The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Song Idea

Hey guys, I'm working on an idea. This is a short clip of what I have but I will re-record it. The electric guitar will be replaced with acoustic too.

This is the chord progression: D7 - A - F#m - C#m7

What other chords fit in this key? I would love to hear your thoughts as well.

http://soundcloud.com/rocknpop-1/eterno-demo-idea
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Sounds good so far. You might try coming off the C#m7 to Bm7 - A - E as a transition or turn around. I found at least three variations in just a couple of minutes so, there are many directions you can go with this. Have fun experimenting.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Sounds good so far. You might try coming off the C#m7 to Bm7 - A - E as a transition or turn around. I found at least three variations in just a couple of minutes so, there are many directions you can go with this. Have fun experimenting.
I like that transition! Thank you for the idea. Question - did you mostly just fiddle around the scale to see what sounded good or did you follow a formula given the hook?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM

All of the standard progressions have already been written. Unless you write some experimental stuff that no one would care to listen to, studying what "sounds right" pretty much equates to studying the formulaic progressions that have been played time and again.

So if your tune is in the key of A, you can "naturally" throw in any chord that sits on the key of A, so A, Bm, C#m, D, E, F#m, B#m7.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell