The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM

I had a voice teacher who explained it something like this:

"See that piano there? It's a pretty good piano. If a very good player sat down and played, it would sound very good. Not as good as if he were playing a 9' Steinway, but it would still sound very good. The voice is the same way. We all have instruments. Some are better than others. It's how well you learn to play that instrument."

Most people can benefit greatly from vocal instruction. Even if you don't have a good natural "instrument", you can still learn to "play" it well and turn a mediocre/bad voice into a decent voice. If you have a good natural instrument, instruction can turn it into a very good singing voice.

The biggest obstacle in singing is learning to use head tone (also called head voice). This allows you to maximize your range, project better and have a more even tone from top to bottom. It also helps you to stay on pitch and will add a lot of depth to your voice. Unfortunately, most people will never learn how to use head tone without training.

If all you do is keep singing and hoping your voice will get better, it will undoubtedly improve. However, you most likely will not see dramatic results. With instruction, those dramatic results are quite possible (maybe even likely, depending on the teacher and how you take to instruction).
Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

ANYONE can learn how to sing! Granted, it's easier for some than others - and btw, it's quite common to not like the tone/sound of your voice, especially recorded. John Lennon hated the sound of his voice on record, was always pushing George Martin to find some "treatment" for his vocals...

Losing "the fear" is a huge part of singing - that and breathing correctly, keeping air in those lungs! Much needed to sustain any sort of tone...

I had the great pleasure of taking lessons from Ms. Judy Davis, of Oakland, California (RIP Judy!) - at one point, after several years of group classes, we asked Judy if she'd ever taught someone to sing who was tone-deaf. She responded "Yes", said she had taken it on as a challenge, to see if her methods worked with anyone... when we asked who the person was, she replied "I'm not going to tell you - you're still buying his records..."!!!

Go for it! Sing out loud and strong (or however you want) - but REALLY BELIEVE in what you're singing, what the song means to you. You CAN do this...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-31-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs-R-Me View Post
This is an interesting topic to me. I can't sing worth CRAP. I would be content to be just an "average" singer, but as it is, I'm probably among the worst 2% or 3% of ALL people who may try to sing occasionally.

Surprisingly, I have a very good speaking voice. My speaking voice is medium to deep in tone and carries/projects well. I've always tried to speak like the good radio/TV announcers do, and do a reasonably good job of doing so, but I can't sing for CRAP. When I try to sing, I'm so far off key it's laughable.

Another perhaps surprising thing is that I have a good ear for music/tone. I can sit down and (slowly) pick out a tune on a guitar just by listening to the notes I'm hitting and comparing them to what sounds right. Yet if I try to sing that song with my voice, I sound like I'm dying. Any suggestions?
I've known others in the same boat, including an outstanding pro guitarist. It'll never happen for him, sound like frog croaking when he sings. Probably has to do with the way our brains are wired. Oliver Sacks' Musicophilia is interesting in this regard.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:21 PM

OK, I watched this, and though I'd never have thought so, it is true: I can sing!

I have always thought that Johnny Cash could not sing (well). However, I enjoyed his music. An good voice is not the only requirement of producing a good song.

Now a question: any good book recommendations on how to become a better singer. On a 1-10 scale, I'm maybe a .5.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird

Last edited by garywj; 12-31-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:17 PM

Absolutely, anyone can be taught to sing--the ear can be trianed, the voice and musicles can be used to aim for and hit a range of pitches.

The only thing is, the voice we have is ours...some folks are born with a Martin D-28 of a timbre, others with a Silvertone with 3/4" high action above the fifth fret. But we can all be taught to use what we have.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywj View Post
Now a question: any good book recommendations on how to become a better singer.
I suppose it's possible a book might be able to help some people. However, I think singing is the musical ability that is least likely to be learnable from a book. The problem is that you're trying to learn to play an instrument that is part of your body. It is very unlikely you will ever be able to unlearn poor technique and learn proper technique by using books or videos. If you truly want to become a better singer, you really should look into vocal instruction.

By the way, taking private lessons is not the only avenue available. Colleges and community colleges often offer voice classes that are quite affordable. Check around.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrwanka View Post
I can sing on pitch . . . .Can you be taught to sing well or is it natural?
If you can find the pitch, that's the biggest part of the battle. The rest is technique and you practice it like you pratice any instrument. Everyone I know who sings well has practiced to some degree; it didn't just happen.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 AM

OK, I watched it. My dog got up and left the room. I still don't consider myself a singer, but after watching that there may be hope.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Yeah that's bad.
But you need to hear the real classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV0MtVWIN8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw07C...eature=related
etc etc
- this woman actually made records (obviously while the engineers were rolling on the floor, tears of joy streaming down their cheeks...)
Old 01-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Well it's the new year and I'm going to take some voice lessons and see where that goes. Luckily I have a couple places to get lessons from. Maybe if i get good enough I'll post a video!

Electric
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Blues Junior
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Yeah that's bad.
But you need to hear the real classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV0MtVWIN8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw07C...eature=related
etc etc
- this woman actually made records (obviously while the engineers were rolling on the floor, tears of joy streaming down their cheeks...)
Mrs. Miller was indeed the William Hung of her generation, but you ought to get her side of the story:

http://www.mrsmillersworld.com/whois_bin/WhoIs.html
Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM

I'm wanting to start singing as well.

I've found to start humming can gradually ease you into full blown singing.

Not to hijack this thread but are there others out there that started to do the humming thing and gradually move slowly to full blown singing ?

That's how i am approaching this singing conundrum. My neighbors sure appreciate this !

Harmonics101

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write