The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Default computer monitors

Just got a Apple G5 to start a small studio. Trying to figure out what type of monitor to use. Will a standard flat screen due or will I be better off with a wide screen? Will be using pro tools. Can anyone out there that has a studio give there 2c worth?
Into a dancer you have grown, from a seed somebody else has thrown, go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own, and somewhere between the time you arrive, and the time you go, may lie the reason you were alive, but you'll never know.

1976 Ebony Gibson Dove
2003 Schneider DS-1 Small Jumbo Brazilian / Adirondack

Ultra Sound Pro 250
Old 05-19-2006, 06:33 PM

With ProTools, I think you would enjoy a widescreen display. The windows that you will use to record and edit will fit better in a widescreen. Really, it comes down to what you can afford, but if it were me--wide is better.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

In Protools, wide is great for the mixing window and tall is great for the edit window. I guess it depends on how many tracks you'll be dealing with. I just record and mix 3 or 4 track (at most), so a standard monitor works fine for me
Old 05-20-2006, 12:34 AM

I like to use a dual monitor setup so I can drag things over to the second screen to avoid overlap.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:39 PM

I'm a G5 (Quad) user (designer) and I have the 30" Cinema Display, which is a PLEASURE to work on every day... especially in programs that really benefit from the extra screen real estate like Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Photoshop... etc. I know it's pricey (smaller screens =less $$)... but I make my living using it, so it works for me. Point is, Apple makes FINE flat screen monitors... very hard to beat. Bright, cisp and beautiful (hey... it's Apple!). I'd also say go widescreen!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell