The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2018, 04:56 AM

Default K&K pure mini. instilation, tranducer infront or imbetween the string

hello. I will be installing a K&K pure mini into my guitar. I have watched about 5 different installation videos and am pretty confident I can install it.

my question is. I have noticed some people put there transducers in front of the string while others have put them in between. what is best?

In between the strings makes more sense to me but I might be wrong. if I put them in between the strings then I was thinking of putting the transducer that occupies the high E string a bit more to the right so It will pick up the volume of that string better?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 AM

From all that I have seen and read, you install them "in between".
The idea with the high "E" string for volume has also been suggested.
There are numerous videos available on You Tube regarding this.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 AM

I switched to putting the high E element in front of that string back when K&K first changed their recommendation. Since I've never done both in the same guitar, I can't say how important it is. However, my duo still gigs with my first install, an HD-28VR where the placement is in between. It sounds fine with good string balance. My RainSong CH-WS where I installed the high E element in front of the string also sounds fine with good string balance.

I intentionally made the high E string on my Baggs Element equipped RainSong CH-PA hotter (three little strips of paper) because when covering classic rock leads on an acoustic guitar I found it helpful (so much for my guitar only louder!).

I suspect whether it matters is potentially a function of the guitar in question, string choice, and the preconceived notions of the listener, but in any case not that big a deal.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-14-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM

I have K+K minis in 5 guitars. All are between pairs of strings. None have a problem with the high E string being low in volume.

I did have an install where the low E and A string were too quiet, but we traced that to a bad sensor, and the replacement works fine.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Go by the instructions and the guide. Or suffer the consequences.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Go by the instructions and the guide. Or suffer the consequences.
What Mr. Jelly said, absolutely. It's all here, straight from the horse's mouth....

http://www.kksound.com/pdf/puremini.pdf

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:24 AM

In the K&K instructions they indicate that tight x bracing may impeded the vibrations of the bridge plate next to the high e string. Moving the sensor to in front of the high e string compensates for this phenomenon.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:40 PM

Having only ever done one K&K install I have no real comparisons. I did all three at once on a template I made and measured for my guitar, a custom 000.

The bass and mid I put centred between the pins and the treble slightly more to the high side. Slightly nerve wracking, but I was happy once I plugged in. My luthier who was somewhat sceptical was also impressed.

Still have to tweak the EQ some but nothing drastic. I can play straight in but prefer a preamp.

Kris
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM

This is the BEST installation video for the K&K Mini. One step for installing all 3 transducers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJt2GJh28U
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
hello. I will be installing a K&K pure mini into my guitar. I have watched about 5 different installation videos and am pretty confident I can install it.

my question is. I have noticed some people put there transducers in front of the string while others have put them in between. what is best?

In between the strings makes more sense to me but I might be wrong. if I put them in between the strings then I was thinking of putting the transducer that occupies the high E string a bit more to the right so It will pick up the volume of that string better?
Hi T-i-m

I have 4 guitars with K&K Pure mini. Two were installed with the sensors between the 1st & 2nd strings, and then two were installed with the other configuration (when K&K changed their install instructions).

I think there is a lot of latitude with the K&K sensors, I use all 4 guitars through the same preamps with very similar results and little changes to the tone. And where I do adjust the tone differently for different guitars would be in the low-mid-range, not the treble.

If I had to characterize the high e string using K&K pickups, it would not be that they lack volume on the treble strings, but they seem to 'avoid' high frequencies/harmonics. They are not a bright pickup.

That said, they are very natural through PA systems and amps. Audiences like the sound of them, and that's what I really care about…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-14-2018, 03:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've never had a K&K install that didn't need a 4th disc to bolster a weak high E. And I've done a lot of them (~12). That's why my Ultra Tonic pickup comes with 4 elements, plus a 5th for feedback suppression.

And, BTW, there is a new way to install this type of pickup that I devised. It uses magnets as both guides and a clamp. It would be applicable to K&K as an alternative to their jig method. See the installation instructions download on my site for more info about the magnet method.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, installation, k&k pure mini, pick up