The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Anyone ever try Tortis picks? + Light picks vs Heavy

I recently made it a goal to get out of my light picks rut. I used to use the Dunlop Orange ones, .60 I think, and after getting into recording and listening to myself closely, I realized I was getting a lot of pick noise and not as much control as I would have liked. Sooo I went on a quest to find a better pick, and, to make a long story short, I recently forked out the $20 for a Tortis pick.

So far I like it a lot... I got the "light" version... which is really pretty heavy at about 1.0, and it's a very stiff pick so it feels even thicker than it is. So far I really like it though... I'm still getting used to it and teaching myself to get the relaxed strumming sound with a stiff pick, but I like the results. Anyone have a similar experience?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:12 PM

i've been test driving a wegen bluegrass pick (1.4mm) recently. EXTREMELY stiff & thick compared to what i'm used to. so, the jury is still out.....altho' i'm trying to give it a fair trial before jumping to conclusions.

david
Old 01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetubetone
I recently made it a goal to get out of my light picks rut. I used to use the Dunlop Orange ones, .60 I think, and after getting into recording and listening to myself closely, I realized I was getting a lot of pick noise and not as much control as I would have liked. Sooo I went on a quest to find a better pick, and, to make a long story short, I recently forked out the $20 for a Tortis pick.

So far I like it a lot... I got the "light" version... which is really pretty heavy at about 1.0, and it's a very stiff pick so it feels even thicker than it is. So far I really like it though... I'm still getting used to it and teaching myself to get the relaxed strumming sound with a stiff pick, but I like the results. Anyone have a similar experience?
I love mine. I got the "light" version too, but I haven't found it difficult to use in the least, as the end taper is amazing. And yes, it really is just like the tortoise pick my dad used to have. Someone finally came up with a "real" synthetic.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 PM

Update--- I just let my former instructor and long time musician play it... he says it's exactly how he remembers his old Tortoise shell picks... and he proceeded to order a few for himself.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:39 PM

I don't know how people use the really thick picks (1mm+) on acoustic. To me, they generate a ton of pick noise, but of a different variety than the light picks. I finally ended up using Dunlop Nylon .88's, much to my surprise.

My experience (and I'm sure many will have their own stories) is that the pick has to be able to flex just a bit and be of a somewhat softer material (regardless of the thickness) to minimize pick noise. Picking technique has a lot to do with it also, but I found that trying to get a "bowing" feeling when picking really helped kill the clickity pick attack sound.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:23 PM

Heavy picks are great for bluegrass music since there tends to be a lot more runs and less strumming. $20 is really expensive for faux tortoise shell, but it sounds like the quality makes up for it. I've never used them myself.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:45 PM
heros57

Default Picks

Nothing like a good tortise pick.Better tone,and easier to hold on to. The fake ones are something I've never tried.I paid anywhere from 15 to 30 bucks for real ones.The last time I checked they had gone up on price to 30 bucks for a tear shape and 50 bucks for a large 3 point. I'm glad I don't need any.. .......Don
Old 01-21-2005, 01:49 PM

From what I understand, these aren't actually "faux" tortoise shell. The material is actually "grown" as opposed to manufactured like a plastic. So technically, it's not fake tortoise, it's artificial tortoise shell.

Explains not only the similarity to real tortoise shell, but also the stratospheric sticker price.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 01-21-2005, 02:01 PM
heros57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
From what I understand, these aren't actually "faux" tortoise shell. The material is actually "grown" as opposed to manufactured like a plastic. So technically, it's not fake tortoise, it's artificial tortoise shell.

Explains not only the similarity to real tortoise shell, but also the stratospheric sticker price.
Where do you get um? If it is just like the real deal,but eaiser to come by,,given time they will probably get cheaper.......D
Old 01-21-2005, 02:25 PM

I got mine at Maury's Music:

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=118

Elderly Instrument carries them also.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/i...ORTB-SPB-M.htm

Made by luthier John Greven... check out his web site.

http://www.grevenguitars.com/

Rodger
Old 01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I would have thought badly of the "thick pick" syndrome, because plastic is definitely that way. However, tortoise (and tor-tis, which yes, is grown as a protein based substitute for tortoise, which is pretty amazing in and of itself) slides over the strings in a way that plastic and nylon can't. For instance, I've never been able to tolerate anything thicker than a .73 nylon Dunlop... but these are easier to use, more expressive, give less pick noise and with the "speed pick" bevel on them, which is an option, I find that they actually are smoother and easier to use with less pick noise, than any I've tried since I lost an old tortoise pick many years ago.

So although when I hold a 1mm dunlop or plastic pick I feel like I'm holding a slab of concrete, these actually feel wonderful. Frankly, I was surprised.

Take care,

Wade

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 01-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Haven't tried Tortis, but do have several Tortoise 3-point jazz picks that I keep a very close eye on.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 01-22-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm7b5
Haven't tried Tortis, but do have several Tortoise 3-point jazz picks that I keep a very close eye on.
You should try one out and make a comparison!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:10 PM

FYI.
Those picks are cut and distributed by Dave S. the creater of the 13th fret and Flatpickin forum's.
http://www.13thfret.com/cgi-bin/futureforum.cgi
http://www.flatpickin.com/forum/view...098231ae028bb8

His company is called Red Bear Trading Company

Taylor 314ce w/ imix
Cordoba C10 Cedar/IRW
CA Bluegrass Performer w/ kk pure mini
Taylor Baby
Heritage Golden Eagle w/ Kent Armstrong PAF
Collings City Limits
Collings i35lc
Suhr S1
SVL 61 Reserve
Acoustic Image Clarus 2r
Raezers edge NY8
Supro 1600 Supreme
Fuchs ODS bassman mod
Glaswerks 1x12xl w/ celestion 12-65

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification