The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-11-2021, 02:50 PM

Default Zero Glide for classical guitars

About a year ago I transitioned over to "string tie" beads.. Really like them. I also purchased a set of 1/8" pearl white fret dots to put on one of my guitars that didn't have them... Glad I did, they do come in handy. The nice thing about these puppies is that they can be removed without damaging the neck of the guitar.

I have recently come across Rosette Guitar Products "Zero Glide" fret system for classical guitars... For a few years this type of NUT system has been available for steel string acoustic and electric guitars. And just recently the system is now being produced for classical guitars...

https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.co...assical-guitar

My question(s)

1) Has anyone here installed them on their guitars(high-end or low-end models)?

2) Did you notice any difference in tonality of open strings when you barre?

3) Were you able to lower your action and did you experience any difference in play-ability (fret hand wise)?

4) Any fret buzz?

Any info greatly appreciated

1996 Burguet Studio 2M Cedar/Rosewood (650mm/52mm)
2018 Cordoba Luthier Series C10 Parlor Cedar/Rosewood (630mm/50mm)
1996 DeArmond M75 Les Paul (Moon Blue) DeArmond (USA) Gold Tone Humbuckers
1995 Godin/Seagull S6 Spruce
2019 Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II Pro (Natural)
Old 07-11-2021, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

It used to be that zero frets were primarily found on cheap guitars. But a number of years ago they seem to have been re-discovered and placed in use for some high end guitars. I have had several zero fret instruments and found that they seemed to enable a lower action and I never had problems with fret buzz. I think this was once a subject of interest on the Carbon Fiber thread.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:49 PM

See this - https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...ic.php?t=49669

Have not tried it personally, as I like my action relatively high, and don’t yet know how to play flamenco…
Old 07-12-2021, 09:32 AM

If the playability improves after installing the zero fret then it's an idication that the nut of your guitar was not set up properly. Because if it was then you would not notice a difference. The slots of a nut should be set to the samd height of the fret in front of it. Sometimes you make the bass strings a tad bit higher.

You might notice a difference in tone though. The zero fret being made of fretwire would in theory have the same tone as the fretted notes.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
If the playability improves after installing the zero fret then it's an idication that the nut of your guitar was not set up properly. Because if it was then you would not notice a difference. The slots of a nut should be set to the samd height of the fret in front of it. Sometimes you make the bass strings a tad bit higher.

You might notice a difference in tone though. The zero fret being made of fretwire would in theory have the same tone as the fretted notes.
I brought up this question on using the Zero Fret because Rosette, the company selling the product says adding the "Zero Glide" allows guitarists to lower the action, that it also aids in tuning your strings and that the open string notes (EADGBE) have a somewhat cleaner sound, similar to playing those notes with a capo. here is link to Rosettes' description of the product:

https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.co...assical-guitar

I was wondering if it might resolve the "dreaded" "muddy" G-string

I have owned some nice classical and flamenco guitars in the past and have always wondered why the "G" string always seems to sound "duddy", "muddy" and not as resonant as the other strings. And I have strung my guitars with various brands over the years. Some sets costing as much as $40 and still that darned "G" string sounds like a "stepchild" compared to the other strings.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
...Rosette...says adding the "Zero Glide" allows guitarists to lower the action, that it also aids in tuning your strings and that the open string notes (EADGBE) have a somewhat cleaner sound, similar to playing those notes with a capo.
Marketing.

Quote:
I was wondering if it might resolve the "dreaded" "muddy" G-string
Why would it?

The nut or zero fret have influence only on the open string. Once you depress a string against any fret, the nut or zero fret are (almost) irrelevant.

The G string has a different timbre than the other strings due in part to its combination of diameter and tension: it is the largest diameter string - the cores of the wound strings are smaller, as are the unwound B and E strings. For example, if you want a different sound, take a low tension wound D string and tune it up to G for your third string. It will have a different timbre than the unwound G string.

One of the goals of Schneider/Kasha classical guitars was to eliminate the difference in timbre between strings. Specifically, to eliminate the "brash", "bell-like" tone of the high e string and the "sonorous" sound of the bass E string, effectively making the entire instrument have a single timbre, like the "fullness"/"mellowness" of the G string. That sound was not well-received by many classical guitar players as it looses the characteristic sound that most associate with a classical guitar.

In some cases, one fingers certain notes on the G string in order to specifically obtain the timbre/mellowness/fullness that the G string provides, rather than play the same pitches on higher strings at lower frets. It is part of the nature of the instrument, which can be taken advantage of, or not.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:50 AM

> still that darned "G" string sounds like a "stepchild" compared to the other strings <

Nature of the beast, in large part, but a carbon third string can help quite a bit.
I like the Knobloch Actives CX medium (so I tout it, over and over).

Old 07-14-2021, 11:57 AM
Guest 928

I think that zero frets can allow a lower action. With my previous zero fret guitars I've felt that the primary advantage was eliminating the variability of nut adjustments. I tend to think that it's a good thing to have the strings all start out at an equal distance from the board. Nuts can wear and alter the start point.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:57 AM

Don't go directly to the manufacturers site of anything you want to buy for information about the product because it will ALWAYS be the best product available with wild claims that it does this and that. Of course reviews and forums are just 'opinions' too but both Charles and I have experience in this stuff so you are getting advice from experience. The only claim that I would agree with that they make is that it might even the timber of the notes from open to fretted. But even that is almost like trying to hear the difference between a bone nut or one made from Tusq. IOW you pretty much can't.

The claim that it lowers your action at the nut would be true if the nut was not set up properly which is the case in probably 90% of all guitars out there. So there could be some truth to that, depending.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:42 PM

Talking zero glide

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry...

The nut on my guitar is bone and the action is perfect. the reason for the inquiry was whether or not this "zero glide" might help eliminate the clarity issue of the poor "stepchild" G string.

Since I like the action on my guitar, I think I will take a more standard approach. I will purchase a half set of Carbon / Composite of treble strings, D'Addario sells a half set with a composite G and B string. The E strings is a standard nylon.

I have also ordered a single Titanium "G" to see if this might address the dull standard nylon.

All in all this experiment might work and in the long run it is still less expensive than replacing the nut and adding the glide with it's added fret.

So first the Titanium G, simple to swap out. If that doesn't work, the half set with the composite G and B strings.

Again thanks to all who took the time to read and reply.

Peace Out )= and Party on
Old 07-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Guest 928

Always;

Good on you. Taking it slow, doing your research, starting with the simple and easy. I look forward to hearing the results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical