburg guitar festival next year and find out! I'll bring by Beauregard guitar. Who's bringing the Petros, Olson, and Ryan?

Jason
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonechoi View Post
There's not way we can settle this unless we do a taste test. Let's all meet at Healdsburg guitar festival next year and find out! I'll bring by Beauregard guitar. Who's bringing the Petros, Olson, and Ryan?

Jason
Maybe Bruce, Kevin and Jim?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Isn't Healdsburgh held every other year? so the next one will be in 2011?
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 06-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyee View Post
Isn't Healdsburgh held every other year? so the next one will be in 2011?
Yupe, 2011.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcormier View Post
Hey everyone. I'm not asking the question "which is best?" here. I'm just looking for some people who've played some of these brands and have an opinion to voice on them. I know, these are all fantastic instruments, and I doubt anyone didn't like them, but, I'm mainly looking for people to compare them against each other and to other high end guitars.

Thanks,
Max
You may as well be asking which ice cream is best: vanilla, chocolate or maple walnut. Each of us has our preference. You may get a meaningful answer from someone who rather than state which is best describes how they differ from each other however. Of the four, I've only played an Olson so I can't compare and contrast them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop