The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2021, 10:13 AM

Default Talk me off of a ledge with jazz guitar

So I have flirted with jazz guitar for about 12-15 years now, never fully expanding my skills beyond some really cool chords, some gypsy jazz rhythms, and a few licks. I’ve often found a lot of archtops difficult to play because of size of body or scale length. Not blaming the guitar, but it’s a factor.

Now I think I found a guitar that will work. But, have to convince the wife to let me purchase it and it’s about 1200 bucks. Is this just a fool’s pursuit to thinking that this guitar will actually help me transcend into playing more jazz? Either talk me off the ledge or convince me I’m doing the right thing! 😊
Old 03-19-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Go for it (if your wife concedes). Do you have any other guitars you can sell to help fund it?
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-19-2021, 10:19 AM

If you can afford it and it will inspire you why not?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-19-2021, 10:23 AM

I wrestled with the same question, and the solution is easy. Buy the Eastman AR805 archtop in the classifieds, it's in that range. I just bought one used and love it. I can't play jazz for [censored], but I'm now learning some simple chord melody stuff on it. Meanwhile it's great for pretty much everything I play except hard strumming. It takes a bit more focus than a flat top but it's worth it, I love it for roots fingerstyle, channeling Dave Rawlings, and being the coolest person in the room.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Twice during my 'playing' career I've seriously dived into the jazz guitar world (each with a pro teacher, and each time for a period of 3 - 5 years). I've been away from it for about 4 years now, and decided a few weeks ago it's time to jump back in again. (I have a Mark Campellone archtop, so gear isn't an issue for me).

One question to ask yourself is how often do you listen to jazz, especially jazz guitar? If it's something you enjoy on a regular basis, I'd say go for it. I've found it to be a demanding endeavor, though. Improvising -- really the heart of jazz -- requires a pretty solid theoretical knowledge base. (I'm currently in the process of reviewing and re-learning everything I've forgotten over the past few years, which is a lot.) Solid reading skills are important as well, something I've gotten rusty at.

There are a few jazz players here on the AGF that I recognize from the Jazz Guitar Forum. That's also a great place to pick up some tips, and even lessons.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:41 AM

I'm going to throw out another variable for you: get an Epiphone semi hollow body or even a Les Paul.

Both can be used for jazz. In fact, even a telecaster can make a good jazz guitar:

Note - the intro is 3 minutes long.

Take the money you save versus the $1200 and put it towards jazz specific lessons. Best investment ever. If you spent $450 on guitar, that gives you $750 to use on lessons. If you pay $25 per lesson (what I pay for upright bass), that gives you 30 weeks of lessons.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dude View Post
Take the money you save versus the $1200 and put it towards jazz specific lessons. Best investment ever.
I'd go one step further and say, skip buying a new guitar and put all of the money towards lessons. You can play jazz on just about any guitar, if you know how to play jazz. If you don't know how to play jazz, what guitar you play won't change that. Spend the money on lessons.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'd go one step further and say, skip buying a new guitar and put all of the money towards lessons. You can play jazz on just about any guitar, if you know how to play jazz. If you don't know how to play jazz, what guitar you play won't change that. Spend the money on lessons.
Yes!! This is so true. You could probably play jazz on a tin can with rubber bands strung on.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:31 AM

I bought a '59 Gibson ES125T a couple years back and love it. I play it acoustic most of the time, but it has a sweet tone plugged in at living room levels. It has a 1 3/4 nut, and I can play finger style on it also, feels more like an acoustic than an electric. It has definitely fueled my jazzy blues leanings, I'm all over Kenny Burrell stuff, Midnight Blue, Chitlins con Carne, etc. Love having it along with my everyday acoustics.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 03-19-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
As stated, just about any guitar will work for jazz so it's more the player. Get the lessons and if you don't have a Tele, find a second hand one to play. You don't need an archtop. I've got a Tele and an Epi ES-339 and they are both fun to play but lots of great jazz has been done on Tele's.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I bought a '59 Gibson ES125T a couple years back and love it. I play it acoustic most of the time, but it has a sweet tone plugged in at living room levels. It has a 1 3/4 nut, and I can play finger style on it also, feels more like an acoustic than an electric. It has definitely fueled my jazzy blues leanings, I'm all over Kenny Burrell stuff, Midnight Blue, Chitlins con Carne, etc. Love having it along with my everyday acoustics.
I have one of these old ES125's as well, a 1950. Even though they are a pressed maple archtop, they sound surprisingly good unplugged, strung with monel strings. Plugged in, with that old P-90? Heaven.

I found mine at a Guitar Center and spent around $1200, shipped. Big neck, short scale. Just a lot of fun to play.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 03-19-2021, 12:01 PM

Agree that while it is true that you can play jazz on any guitar, you'll want flat wound strings to get the sound and feel you'll be looking for the most.

A modestly priced jazz box makes a bit of sense to me if you're really committed to continue down the road.

it's the same conundrum of you're looking to expand in to realms of classical guitar.. Steel strings wont do it, and putting nylons on a steel string wont work either

Guitars are like expensive paint brushes. Sometimes, one don't do what another will.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
So I have flirted with jazz guitar for about 12-15 years now, never fully expanding my skills beyond some really cool chords, some gypsy jazz rhythms, and a few licks. I’ve often found a lot of archtops difficult to play because of size of body or scale length. Not blaming the guitar, but it’s a factor.

Now I think I found a guitar that will work. But, have to convince the wife to let me purchase it and it’s about 1200 bucks. Is this just a fool’s pursuit to thinking that this guitar will actually help me transcend into playing more jazz? Either talk me off the ledge or convince me I’m doing the right thing! 😊
Hi garth-j-moore…

Don't do it…you'll hate yourself later.

Go ahead and clear it with the wife…you'll be ecstatic later on.

You pick…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-19-2021, 01:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc1 View Post
Yes!! This is so true. You could probably play jazz on a tin can with rubber bands strung on.
I prefer using gut - more thumpy and not as bright as rubber bands.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Agree that while it is true that you can play jazz on any guitar, you'll want flat wound strings to get the sound and feel you'll be looking for the most.

A modestly priced jazz box makes a bit of sense to me if you're really committed to continue down the road.

it's the same conundrum of you're looking to expand in to realms of classical guitar.. Steel strings wont do it, and putting nylons on a steel string wont work either

Guitars are like expensive paint brushes. Sometimes, one don't do what another will.

Good luck with the hunt!
Not even flat wounds - ground wound (half wound) strings can also do the trick if you don’t want to go all the way to flat.

The Gretsch New Yorker comes with them, and it would actually make for a fairly inexpensive foray into jazz guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
archtop guitar, jazz, playing the guitar