The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2024, 07:35 AM

Default Why Acoustics are the Best Guitars

Crazy coincidence today. So the past week or so I've been on an acoustic electric guitar as unplugged phase. This AM the power went out for 1:20 hours and I had nothing to do for the restoration of electricity period. I was fortunate to have made my coffee before the outage. Anyway, I sat on the couch and strummed away until the power was restored. This old Ovation Applause is the best guitar I've ever bought. And one of the main reasons was exactly this situation as for why I bought it. The electric feature was always a bonus, and the guitar at that Applause level was intended to be a campfire guitar. Originally it was my FL hurricane storm power outage option, the sun was shining for this power outage. Time to go make waffles.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:56 AM

All good logic!

I often play one of my other "electric" guitars and I have to say that I enjoy the tremendous ease of playing and the low volume, which allows me to play any time I want, even with a sleeping spouse in the next room. I have both nylon strung and steel strung lightweight solid bodies and they have set me on a further quest for the ultimate couch guitar.

As much as I love my true acoustic guitars I do like to plug in, and seeing John Smith's latest new guitar, a Fylde "Smithcaster" built by Roger Bucknell has me designing my next project!

Old 05-20-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I never fully realize my dependence on electricity until the power goes out. But when it does happen, the realization is always softened by my family of acoustic guitars.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-20-2024, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I love the clash of sounds in the box and an acoustic just seems like a real guitar. I also love the sound of Fender guitars, but they dont seem like guitars. You know, more like Guitar Hero.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:37 AM

Yes, electric guitars have an element of remote control about them. You pluck a string here and the sound comes out over there at the amp. I miss the tactile feed back of body vibrations from the guitar body.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Tacoma JM9 jumbo
-Tacoma JK50C jumbo
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-20-2024, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

No cords needed, no power needed. They can be taken anywhere and played anywhere. This is why they are also better than pianos, or most other instruments. Perfect for accompanying vocals, whether sitting in the couch, by the campfire, in the park, wherever. Very few instruments are as versatile as acoustic guitar.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Finally stopped playing in electric bands about 10 years ago.

Today, as half of an acoustic duo I can walk into an open mic with everything I need in one guitar case (including my own mic and cable because that's how some venues still roll). And that 'blues harp neck holder thing' in my other hand.

Simple feels good.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:52 AM

I agree. I love playing electric guitar but I always want to have an even better acoustic so I can play if the electricity goes out. Though right now, my electric blows away my acoustics. Saving up for a piano, then a nice acoustic in the future.

I'm actually undergoing this conundrum with pianos too. I can either buy a keyboard or I can buy an acoustic upright. If I buy the upright it's more maintenance and costs more up front, but at least I'll be able to play it regardless of electricity.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I have only one comment - get a whole house generator. I realize they are expensive, but if you live anywhere near hurricane or tornado alley, they are a must have. After Hurricane Ike we were without power for 13 days in 100+ degree heat. That was it for me. Long term power outages are common in south Texas. We have violent weather and a power grid that is not in good shape.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-20-2024, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Alternate thread title:

Why Horses are the Best Cars
Old 05-20-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
No cords needed, no power needed. They can be taken anywhere and played anywhere. This is why they are also better than pianos, or most other instruments. Perfect for accompanying vocals, whether sitting in the couch, by the campfire, in the park, wherever. Very few instruments are as versatile as acoustic guitar.
Don't forget - no amp, no pedals, no pedalboard.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:48 PM

About a month ago the power went out around 730 pm for almost 2 hours. Out came the little parlor. Not only did I get in a couple hours practice/noodling, it was in near darkness. Even better!
Old 05-21-2024, 02:31 AM

I only play acoustic even if they have a pickup installed I remove the battery so it doesn't leak and damage the guitar.
In a power outage, we have a small portable generator for necessities. To my wife, that's the modem and router so she can use her iPad.
I'm happy with the guitar.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:16 AM

I have a generator to run the house when the power goes out.

...just sayin

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-21-2024, 05:21 AM

I haven't played my Tele or Les Paul in years. Many years. The strings on them are older than a decade. I do fire the Boogie and the Prosonic and the Champ up a few times a year, so the caps don't dry up.

I just don't care about electric guitars anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion