The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapping View Post
YI think what you are saying is that for real stereo effect, I shouldn't split the 2 inputs hard 250hz but instead just roll off the lowest lows on lyric or mic and high highs on SBT leaving the mids on both?
Well, I'd just say that in stereo having all bass on one side and all treble on the other will be a bit weird. That's not what we normally expect from stereo. Of course, it might just be the sound you want

You'll actually get a pretty dramatic stereo in many cases from just using two pickups, panning one left (full spectrum) and the other right. The differences in frequency response and attack often produce a very wide, exaggerated stereo that can be rather pleasant-sounding. It's not so useful live, since half of the audience will hear one pickup, and the other half will hear the other. But for playing at home, it might be fun.

You can also just run something like the #54 in stereo (I think I have some samples of that on my pickup test page). In theory, you'd get low strings in one speaker, high strings in the other, but there's a lot of bleed between the sensors, so it's not that extreme, and ends up being a fairly realistic stereo.

You can also do the same kind of thing with a mic+pickup. For example, check out the review of the Orange preamp I did some years back. The opening lick is using a Dazzo in the guitar, and a mic (external), with each hard panned to each side. Again, not so practical for live performance, but, it's a big sound, due to the differences between the mic and pickup timing and response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification