The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-20-2024, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I follow YZZY Guitars (Kris Young) on my instagram and he posted some photos from the show where he was showing as a vendor luthier. His instagram is @yzzyguitars.

Ron

@guitar.photography_

Breedlove Revival DR Deluxe 2009, Jayson Bowerman ...(co-designer Preston Thompson)
Rebecca Urlacher Modern Dreadnought 2019
Eastman E1D-Special
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 05-20-2024, 09:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sorry I didn’t take more pictures to share. I didn’t want to make the other luthiers feel funny but doing so. Looking back I doubt any would have minded they are all such welcoming people to be around! Hopefully more pictures come shortly.

On a side note I did have to cross the Deception pass bridge to deliver a guitar afterwards.

I heard [mention]J. Kinnard [/mention] was going to be in the area a few more days and I thought I’d give him some encouragement to give Deception pass another try.

Man that railing feels low.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Joe that's crazy. The railings, the hight, and you are not holding on. I am not encouraged to walk the bridge at all. I'm having second thoughts about driving it.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Do it quick before weather changes tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whitman View Post
On a side note I did have to cross the Deception pass bridge to deliver a guitar afterwards.
Glad to hear that someone on Whidbey bought one of your guitars!
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 05-20-2024, 08:48 PM

Default No mention of LaConner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Joe that's crazy. The railings, the hight, and you are not holding on. I am not encouraged to walk the bridge at all. I'm having second thoughts about driving it.

Driving shouldn’t be a problem. I cross it several times a week. As a local, though, I don’t walk out there unless there’s a pod of Orcas or Grey Whales making an appearance. Even then, I usually just wait until there’s a sighting in Penn Cove. That said, this old Reebok commercial was filmed there: https://youtu.be/aS0l8oqMR-4
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 05-20-2024, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Oh my!!! Reminds me of when my daughter was studying abroad in South Africa and told us she had bungee jumped the world's highest bungee location, and soon after we drove over the Deception Pass Bridge and I learned that her South Africa bridge had been far, far higher. I blanched, swallowed hard, scratched my head at how my own daughter could do that, then looked down off Deception Pass Bridge and blanched yet again. Not to hijack this thread, but for anyone curious...

https://youtu.be/dWTIsKK3pBo?si=zsyt0GHvnTfAPyGm

@guitar.photography_

Breedlove Revival DR Deluxe 2009, Jayson Bowerman ...(co-designer Preston Thompson)
Rebecca Urlacher Modern Dreadnought 2019
Eastman E1D-Special
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 05-21-2024, 08:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here it is, Deception Pass and that notorious bridge. I'm driving it today. Surviving that will post pictures of the show.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Here it is, Deception Pass and that notorious bridge. I'm driving it today. Surviving that will post pictures of the show.

I hope you make it! We need some more guitar pictures in this thread. [emoji846]
Old 05-21-2024, 05:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've posted some pics over on the Fretboard Journal Patreon page for anyone who wants to see them (no membership needed).

I was only able to attend for a tiny bit on Sunday but it was another great show courtesy of Brent McElroy. He puts his heart and soul into this weekend and it was so fun to see the usual gang of acoustic legends (Gurian, Wingert, Michael Bashkin, etc) along with up and comers and just fascinating folks from the industry (Evan Gluck from NY; Nully from Collings).

My own PNW bias aside, La Conner has to be one of the coolest little towns in America. It's just a fun place to be (bridges or no bridges, guitars or no guitars). In fact, I got married there (long before there was a guitar festival)!

I love that there are now all these unique guitar gatherings - Artisan, La Conner, our Chicago Fretboard Summit (August), the Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival (September) and Tom's B.I.G. (September) - that all have their own vibe and cast of characters. It's a great time to be a semi-extroverted guitar nerd.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

There were so many brilliant instruments to play there and it was a pleasure to meet up with so many. John you must have been out hunting down advice for crossing the bridge every time I kept coming by your booth, sorry I missed you!

There was a lady luthier from Spain that had a guitar there that had something unique I hadn't tried before. She is implementing deliberate twist in the fret board to improve playability (raised at the nut side of the 1st string and the bridge side of the 6th).

I tried her guitar and noticed that the playability was fantastic. It wasn't until I discussed it with her that she explained what it was and I could see it in the near even action at the 12th.

Last edited by Aspiring; 05-22-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Year after year the La Conner show is one of my favorite events -- such amazing and lovely people in a beautiful spot and the feeling of community just keeps getting stronger and stronger. If you've been on the fence about attending and haven't gone up yet, I would highly recommend putting it on your calendar for next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
There was a lady luthier from Spain that had a guitar there that had something unique I hadn't tried before. She is implementing deliberate twist in the fret board to improve playability (raised at the nut side of the 1st string and the bridge side of the 6th).

I tried her guitar and noticed that the playability was fantastic. It wasn't until I discussed it with her that she explained what it was and I could see it in the near even action at the 12th.
I spent the weekend travelling and staying with the great Italian builder, Noemi Schembri, who is another former apprentice of Sergei de Jonge. We were talking about twisting the fingerboard (which we learned from Sergei) and were wondering how many other builders do it as well. The biggest benefit is that it results in an even saddle protection from bass to treble. Basically a straightedge will lay just above the bridge on the treble side and a little below the top of the bridge on the bass. If the difference between those two points at the bridge is ~1.4mm, you end up with the correct difference in action at the 12th. Many guitars suffer from an increasingly low saddle on the treble side as the guitar ages and this really helps delay/prevent that. It's cool to know other builders out there are doing it as well!
instagram
Old 05-23-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonv View Post
I've posted some pics over on the Fretboard Journal Patreon page for anyone who wants to see them (no membership needed).

I was only able to attend for a tiny bit on Sunday but it was another great show courtesy of Brent McElroy. He puts his heart and soul into this weekend and it was so fun to see the usual gang of acoustic legends (Gurian, Wingert, Michael Bashkin, etc) along with up and comers and just fascinating folks from the industry (Evan Gluck from NY; Nully from Collings).

My own PNW bias aside, La Conner has to be one of the coolest little towns in America. It's just a fun place to be (bridges or no bridges, guitars or no guitars). In fact, I got married there (long before there was a guitar festival)!

I love that there are now all these unique guitar gatherings - Artisan, La Conner, our Chicago Fretboard Summit (August), the Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival (September) and Tom's B.I.G. (September) - that all have their own vibe and cast of characters. It's a great time to be a semi-extroverted guitar nerd.
Thank you for the shout-out in regards to B.I.G. We have been doing it since 2019 so it is nice to be recognized. I wish I would have been able to meet you and say hello.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop