The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-25-2021, 08:58 PM

The last system I built was in the bottom of my old tall black glass tubes using the 123's (white woofers/L-100's), with the 375 horn driver w. short horn/lens, and 075 tweeters under slant plates.

The one's before those were a tall version (5.7 cf) of the L-300's using the 15" 136 h's with passive radiators, the 375 w short horn/lens, and 075's with slant plates. Those sounded better than the L-300's! The highs were at ear level when seated.

Before those were a bunch of crazy systems/cabs w. giant horns/lens (hl89), dual 124 h 12' woofers that I spent all my money on....
Old 06-25-2021, 09:08 PM

Forgot to mention I still have a pair of 4310's that have been just sitting around collecting dust with me being too lazy to get some electronics to drive them. Haha
Old 06-29-2021, 04:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Forgot to mention I still have a pair of 4310's that have been just sitting around collecting dust with me being too lazy to get some electronics to drive them. Haha
An embarrassment of riches!

It doesn't take much to drive those, but style counts for something!

HE
Old 06-29-2021, 07:19 AM

Howard, I'm curious as to how you treated the bruised corners and edges before applying the veneer. Did you plane them down, or apply a filler?

best,

Rick
Old 06-29-2021, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Howard, I'm curious as to how you treated the bruised corners and edges before applying the veneer. Did you plane them down, or apply a filler?

best,

Rick
Hi Rick,
I used a auto body filler as needed, and several times wherever whatever would rear its dented, banged-up self.

Fortunately Klipsch used a very good quality plywood, so voids were not an issue.

Here's a particularly hacked up corner with its slathering:

It sands really easily, holds a crisp corner, but it is rather fragile, so I was cautious all the time.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 06-29-2021, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

best,

Rick
PS,
I did improve upon their Velcro system for the grill cloth panel. I used magnets!

HE
Old 06-29-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
An embarrassment of riches!

It doesn't take much to drive those, but style counts for something!

HE

Riches? Not even close Howard. If I ever get over my laziness, I will just get a semi cheap receiver and call it a day.

Btw, You're lucky you can use a flat grill on yours. My systems always had a slant plate that stuck out about 2.5 in. from the baffle board, forcing me to build a three dimensional grill. They were a pain! Looked cool though.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Riches? Not even close Howard. If I ever get over my laziness, I will just get a semi cheap receiver and call it a day.

Btw, You're lucky you can use a flat grill on yours. My systems always had a slant plate that stuck out about 2.5 in. from the baffle board, forcing me to build a three dimensional grill. They were a pain! Looked cool though.
I think you could do very well with a Marantz 2240, 2245 or Sony STR-7065 without breaking the bank. There's a bunch of good stuff for sale in California at any given time. The nice thing about those units is that the pre amp section can be isolated from the amp section with a switch, if you feel like using a pair of powered speakers.

HE
Old 07-02-2021, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the tips Howard. It's going to be hard stepping down to low powered receivers. In the late 70's until the mid 2000's I had a Marantz 240 M amp with a 3600 preamp, 128 w per side, and for the FM I used a 70's Marantz receiver. I can't remember model #, but by it's self it put out 75 w per side.

I remember trying the Marantz receiver standing alone, and it wasn't even close to the 240/3600. What ever receiver I get is going the be a big step down from what I had. I was rear ended in 05 and had to sell most everything near and dear.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default UPDATED:Companion Piece Project

We have pictures......

This piece I saw gave me an idea...

.....and so I began......

...and of course....

...and then....

....to finish the thought.....

....with the basic premise being.....

In a little while everything will be walked upstairs to the atrium where I have pictured (in my mind) that it will look perfect, and hopefully sound half as good as it looks sitting on my makeshift basement bench:-)

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 07-13-2021, 04:28 AM

Howard - time to veneer the matching guitar!
Old 07-13-2021, 04:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Howard - time to veneer the matching guitar!
Whew.......I thought you were going to say it was time to veneer the Sony.......

:-)

HE
Old 07-13-2021, 04:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Howard, I wish I could get you to veneer these upper speakers for me:

They are my dream speakers, UREI 811C studio monitors, but ugly as sin. Nothing screams SANSUI like those tweeters. But they have the smoothest midrange of any speaker I've heard. They chose the 15" drivers for their efficiency. These were built after JBL purchased the company. There are dowel holes in the front face for a grille to be fitted.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-13-2021, 05:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Howard, I wish I could get you to veneer these upper speakers for me:

They are my dream speakers, UREI 811C studio monitors, but ugly as sin. Nothing screams SANSUI like those tweeters. But they have the smoothest midrange of any speaker I've heard. They chose the 15" drivers for their efficiency. These were built after JBL purchased the company. There are dowel holes in the front face for a grille to be fitted.

Bob
Hi Bob,
Ah yes, I remember Urei monitors in Studio 1 in Doraville, GA (Yes, THAT Doraville, home of the Atlanta Rhythm Section).

They are great speakers!

I assume the 'grill' is a deep box affair in order to cover everything? If you were not going to bother with the grill, they look very easy to veneer.

I think you're just having a Pipe Dream, but maybe I'm just loving their industrial presence and the reminder of days gone by sitting in the Studio 1 control room listening to Barry Bailey play 'Ernestine' with a Scully 8 track whirring behind me while I gaped.......

HE
Old 07-13-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Whew.......I thought you were going to say it was time to veneer the Sony.......

:-)

HE
Now That’s funny!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN