The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2024, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Rechargeable batteries hold their voltage and usually do not fade over time. But when they die, it’s usually quite fast. And if you do not discharge them ENOUGH they begin to degrade and not hold the charge as long….
They work, but….
Rechargeable batteries are much better than they used to be regarding gaining a "memory" from not fully discharging before being recharged. But, you are correct that they will eventually degrade if not allowed to properly discharge before recharging. That is another one of the reasons I was looking for information. I'm not trying to wring every last minute out of my batteries, but I also don't want to shorten their overall life by recharging before they're ready. I'm pretty sure I'm committed to using the rechargeables at this point, but I really want to know all I can about them so I can use them more effectively.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-09-2024, 12:06 PM

Great stuff.

As we all know, alkaline batteries can and do leak when they go dead.
Is it true that so-called “heavy duty” (non-alkaline, non-rechargeable) batteries do not?
Ikingston, is this what you mean by “long life” batteries, or do you mean higher grade alkalines?

I keep a Li 9v battery in my J45 because the storage life of Li batteries is very long. Maybe I should rethink.

Thanks, _RP
Old 05-09-2024, 06:56 PM

Default 9v

Best place to get authoritative answer to your question is to call the electrical engineering dept. of a local university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I'm using my ES2

equipped Taylors for almost all my gigs now. I like to make sure I'm always using a strong fresh battery for gigs so I bought some rechargeable 9 volt batteries. My battery tester has a rechargeable setting but it doesn't read them like it does standard alkaline batteries and show the percentage of charge remaining. So this is where ol Mick needs some learnin' from you experienced guys. How do you test these batteries and how do you know when you need to swap one for a freshly charged one? I'm pretty experienced with using electronics, but you may need to spell this stuff out in red crayon for me until I get it in my head.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:04 AM

Default Ansmann Powerline 2

I have two Ansmann 9v 300mha rechargeable batteries with an accompanying Ansmann Powerline 2 charger for 9v batteries. It has the auto cut off when it reaches full charge (like the AA etc chargers). I have used them for a Boss footswitch and they are fine. I have yet to use them in a guitar (I had a load of Duracell 9v batteries that I was working through first .. down to my last one now) but I would think they would be fine in the guitar.

The rub? Aye, there's always one. I did try one of the batteries in a chorus pedal a year or so back (it was a cheapo - behringer I think) and for some reason it didn't have the ooomph to power it: I had to use a non rechargeable 9v battery. I think one of your respondees mentioned something about this (number of cells in the battery).

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 05-10-2024, 06:09 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Having said all that, I tend to use regular (long life) 9v batteries in my guitars that use them and just play until I hear that tiny bit of tell tale distortion. Disposable batteries make sense in devices that have very low current drain (like acoustic guitar preamps) and that sit around for a while between uses. You might play your guitar acoustically every day, but you probably only plug it in occasionally. This is the perfect use case for long life high quality 9v batteries.

At the end of their life you can throw them in the trash. They are no worse than other trash, and if you take them to be recycled, they will just separate them there and throw them into the trash anyway.

If I was playing every night, I would use a high quality rechargeable. I would start out with the regular 7.2 battery and only go to a higher voltage if I needed to. If I was using a Boss pedal, I would use an 8.4v rechargeable in that.
Wonderful review.

Rechargeable batteries hold fewer MaHs. Far fewer.

The distortion from low batteries can be the 7 volt min. required to run an integrated circuit component, used as Op amps in most preamps.

In my shop I go through a lot of batteries. You can get 9 volts for $2 on Amazon. I have a source for $1.

Is it worth the hassle of charging batteries?

https://www.tenspros.com/tens-cell-h...BoCiloQAvD_BwE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification