The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-30-2010, 05:59 PM

Yes, that is good news! I'm happy to hear that it worked out for you...
Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Two things I would suggest about playing "Here Comes the Sun".

Firstly, if you are going to play it as a solo piece, then learn to play it fingerstyle. Certainly none of the flatpicked efforts on Youtube are worth anything. Until Tony Rice comes along ro show how to flatpick it, go fingerstyle.

Secondly, you will find it advantageous to use two capos, one covering all six strings at the fifth fret, and the other (which has to be a Shubb), covering the top five with the bass left depressed at the fifth. This will give a very useful Drop-D effect, which adds a lot of depth to the melody.

FWIW, the finest instrumental rendition I have ever heard of this tune was by the Swedish classical guitarist Göran Söllscher. It was absolutely jaw-dropping. I only heard it once, on the radio, years ago, and though the song is over, yet the melody lingers on...
Taylorplayer, I flatpick the version I sent you "quite well". I would NOT try to fingerpick that version. Most of the song is chord strum/single note melody picking. Not sure if the George Harrison/Paul Simon duet (from Saturday Night Live) is still on YouTUbe, but that's the most "authentic" version to watch, George flatpicking on a Martin (12-er, IIRC).

Not sure about a "Drop D" configuration. The lowest string (B with capo 7) is only played 5 times during the bridge, and at the end, so...? If you get to the point of wanting to embellish it, go for it!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Taylorplayer, I flatpick the version I sent you "quite well". I would NOT try to fingerpick that version. Most of the song is chord strum/single note melody picking. Not sure if the George Harrison/Paul Simon duet (from Saturday Night Live) is still on YouTUbe, but that's the most "authentic" version to watch, George flatpicking on a Martin (12-er, IIRC).

Not sure about a "Drop D" configuration. The lowest string (B with capo 7) is only played 5 times during the bridge, and at the end, so...? If you get to the point of wanting to embellish it, go for it!
Thanks again Marty -- I do appreciate it very much.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
You wouldn't want an actual Drop-D (ie the bass E tuned down a tone) when playing at the seventh fret, no way, but what I suggested was using two capos, and this has no downside, other than the remote disadvantage that you have to use your thumb if you want an actual E in the bass (yes, I know it's not really an "E", but you know what I mean.)

The double capo trick is extremely effective in many situations, particularly if you want to sing a song in F or F#.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You wouldn't want an actual Drop-D (ie the bass E tuned down a tone) when playing at the seventh fret, no way,........
Why not? It's never been a problem for me.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 PM

My thanks to each of you for sharing that info. with me!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write