The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Great point- I'm thinking maybe 2 to 3K at the top end? Yeah, TBL is a regular viewing at my home!
You can get a very nice guitar for that much. See what you think of the Yamaha LS26 or LL26. If you buy used you can set up to the 36 models. I got a new LS36 for just over 3. It's a keeper.

The L series guitars are versatile, responsive, loud, strong and well made. The only players I would not recommend them to are those that want the Martin sound and/or brand.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:52 AM

I can actually help! You are in Santa Barbara. There used to be a music chain called instrumental music in Santa Barbara, Ventura and Thousand Oaks. They closed the Santa Barbara and Ventura locations, but still have a store in Thousand Oaks. The store in T.O. has every 2-3k acoustic you could reasonably expect to find in a retail location. Go there and avoid the horrible traffic. They have the new Guilds, I thought the d-40 was awesome. They don’t have Larrivee or Eastman, but usually have a used example of each. There is also a new luxury guitar store nearly directly across the street, but I haven’t been.

I would go there, see what you like, then maybe take a trip down to LA or Santa Monica.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
To be frank, I don't think you need a $2k-$3k guitar yet. Maybe it's not a big deal, you've got plenty of $$, etc... but there are plenty of really good guitars under $2k that would give you a step up from where you are.

If you want to spend the money and get up into that tier, go for it. You have plenty of suggestions to sift through. Try as many as you can in person to figure out what works best for you. Every person is different, as is every guitar.
I agree with this 100%
Old 05-12-2024, 10:16 AM

When I "stepped up" to my first good guitar in '75 it was a Martin D-18. Still have it. Having a really good guitar got me playing regularly & kept me going even after a break or two along the way. If you really want to get better at playing & think you'll stick to it, "stepping up" to a very good guitar will get you there faster & keep you there longer. You won't regret it!

Frank
Old 05-12-2024, 10:54 AM

I wouldn't a priori choose to shop at a price point if I was shopping for a more satisfying guitar. I'd recognize that in the passage of time the market has changed drastically for the better. I'd stick to major manufacturers and work up the food chain starting at the bottom. That Yamaha or Eastman or Guild or Seagull may be just what the doctor ordered. And sticking with the names I mentioned, or your own list of names, but somebody's list of names, will keep a dizzying number of choices under some kind of control.

And please ignore the well-meaning but distracting buy-this-one-I-like advice. You're buying a guitar for yourself and your own judgement trumps everyone else's suggestions.

And shop in person, hands-on.

edited: And I don't think that the idea of 'spend as much as you possibly can' makes any sense. There is not a strong correlation between price and satisfaction.

Last edited by phavriluk; 05-12-2024 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added text
Old 05-12-2024, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

A J-45 or a D-18 would be a good place to start as it sounds like you’re into strumming more than finger picking. If you like to sit on the couch or a chair and play, then perhaps a 000-18 or an OM might work. Also don’t forget about Larrivee. Check Daves Guitar. They have some lightly used Larrivee acoustics for good prices. The OM-40R is a particularly nice Larrivee that can be had for a lot less than a Gibson or Martin.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-12-2024, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post

And shop in person, hands-on.
That's sound advice.

I've only purchased one guitar sight-unseen, an Eastman AC422CE that I ordered (prepaid) through a local music shop with a 3-4 month supply chain delay at the peak of the plague.

Only agreed to go that route after the store owner emailed me a full money-back guarantee if the guitar showed up and I didn't love it. Turns out it's a fine keeper.

The point is, what if it wasn't? In that case, when an online purchase refund happens to be an option is a disappointed buyer obliged to cover return shipping? Or perhaps keep it and wrestle with nagging equivocation... "Well, I suppose it's not THAT bad."

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-13-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:05 PM

my favorite all-rounder is a Martin 000-18 -- easy player, sounds balanced, records extremely well & sounds good live with K&K pickup / RedEye preamp. Mine is recent vintage "reimagined." Lives in open E with a light gauge set without incident.

But the real answer is just to go out & play a bunch of guitars. I knew in ten minutes that the 000 was coming home with me.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I think you should spend however much you can spend to get the very best guitar you can get. I say the same thing to everyone, beginners or pros. A great guitar will inspire you to pick it up more often.

$2-$3k is a good place to be.

As a long time traveling live performer, I’ve always found Gibson, Guild, Taylor, Yamaha, and Alvarez to be solid built instruments that can weather the storms…And there are others, obviously, but those really stand out in my experience. Everyone has different experiences, so YMMV.

Welcome to the forum and good luck! Check back in if you get a chance and let us know where you landed in your search. Until then, happy hunting!
Old 05-12-2024, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
To be frank, I don't think you need a $2k-$3k guitar yet. Maybe it's not a big deal, you've got plenty of $$, etc... but there are plenty of really good guitars under $2k that would give you a step up from where you are.

If you want to spend the money and get up into that tier, go for it. You have plenty of suggestions to sift through. Try as many as you can in person to figure out what works best for you. Every person is different, as is every guitar.
No, you don't have to, but buy a $1200-1500 guitar and in the blink of an eye, you will want to buy a D 18 or some such. That $1200 guitar will be lucky to net $800 if you are lucky. Buy a two or there year old D 18 for $2000 and it will never be worth less. If you have the money, you won't regret buying the better guitar. Better guitar equals wanting to pay more equals getting better sooner.

Buying a $1500 guitar is fine if that is all you have. Good guitars in that range.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-12-2024, 05:19 PM

I'm trying to separate the discussion on instruments from the materiali$tic comments - - - $pend! $pend! $pend! you'll be happier! I think the instrument needs to satisfy and inspire. There's no dollar signs on that.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
No, you don't have to, but buy a $1200-1500 guitar and in the blink of an eye, you will want to buy a D 18 or some such. That $1200 guitar will be lucky to net $800 if you are lucky. Buy a two or there year old D 18 for $2000 and it will never be worth less. If you have the money, you won't regret buying the better guitar. Better guitar equals wanting to pay more equals getting better sooner.

Buying a $1500 guitar is fine if that is all you have. Good guitars in that range.
I couldn't disagree with this more. If you're a collector 1st and musician 2nd, you'll be more concerned with the cost. If music is really what you're concerned with, you won't care what it says on the headstock. Play a bunch of instruments and find out what you like.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I was late in life to the guitar game... and I picked up a Fender Paramount and I've learned enough to make a public spectacle of myself with it! ... Any recommendations about what I might look for and go try out will be appreciated. Thanks!
I am more or less in your shoes although as a sprightly 61 year old I veer more towards that modern grungy stuff
Mine is an Alvarez MD60BG and if I were to upgrade I would go for a Yamaha FG(X)5, the Martin 16 special style rosewood MF/GC special order, or save up and splurge on a Yairi DYM60.
I am not familiar with the Eastmans etc that others have mentioned, I would certainly want to test drive some of those.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:58 PM

It's sometimes the case that we get so immersed in shopping and gear that we don't PLAY THE THING.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion