The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Guest 928

Yo;

Different experience must lead to different conclusions. It's true that I was not exactly rigorous in my humidifying/temperature duties. But experience tells me that rigorous elements can have rigorous consequences.

For example, a friend with a Martin went from the mountains to the coast of California. He humidified, but his guitar revolted and split down the face.

My play has been in some extreme environments, from 10 to a 100 degrees. In one of the cold spells we were playing around a wood stove--that's when my father-in-law's guitar gave up the ghost.

I suspect I've been dumber than you in the care and feeding of a guitar. I suppose that's one reason I really like carbon fiber guitars.

I do have to admit, I like the character of the well-used guitar in your photos.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM

Everyone needs a trigger. Sometimes it's a horse. Sometimes it's a guitar. Mine just happens to be CF.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yo;

My play has been in some extreme environments, from 10 to a 100 degrees. In one of the cold spells we were playing around a wood stove--that's when my father-in-law's guitar gave up the ghost.

I suspect I've been dumber than you in the care and feeding of a guitar. I suppose that's one reason I really like carbon fiber guitars.

I do have to admit, I like the character of the well-used guitar in your photos.
It’s not about smart or dumb. It’s just about being careful.

A woodstove probably dries that place out quite a bit. I would imagine keeping the guitar in the case with not being played and keeping sponges moist would be paramount in that situation.

Having something to check the room and case humidity is important as well. It’s easy to forget and neglect those things, so I understand people that want a carbon fiber guitar

Many of them have a very nice sound, but some of them sound very thin to me. That however is true of wood in the guitars as well. If they ever make a carbon fiber guitar that sounds like my vintage J 45, I’ll be in the market for one.

Until then, it will be cases, sponges, and room humidifiers. Play what inspires you.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 AM

I don't think I have seen two J 45s together that sound the same as the other. I suspect you might be blown away by an Emerald X30. It looks a bit different though.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
It’s not about smart or dumb. It’s just about being careful.

A woodstove probably dries that place out quite a bit. I would imagine keeping the guitar in the case with not being played and keeping sponges moist would be paramount in that situation.

Having something to check the room and case humidity is important as well. It’s easy to forget and neglect those things, so I understand people that want a carbon fiber guitar

Many of them have a very nice sound, but some of them sound very thin to me. That however is true of wood in the guitars as well. If they ever make a carbon fiber guitar that sounds like my vintage J 45, I’ll be in the market for one.

Until then, it will be cases, sponges, and room humidifiers. Play what inspires you.
I hear you and know exactly what you're saying. If you had to ask me 10 years ago would I sell off a bunch of wood guitars for carbon fiber alternatives I would have a few choice words wink wink. A lot of earlier iterations of carbon guitars were very thin sounding I agree. They evolved a lot over the years and those Emeralds are one example of a remarkable carbon fiber guitar. I have 2 and couldn't be happier. I have one wooden guitar left, a Gibson dread, I hope to keep it I really do it's an awesome guitar but it spends most of its time in the case now which is a shame.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I don't think I have seen two J 45s together that sound the same as the other. I suspect you might be blown away by an Emerald X30. It looks a bit different though.
They've been pretty consistent, but there are still gems, dogs, and everything in between. My 2016 is a gem, but it can't touch my 1952. That one is exceptional.

The CF's that I've played have all had a "new" guitar sound to me. Nothing wrong with that, but my 2016 sounds better and better as time goes on, and the '52 is probably as good as it's going to get, but it's perfect IMO.

From what I've read, CF's sound the same throughout their lifespan. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it sounds good out of the gate. They also felt new too me too, and there's something I like about a well broken in guitar.

I'd love to try an X20 or X30. They're beautiful looking guitars. I just have to find one to try. I'm open minded. It would take a lot to for me to get rid of my '52 though.

I guess what kind of triggers me about the whole CF sub forums is the subsequent hyperbole that comes in some discussions. Mainly, those claiming to have sold off their high end wood guitars to switch over to CF because it's so superior, or the ones that allude to the fact that a particular gig couldn't be done with an all wood guitar.

That's about it.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I'd love to try an X20 or X30. They're beautiful looking guitars. I just have to find one to try. I'm open minded. It would take a lot to for me to get rid of my '52 though.

I guess what kind of triggers me about the whole CF sub forums is the subsequent hyperbole that comes in some discussions. Mainly, those claiming to have sold off their high end wood guitars to switch over to CF because it's so superior, or the ones that allude to the fact that a particular gig couldn't be done with an all wood guitar.

That's about it.
I would think that '52 is a lifetime heirloom ! There may be posts saying that they think CF is superior, but most I have read claim ease of maintenance and being able to leave them out when adding CF to the stable. I think the majority of us LOVE wood and CF guitars and are smart enough NOT to say one is superior over the other. It's not a either or for most of us. My best guitar is a SCGC D12, but my most played guitar is my Emerald X7. Just like your '52, it would take an act of congress to get me to let that SCGC go. Try a bunch of CF guitars and let us know what you think, your opinion is valued. We are not a bunch of CF guitars or nothing people in this forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber