The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-20-2024, 06:05 PM

Default Advice, Opportunity, or Both

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums. My name is Brandon, I'm 30 years old, and I live in South Florida. To summarize a bit about myself: my life has been anything but linear.

I will try to keep it short while showing sincerity. In 2023 I needed a break, to reset, if you will. I managed to secure a job via the internet in remote Kodiak, Alaska, to work at a wilderness retreat. So having almost never left my state, I ventured off alone to a region that is about as remote as it can get, and as far as I can get within the USA from my current location. I enjoyed myself there, and when I returned to Florida, having avoided any numerous possibilities of death during that adventure (including a crazy cat lady that writes murder mystery books set in Kodiak...), I picked up a job in yacht carpentry, as I had been obsessed with wooden boats, hand tool woodworking, and Paul Sellers prior to leaving. We use a lot of engineered materials, as is expected, and I can't say I'm passionate about it.

I bought a ukulele kit and I'm absolutely hooked. I've been playing guitar on and off since I was in 5th grade, over my life I've played bassoon, saxophone, and mellophone, I've owned and sold too many synthesizers, I have a small home studio, and it never dawned on me how perfect the combination of music and woodworking would be, and ever since I realized I cannot stop thinking about it... Becoming a luthier.

Work has slowed down, and I'm at a bit of a turning point in life right now. I want to relocate North, to a colder climate, and I've just about all my belongings packed away should an opportunity present itself. I'm not afraid to rough it in any way needed.

In the meantime, I am about to purchase Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology, and The Responsive Guitar Bundle. Unfortunately, I am not well off, save for the small bit of assets I own in musical instruments and woodworking tools. My savings is off limits right now, as I hope to be able to build myself an off-grid "shack" to live in someday, instead of being a perpetual renter... And therefore I put the expensive luthiery schools out of the question... Not to mention I'm a bit of an introverted loner, I like the idea of a more singular relationship with an instructor rather than going to a school...

And so I am reaching out here, after emailing a few dozen luthiers today, so much so that my wrist had gone numb, to ask if anyone needs an apprentice, knows of an apprenticeship, or has any advice for me. I'm ready to hop across the country.

I want to kickstart all the time I've lost in life, and while the dollar is so devalued right now, I think there's never been a better time for once to say "to heck with the money", to do something I love, try to do it well, and hope for the best.

Feel free to private message me to ask more about me, my situation, goals, or anything else. I could ramble on for a while as I am now.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenStars View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums. My name is Brandon, I'm 30 years old, and I live in South Florida. To summarize a bit about myself: my life has been anything but linear.

I will try to keep it short while showing sincerity. In 2023 I needed a break, to reset, if you will. I managed to secure a job via the internet in remote Kodiak, Alaska, to work at a wilderness retreat. So having almost never left my state, I ventured off alone to a region that is about as remote as it can get, and as far as I can get within the USA from my current location. I enjoyed myself there, and when I returned to Florida, having avoided any numerous possibilities of death during that adventure (including a crazy cat lady that writes murder mystery books set in Kodiak...), I picked up a job in yacht carpentry, as I had been obsessed with wooden boats, hand tool woodworking, and Paul Sellers prior to leaving. We use a lot of engineered materials, as is expected, and I can't say I'm passionate about it.

I bought a ukulele kit and I'm absolutely hooked. I've been playing guitar on and off since I was in 5th grade, over my life I've played bassoon, saxophone, and mellophone, I've owned and sold too many synthesizers, I have a small home studio, and it never dawned on me how perfect the combination of music and woodworking would be, and ever since I realized I cannot stop thinking about it... Becoming a luthier.

Work has slowed down, and I'm at a bit of a turning point in life right now. I want to relocate North, to a colder climate, and I've just about all my belongings packed away should an opportunity present itself. I'm not afraid to rough it in any way needed.

In the meantime, I am about to purchase Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology, and The Responsive Guitar Bundle. Unfortunately, I am not well off, save for the small bit of assets I own in musical instruments and woodworking tools. My savings is off limits right now, as I hope to be able to build myself an off-grid "shack" to live in someday, instead of being a perpetual renter... And therefore I put the expensive luthiery schools out of the question... Not to mention I'm a bit of an introverted loner, I like the idea of a more singular relationship with an instructor rather than going to a school...

And so I am reaching out here, after emailing a few dozen luthiers today, so much so that my wrist had gone numb, to ask if anyone needs an apprentice, knows of an apprenticeship, or has any advice for me. I'm ready to hop across the country.

I want to kickstart all the time I've lost in life, and while the dollar is so devalued right now, I think there's never been a better time for once to say "to heck with the money", to do something I love, try to do it well, and hope for the best.

Feel free to private message me to ask more about me, my situation, goals, or anything else. I could ramble on for a while as I am now.
Hi Brandon, welcome to AGF.

For starters, read what G.A.L. has to say:

https://luth.org/about-us/frequently...e%20know%20of.

Another excellent source of inspiration is all of the luthier interviews done by Jason Verlinde on his free Fretboard Journal Podcast. (YouTube or website)

When I was an early teen I used to tell my friends that if I ever started "woodworking" to please put me out of my misery.

Then I got married and decided I wanted much better furniture than what I could get at Target. That got me started in woodworking.

I had a passion for playing guitar since the age of 10, and by the time I was 20 or so I looked at the Ovation Balladeer I bought new and realized it was really a clever bit of engineering to maximize profit in the production of a guitar. About the same time I got into Bluegrass and decided it was time to move on to a "real guitar". I went to the local Martin dealer and got a case of serious sticker shock.

I looked carefully at those guitars and said to myself "I know that mere mortals such a as myself build these. Why couldn't I do the same?"

So it was that I, like yourself, chose to combine two of my passions.

I bought the only two books in print at the time, read them, and took the best ideas from both to build my first steel string, still being played by my daughter. That first guitar was over 40 years ago and I continue to make most everything I play. When I retired I kept myself busy and made some extra cash building custom lap steels. I tired of doing that after around 100 laps, but kept making and selling open back banjos. I maintained a website for several years marketing full size plans and construction guide packages for different instruments. I still do a few of those informational full build topics on other forums, but just for the pure enjoyment of it.

All of that is on the positive side of the balance sheet.

The MAIN problem is jobs, especially for anyone not having formal training, are few and far between. Even those folks who have invested heavily monetarily and time-wise to go through a school like Roberto Venn have a difficult time finding any work in the field of luthiery.

Guitar construction is particularly poor for a career choice because factory instruments are so inexpensive. Note that the huge majority of the guitar market is satisfied by cheap imports. The high end instruments are just not sold in numbers to support many workers that can make a living wage doing it.

I personally have managed to keep a fresh interest in building instruments by NOT turning it into a job. It does allow me to make and play otherwise expensive instruments that are tailored to my exact needs. That counts for a lot!

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-20-2024 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:19 PM

Thank you very much for your insightful reply! You're right, people say turning a passion into income tends to suck it dry... I have a passion for baking sourdough bread and have always told myself I didn't want to bake for a living... But I feel something stirs inside of me with guitars, like artisans of old earning income from their hands and reputation, which can be tarnished with but a single mishap. It's dangerous, a little thrilling. I was obsessed with Japanese woodworking prior to realizing I could combine music and wood.

It's a travesty, I suppose... Because obviously I don't just like to make guitars, but I like to make music and well, I don't think I'll ever be famous at that... Splitting time between a salary job, making guitars, making music, and everything else life entails... I'm not entirely sure it's possible.

I did just get a potential job offer in Rhode Island to work as a yacht carpenter... I do want to relocate out of Florida because it's miserably hot here and we don't have much in the way of forest. Rhode Island sounds nice, but I'm trying to weasel my way out of yacht carpentry at the moment.

I know, I know, I have to stay realistic. But I'm keeping my rose tinted glasses on for a couple more weeks.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I've done repairs as side work for years and recently considered perhaps getting into building. After extensive research I decided against it. The two main factors are that it has become super competitive and the market shows signs it will weaken. The main consumers of fine instruments are older folks. The boomers are aging and soon they won't be around. I expect this to have a significant (not catastrophic but significant) impact on the high end market. In a few years, I don't want to be stuck in a place where I've invested in a career with more competition and fewer customers.

I can tell you, nothing ruins your passion like making a job of it. I feel blessed to be able to do the lines of work I do, but they're still work and you can't expect to have the same feelings 10 or 20 years in that you did when it was a hobby and you had the stimulation that learning brings.

Last edited by Bowie; 05-21-2024 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
... Splitting time between a salary job, making guitars, making music, and everything else life entails... I'm not entirely sure it's possible.
A word of encouragement:

It is ABSOLUTELY possible.

Full time job, check. Dozen guitars built so far, with three in progress, check. 50+ gigs/year, check. Plus stay married and keep a small farm/homestead operational. I also teach kids guitar in an afterschool program during the school year.

The first step is to follow John Prine's advice and get rid of your television.
Moving to the country is optional but has worked for us.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I've done repairs as side work for years and recently considered perhaps getting into building. After extensive research I decided against it. The two main factors are that it has become super competitive and the market shows signs it will weaken..
Building guitars is not competitive. Marketing guitars is competitive.

I started building guitars after I retired. It occupies my time, makes me feel productive and I get to own and play any instrument I care to build at a 10th of the cost of buying a similar brand name version. I really don't want to start another job. I'm happy to sell guitars if someone wants one but I have no plans to market them.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:46 PM

Regarding books: I've read the Somogyi books and because you're on a tight budget I'd advise you to skip them.

The Cumpiano book is good but perhaps the best is, "Contemporary Acoustic Guitar"( a set of 2 books) by Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet. It contains more up-to-date methods of building as well as detailed explanations of how to test for tone, structure, etc. It's got a lot of math in it but if you're not great with math you can bypass those parts and still learn a lot.

In my opinion, those, the Cumpiano and Gore books, are the most essential books to own building steel string acoustics.

Also spend some time on this site: https://luthiersforum.com. There are many knowledgeable luthiers there as well as some beginners. The answers you'll receive can be trusted. If you're given bad advice by a beginner it will be corrected by others more skilled.

As far as getting an apprenticeship it sounds like you're doing what needs to be done. Also consider a week or so long class in guitar making if you can afford it.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Building guitars is not competitive. Marketing guitars is competitive.

I started building guitars after I retired. It occupies my time, makes me feel productive and I get to own and play any instrument I care to build at a 10th of the cost of buying a similar brand name version. I really don't want to start another job. I'm happy to sell guitars if someone wants one but I have no plans to market them.
Being that they are talking about work and said money is an issue, then the subject is about making a living building guitars, not a retirement hobby. I'm not sure why you quoted me.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:43 PM

Thirteen Stars,
Give me a call man ... I live in New Smyrna Beach. As you will find with most solo luthiers, I am not in a position to take on an apprentice but what I can give you is some advice and point you in the right direction if lutherie is something you are interested in.

You can find my number/email on my website (see link in my description).

All the Best,
Simon
Old 05-21-2024, 08:35 PM

De n f d a d

Last edited by Fathand; 05-22-2024 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:29 AM

Hello everyone,

Barely anyone has gotten back to me out of the many, many emails I've sent.

However, an absolutely remarkable luthier did... in the exact region I wanted to relocate, out of all of them, and by golly I went through just about all 50 states searching of their luthiers, even Alaska.

We're going to face chat soon to discuss things. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
A word of encouragement:

It is ABSOLUTELY possible.

Full time job, check. Dozen guitars built so far, with three in progress, check. 50+ gigs/year, check. Plus stay married and keep a small farm/homestead operational. I also teach kids guitar in an afterschool program during the school year.

The first step is to follow John Prine's advice and get rid of your television.
Moving to the country is optional but has worked for us.
Are you sure you're not me from a different timeline where the dollar is still valuable and I managed to succeed? Haha... Basically my entire life goals summarized right there. Florida is pretty darn hot, but I grow what I can, even sowed tobacco this year... In my county where I live with family, we're not "allowed" to have chickens, but if I can't move soon I might as well build a coop and wait to get fined, pay the price then... I can't say I enjoy it much here anymore, somewhat desperately trying to move at this pivotal moment in my life.

Haven't had a TV in my room for many years, I had to make space for my instruments and small home studio... although when soccer season was in full force, you'd catch me watching it on my phone... It's since been deleted.

You're right, it's all about priorities in life, it's possible, one just has to admit it... self-discipline, not getting upset with myself. Growing up with technology and rampant technological addictions, my generation struggles with squirrel brain. Heck, I don't even want to play gigs to be honest, I just want to follow in the footsteps of a lot of my favorite "modern" indie bands, like Tame Impala, and release fully fledged music, more of a composer than just a guitar player...

I'd be pretty content as a home producer, luthier, and homesteader... Once I reach a certain level of self-sustenance the money is irrelevant (though of course necessary in useful amounts)...

The technology is there to do it all yourself these days and I rarely consume live music anymore even though I was band captain in high school and sort of fell off the musical wagon after that. Both life struggles, as well as "you need to do something useful for society to make money instead of follow your heart and do something you like while living a lower quality of life"... That statement, it's true, and false... A paradox like a lot of life.

Yea... I'm kind of a loner / introvert type, I enjoy my Sennheiser HD6xx headphones.

Last edited by ThirteenStars; 05-22-2024 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You're right, it's all about priorities in life, it's possible, one just has to admit it...
Indeed.

For me, things are seasonal, as well. I do most of my building and teaching in the fall & winter, after things slow down on the farm; gigs are busier in the summer months; homestead activities are busy this time of year with planting, etc. but slow down after everything is in the pantry/freezer; etc. It's not 100% effort at every activity all the time.

Best of luck on your quest.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:35 PM

A lot of my issue stemsfrom a lack of space. I live with family right now, can’t afford rent working as a yacht carpenter in my area.

Don’t have space here for even a workbench… Let alone the relatively small job site tools I already own and keep stacked away.

Part of this quest is about venturing off on my own once and for all… perhaps somewhere a little cheaper lol, although rent prices are through the roof everywhere right now.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:47 AM

Just wanted to add, it's a vicarious pleasure to hear about your quest.

I was planning to work until full retirement age at my company, but I got axed early a few months ago. It's amazing how the mind can de-tox and look differently at things, when out from under the wheel.

I've got a guy that used to call on me at that corporation; he's about 15 years younger than me. I just noted to him, he got off the corporate rat race 6 years ago this month. The dude seems happy... I don't know how he makes it, but he does.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair