The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Rain Song CH-WS1000NS - Review?

Still searching for my ideal 12 fret. A local shop has a promotion and I can get one of these for 15% off the street price.

If you own one, please let me know what you think of it. In what types of settings do you use it (club gigs, practice, recording, accompany vocals, solos, etc.).

I will try it today or tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:29 PM

I had one for about a year. I got it from Ted at LA Guitar Sales and he ordered it for me with no pickup. It had better bass response than my parlor(s) but for me the parlors are really ideal and it was not being played (the parlor feels comfortable sitting or on a strap, fits a tight performance space well, and carries in a 3/4 case or gig bag). At the time I sold the CH-WS I bought the second parlor, the CO-PA. The 12 fret neck takes the RainSong brightness down a notch without losing any of the acoustic power.

The 12 fret no brace RainSong top, without the ablam soundhole decoration to stiffen the soundhole, gets some funny (admittedly very slight) distortions around the sound hole which was worse for my CH-WS than my CH-PA (the CO-PA is flat). As much as I knew it was normal for that instrument, it did bother me a bit.

I think it is definitely worth checking out and maybe you should also try out the CH-OM if you can.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-31-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:03 PM

The Rainsong WS is a fairly large guitar.

It's essentially a Taylor x14 size, but dreadnought depth. Great guitar, but if you play sitting down a lot, you might look at the OM size instead.

Honestly I think a perfect guitar would be if Rainsong made their OM the same depth as the WS, but that would take new molds so that will obviously never happen.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
The Rainsong WS is a fairly large guitar.

It's essentially a Taylor x14 size, but dreadnought depth. Great guitar, but if you play sitting down a lot, you might look at the OM size instead.

Honestly I think a perfect guitar would be if Rainsong made their OM the same depth as the WS, but that would take new molds so that will obviously never happen.

....with a non- cutaway and the ability to customize your neck. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Just sayin’
Old 03-30-2019, 11:19 PM

I own one and play it maybe 4 hours a week, mainly just at home. It's a great instrument. I tried the parlor, and while I'm sure I could get used to its smaller size, it felt small (I'm 6'-1").

I had the nut and bridge replaced with bone and had them intonated, and I am keeping D'Addario Silk EJ40 Steel Strings on it. To me the frequency response feels very flat across the audible spectrum, which I love. Theoretically the classic series is even flatter though.

It feels great, and sounds great. The only thing I don't care for (which is the case for my classical as well) is that there is no arm bevel, so after a couple of hours, the edge of the guitar can feel like it's eating into you. That's my ONLY complaint thus far, and it's not much of one if you ask me.

Good luck in finding the right guitar for you!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:28 PM

I also own one, and it's great. It's pretty big, as mentioned already, which leads to a boomy tone and lots of bass response. The OM body, by comparison, is less deep and a tad smaller, which costs the bass response but adds balance and clarity. The WS is basically as big as a dreadnought, but with a tighter waist and a cutaway, so it definitely has that power and projection.

I'm more of an at-home player now, but mine is gig-ready with the LR Baggs Element installed. And since it's composite, you know it will travel well.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the WS and the OM are the same body shape and lower bout width, differing only in body depth (5" deep for WS and 4-1/8" for OM).
Old 03-31-2019, 07:05 PM

I bought one for my son, it is a great guitar and for my ears the best sounding Rainsong available. Also, very versatile.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the WS and the OM are the same body shape and lower bout width, differing only in body depth (5" deep for WS and 4-1/8" for OM).
Since I have them handy:

My OM is 15 1/4" lower bout
My WS is 15 3/4
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Since I have them handy:

My WS is 15 3/4
Cutaways are also completely different profile. They're similar, but they are not the same shape, not the same mould.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 PM

I've got the Rainsong CH-OM hybrid series. 12 fret with a cutaway. Absolutely love this guitar. I've had it for about a year and has gotten most of my playing time. Great tone, defined bass and the easiest guitar I've ever played. I should add that I've got a number of high end wood guitars as well.

Martin 000-18GE, Rainsong CH-OM, Rainsong Vintage OM
Kopp NL, Kinscherff Concert,
Journey OF660
Old 04-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Since I have them handy:

My WS is 15 3/4
Silly me - I took the Rainsong web site at their word and they showed the same lower bout width for both OM and WS. But I never argue with actual data....

Back on topic, I really like the WS body size in all of its permutations - classic, C-H, H-WS, etc. I chose the classic all-woven WS-1000 years ago, but might choose the CH-WS these days, based in part on the great price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber