The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Petros GC Italian/Ebony Review

Hi guys,

I have had my Petros for 2 weeks now. It is the best guitar I have ever played. It was a nervous few months wondering how it would compare to the many individual luthier guitars that I have tried. I am convinced that I have one of the best guitars by any measure. I am very very happy.

Here's a link to my e-mail to Bruce after receiving the guitar

Ebony and Italian GC

This guitar opens up so many possibilites for me. It is a fine instrument of the highest quality. The guitar's volume and tonal, range and balance allows me to play in ways I could never have. And the sound is unbelievable.

I've had a few friends over to try the guitar and I've identified 3 stages of their encounter with it.
First is when they first see it, then gush and compliment its ridiculously beautiful craftsmanship.
Second, they say "Oh, it sounds nice as well", as I play it.
Third and finally, they play it for themselves and I've seen their jaws drop every time. Every song takes on a richer life on this guitar. I'm only just discovering the beautiful sounds that I can make on this guitar.

Please allow me to shamelessly post pictures.

By the way, the Karura case is excellent. I believe I have the best case for the best guitar. Please pardon my pride, I'm so relieved and happy that the guitar exceeded all my expectations.

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.

Last edited by tkuane; 06-06-2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: New Pictures
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM

congratulations, for the great guitar!! so you had to wait for about a year for it? that's not too bad..
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 AM
The Foreigner

Wow, what a beauty! ohhh, and the guitar's nice too
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 AM

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Now that is a beautiful instrument!

Congratulations on your Petros!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Congrats! My favorite Petros body size is GC with an Italian top. So lively, expressive and robust. Looks like you have a winner there that hopefully will give you a lifetime of playing pleasure.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 AM

My lawyer will be contacting you shortly regarding a jaw that was broken after hitting the floor.

The Desert Wind - Patrick's Flight
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Good show, KE! Congrats!!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
happiness

Congratulations KE, what a beautiful guitar! Thanks for the review and pics, it sounds like you've got a good 'un there!

Fliss
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Now that is an awesome instrument!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Really beautiful Petros. Congrats and thanks for posting the pics.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM

The guitar is absolutely gorgeous, and I am thrilled to hear you describe it. There is something particularly wonderful about acquiring a truly outstanding instrument; to be able to admire the workmanship, share the joy with friends, and play it for yourself. It is the beginning of a relationship that can last for a lifetime, and always give back everything you put into it. You bond with it, and it's newness will eventually give way to a welcome, intimate familiarity, much like that of an old, dear acquaintance that you can always rely on.

This may sound a bit effusive, but I know the feeling well, and there is nothing quite like it. With mine, I look forward to the years ahead when I have adapted to an instrument, and it is broken-in to my style of play, and together we create a sound that is unique and individual.

Sure, a guitar is just a tool, but with a bit of imagination, it can be more than that. Isn't that part of the mind-set someone must have to create a song, or even an entire body of work?

Congratulations, and I hope you will have much enjoyment ahead as you coax your instrument into giving you that kind of pleasure.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming ....

... JT
Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

WOW! I'm so happy for you, bet the T13 you have coming up will give the same results... All the words you wrote I've experienced myself and that's exactly why I have a Tunnel 13 on order myself.... Something very very special about Petros builds, it must me experienced in person, there are no words....
Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Wow, that really is a beauty! I too own a Petros GC, albeit in crappy, old Sitka/EIR . If you think you love it now, wait 'till you see/hear what happens when that baby settles in and opens up a bit.

Mine is five-years-old this month, and I love it more all the time. It has a richness and complexity that I just can't put into words. It still takes my breath away. And don't you just love that neck and fingerboard?

I know strings are subjective, plus you have a different wood combo, but I'll go out on a limb and make a recommendation. I have tried all the major and quite a few of the minor brands, and I find GHS Bright Bronze sound best on mine. (I have no affiliation with GHS, and generally prefer D'Addario phosphor bronze for my Taylor.)

Enjoy it.

2006 Pavan TP-30 Classical
2004 Petros Grand Concert
2001 Taylor 614CE LTD Tobaccoburst
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM

After reading the e-mail link and seeing the pictures, I predict the GAS quotient just increased by 26.6% on this forum. It is so nice to hear a guitar described as you have done. Congratulations!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion