The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Pegasus is absolutely up there, but the maker doesn't really make many anymore from my understanding... they're getting harder to find.

Devine Guitars makes nice ones as well.

Now, with that being said, I'd never seek the Martin, Taylor, whoever of a type of instrument - I'd seek the best!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMoose View Post
Pegasus is absolutely up there, but the maker doesn't really make many anymore from my understanding... they're getting harder to find.

Devine Guitars makes nice ones as well.

Now, with that being said, I'd never seek the Martin, Taylor, whoever of a type of instrument - I'd seek the best!
Many would agree, and with good reason, that nothing really is better than a good older Martin soprano, concert, or tenor. Flashier woods, flashier binding perhaps, but not better. Though there's nothing quite like a '20s Martin 5K or any year of the Style 3 to give you that.

The only sorts of ukes that could be considered realistically regarding the original posting would be those builders with a reasonable expectation of longevity, IMO. There's plenty of single builders that have a wait list, and build excellent ukes per order, but what sort of output will they have when all is said and done? Nothing approaching Martin, Kamaka, Gibson.

So, what factories, in the vein of Martin and Taylor, are putting out good ukes these days? Plenty of cheapies abound, and plenty of good ukes that are made in one or two factories in Asia, but have different names. Even some factories in Java, Japan, and Asia that put out quality pieces, as well as a few now in Hawaii that have been going strong for a few years. I think those will be the ones to watch for those wanting a great, solid professional uke in the future.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM

Kamaka Ukes have been around a long time, and for many years the father and then his two sons prided themselves in consistently turning out a traditional koa uke. As the latest Kamaka family generation takes over from the two sons, they seem to be branching out a bit in terms of wood selection and uke looks. In these ways these guys are the Martins of the Uke world.

Kanile'a Ukulele is a newer company, and as a company has prided itself on using new techniques, construction and wood to build its ukes. In these ways, these guys are the Taylors of the uke world.

Both of these makers are located on Oahu, and as of last year both offer great tours of their facilities.

I'll note that Martin and a few of the smaller boutique guitar companies have been building more ukes recently...

Curtis

Last edited by Ceabeceabe; 04-03-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM

In regard to factory brands-

United States
Martin
Collings
Taylor
LoPrinzi
Breedlove
Martin and Collings seems to be the only one promoting their brand, Breedlove and Taylor don't appear to be serious except in the "boutique" market. I've only seen Taylor offering it as a twin to a guitar, and Breedlove isn't talked about much anymore. I believe they only made concert and tenors. Hey, makers.... if you can't make a soprano, how can I take you seriously?!?!

Hawaii
Kanilea
Kamaka
Ko'aloha
GString
The only "factory" operations I know of on the islands, although GString, Kanilea and Ko'aloha are smaller shops in terms of output, yet could still go on for many, many years, as there are techs that could take up the slack upon the demise of the original.

Asian
Pono
Eastman
Kiwaya
Pono is one to watch, solid factory, solid owner in John Kitakis of Ko'olau Ukulele in Hawaii. Oversees operations on a very tight basis, superb quality control.
Eastman is known for quality, let's see if it transfers to the ukes.
Kiwaya Japan is simply superb. This one rivals Martin, IMO. Old company, great luthiers, all price ranges.
I may have missed some, please add!

Could have mentioned Dave Means, David Newton, Mya Moe, Dave Talsma, but these are boutique, custom made stuff. I have 2 of the above mentioned names, and like 'em well enough, but these aren't "factory".

Edit: Breedlove, not Santa Cruz, and forgot Loprinzi, Donna and Augie make some good ones.

Last edited by Neal; 10-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 PM

As noted, on the Islands there are quite a number of individual makers. Shops like Ukulele Pua Pua on Oahu do a very good job of offering quite a variety of ukes... from starter kits, to the more well known small factories to the more individual makers. Their website has some nice pictures and little blurbs on the makers...

Curtis
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
As noted, on the Islands there are quite a number of individual makers. Shops like Ukulele Pua Pua on Oahu do a very good job of offering quite a variety of ukes... from starter kits, to the more well known small factories to the more individual makers. Their website has some nice pictures and little blurbs on the makers...

Curtis
Oh man, plenty of wonderful makers of ukes abound! Which ones in the future will be as coveted as a Martin Style 3? Style 5?! Or on the Gibson side, the Uke-3 or a 17 fret Uke-2? Hollywood ukes? A Johnny Marvin "Prince of Wales" uke? Le Domino uke? They made guitars on these platforms, or made ukes on those.... whatever, they are the collectibles of today, and tomorrow, because they PLAYED WELL.

Some of these old school ukes are wonderful players. Which company is gonna equal that, or better, how many companies are going to create ukes that will be desirable to the collector and the player in the future? Not "one-offs", but production?

It's a pretty interesting topic. This is a guitar forum, and it would be really cool to have a few builders and collectors give their opinions, cause right now, you just have.... well... us.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 PM

I love old Martins. I have a dozen or so. My favourite (this week) is a mid 30s Mahogany Concert. I also have a fondness for my 30s Soprano Koa.
In addition have a number of vintage Kamakas.

If I were shopping, I'd go to the Big Island and talk to Bob Gleason, Dennis Lake, and Chuck Moore. Fantastic builders and wonderful human beings. A bench made instrument is something wonderful. If you've never commissioned an instrument from a top maker, I urge you to experience it.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:59 AM

The older Kamaka's sound better than the moderns. You can try 'em out and find one that suits you. Don't forget to look into Koaloha and Kanilea. For the budget-minded, the Lanikai and Pono would be a couple of names that come to mind, but I don't know if these are constructed in the islands. Of the latter two, I thought the Pono sounded better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments